VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all first excuse me my english because is not my first language but I trying to do my best

So, the thing is I need to encode or pass some movies that are in MKV H264 to H254 10 bit I tried DVDfab but I dont know why get me a file size more big than original.

So I tried Handbrake in H265 Nvidia HEVC and the same result, now I try Handbrake but not Nvidia option, just H265- 10 bit and says it will be about 9 hours

As you can see I dont know exactly what program to use for encode to H265, could you recomend some especific?

Thank you in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. IMHO H.264-H.265 conversions are a waste of time.. And the smaller sizes you will get is not worth the time and effort you put into itToo long to encode a H.265 with the wrong/underpowered hardware..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    IMHO H.264-H.265 conversions are a waste of time.. And the smaller sizes you will get is not worth the time and effort you put into it.
    And, since the quality will be worse no matter what you do, I agree that the whole idea is beyond stupid.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    why get me a file size more big than original.
    Universally:

Code:
    stream size = bitrate * running_time
    The file size is the sum of the sizes of all the streams plus a little overhead for the container. So if you want a smaller file use a lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    IMHO H.264-H.265 conversions are a waste of time.. And the smaller sizes you will get is not worth the time and effort you put into itToo long to encode a H.265 with the wrong/underpowered hardware..
    I nderstand so, what about if I like to encode a Bluray disc into some MKV in 265? there´s some?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    So, the thing is I need to encode or pass some movies that are in MKV H264 to H254 10 bit...
    Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    I nderstand so, what about if I like to encode a Bluray disc into some MKV in 265? there´s some?
    If it's in the MKV container then it's no longer a Blu-Ray, but has already been reencoded at least once before you most likely downloaded it illegally. The site rules don't support warez questions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    IMHO H.264-H.265 conversions are a waste of time.. And the smaller sizes you will get is not worth the time and effort you put into itToo long to encode a H.265 with the wrong/underpowered hardware..
    Agree 100%. x265 is a better codec than AVC x264 it's not THAT much better. There is no magic codec/format that will overcome the fact that you're talking about reencoding from one lossy format to another. You're getting good advice above, don't just let it go right over your head because you don';t want to hear it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Encoding to h265 takes more time, much more time and it will tax your computer heavily until it is done. How big a screen are you going to watch these new encodes on? I encode my Hauppauge HD PVR recordings to 360p and I have done both .h264 and .h265 for the same files. For example I have a video that is around 43 minutes. The .h264 mp4 encode is 181 mb with an overall bit rate of 447 kbs for a 640 x 360 video. The .h265 mp4 encode is 123 mb with an overall bit rate of 258 kbs. I use Vidcoder and have saved a preset for each of these tasks. I use a "constant quality of 22" on the .h265 video and a "constant quality of 20" on the .h264 mp4 encode. I used to encode to .mkv but switched to .mp4 because Windows shows the specs more readily for the files. Probably the .h264 mp4 encode would be around 18 minutes on my i5 computer and the .h265 encode would be at least 43 minutes. The videos look fine to me on the 20 inch screen I usually watch them on and I have watched them on a 24 inch screen and they look fine to me.

Maybe you should just buy yourself some additional hard drives and just store them and not bother with all this time encoding. These other members have given you good advice. My video encodes probably look horrible on a large screen. I am content with a smaller screen for the most part so they are good enough for my tastes. As of late I have been mostly encoding to .h265 because it does save me considerable space on the hard drives I store them on, however I have a nice media player that plays most files but not .h265 so now I am making .h264 encodes for certain videos for that media player. Thankfully Kodi in the Android Box plays the .h265 files smoothly. The media player is a nicer experience because it has play, pause, fast forward, rewind and a goto buttons on the remote. I got it for around 40 bucks and it has output to composite as well for older TVs and actually I am using composite on that bedroom TV because the HDMI stopped working. We are planning on replacing that TV but we are on a spending diet as we have a big project coming up and money has to be saved to try to pay for it all.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 7th Jan 2019 at 08:39.
    Quote Quote