VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am using Aone CD-R blank discs, I use Nero 7 software. I get a error message just before the burn saying: Burning/Writing Failed. I have tried burning in two different CD-R writer, I still get the same problem. I even went to ask the owner of CD-R discs, he said there are no issues with these discs. I have had this issue before with dvd-r using the best brands TDK. I get the sane issue with using deep burner and ashampoo. I m stuck, can anyone help?

    kind regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    what kind of files are you trying to burn to the CD-R discs ??
    try a different burner such as imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    I even went to ask the owner of CD-R discs, he said there are no issues with these discs.
    What?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    I even went to ask the owner of CD-R discs, he said there are no issues with these discs.
    What?
    Yeah, what he said..

    Huh?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    i even went to ask the owner of cd-r discs, he said there are no issues with these discs.
    what?

    mp3 to cd burn in cd-r disc

    avi to dvd-r burn in data dvd
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    I even went to ask the owner of CD-R discs, he said there are no issues with these discs.
    What?
    Yeah, what he said..

    Huh?
    I bought discs from eBay, seller said he cannot issue refund as it has been over 30days. I bought discs last yr august. I still have 3 packsof the sealed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are you able to write any other disc ? I mean different manufacturer? Perhaps this is HW malfunction (dirty lens)? We use nowadays so rarely writers so we can't even realise when they fail until such situations. I would check reputable media (single disc) bought in near supermarket. If reputable media works OK then i would suspect that something is NOK with those from ebay but if also decent brand media from reliable source fail then i would start digging in my computer (HW and/or SW issue). CDRW (rewritable many times) media are more sensitive to any deterioration i would buy CD-RW disc to check if everything works OK even if they are more expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Are you able to write any other disc ? I mean different manufacturer? Perhaps this is HW malfunction (dirty lens)? We use nowadays so rarely writers so we can't even realise when they fail until such situations. I would check reputable media (single disc) bought in near supermarket. If reputable media works OK then i would suspect that something is NOK with those from ebay but if also decent brand media from reliable source fail then i would start digging in my computer (HW and/or SW issue). CDRW (rewritable many times) media are more sensitive to any deterioration i would buy CD-RW disc to check if everything works OK even if they are more expensive.
    Thanks for your reply. After reading your message I started thinking. I am 90% sure there is no issue with any of the discs, even if I use cheap quality disc, there is no issue. As in the past I burned different CD and DVD branded discs on one writer only. After exchanging computers and writers I started getting these issues, therefore I believe it perhaps is the writer. I am currently using an external Samsung burner/writer bought years ago but not much used. Any suggestions to buying which brand of external CD/DVD writer?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    You are adding the data amount of the MP3 files or data amount of the AVI files to the "project".
    Those amounts balloon up substantially when converting to WAV or MPEG2 video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    After exchanging computers and writers I started getting these issues, therefore I believe it perhaps is the writer. I am currently using an external Samsung burner/writer bought years ago but not much used. Any suggestions to buying which brand of external CD/DVD writer?
    IMHO it is way cheaper to buy good reliable disc and test if you can write data on it than go for new recorder/writer. Can't recommend any brand - nowadays it is quite difficult to choose as this is niche product and not many people can share their experience.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Surely if you are getting an error message BEFORE you even start to burn a disk it is not the writer.

    If a burn fails it could be the writer or the disks. Or even both.

    First I would test the writer by actually playing a CD in it. Also ensure that your PC is actually reporting the correct drive letter for the drive and that the software is also set up for that drive letter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Surely if you are getting an error message BEFORE you even start to burn a disk it is not the writer.

    If a burn fails it could be the writer or the disks. Or even both.

    First I would test the writer by actually playing a CD in it. Also ensure that your PC is actually reporting the correct drive letter for the drive and that the software is also set up for that drive letter.
    Ive just tried playing a CD on the writer, it plays fine.

    I get an error message before writing/burning onto the CD-r disc and DVD-r.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    After exchanging computers and writers I started getting these issues, therefore I believe it perhaps is the writer. I am currently using an external Samsung burner/writer bought years ago but not much used. Any suggestions to buying which brand of external CD/DVD writer?
    IMHO it is way cheaper to buy good reliable disc and test if you can write data on it than go for new recorder/writer. Can't recommend any brand - nowadays it is quite difficult to choose as this is niche product and not many people can share their experience.
    What is IMHO?

    No. It is cheaper to buy cheaper disc and an expensive writer. However for best results its best to get the best of both.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Image
    [Attachment 47736 - Click to enlarge]
    Are these discs any good, please see attached.
    Last edited by alih786; 5th Jan 2019 at 12:29. Reason: Add image
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

    And IMHO these are unknown, probably rebranded, rubbish.

    Look for Verbatim AZO

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0...dvd-r&_sacat=0
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    +1

    The only proven quality DVD blanks are Verbatim AZO and Taiyo Yuden, both available from Amazon. Read here to be sure you're getting real AZO Verbatims. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391271-Best-CD-and-DVD-media

    Also, explain exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

    If you're trying to convert and burn .mp3 to a CD compatible disc (i.e. not just .mp3 as data on a disc), you're limited by time ~70 minutes max on CD as the files must be converted from .mp3 to .wav as Hech54 stated.

    Same with converting an .avi to a Video DVD format. You're limited to ~2 hours max.

    Also, have you tried using Imgburn as suggested? Nero is not recommended by any regulars here because of numerous issues reported.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    +1

    The only proven quality DVD blanks are Verbatim AZO and Taiyo Yuden, both available from Amazon. Read here to be sure you're getting real AZO Verbatims. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391271-Best-CD-and-DVD-media

    Also, explain exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

    If you're trying to convert and burn .mp3 to a CD compatible disc (i.e. not just .mp3 as data on a disc), you're limited by time ~70 minutes max on CD as the files must be converted from .mp3 to .wav as Hech54 stated.

    Same with converting an .avi to a Video DVD format. You're limited to ~2 hours max.

    Also, have you tried using Imgburn as suggested? Nero is not recommended by any regulars here because of numerous issues reported.
    I understand what your saying friend yes mp3 to CD -- my intention was to burn as an audio CD not data CD. But with avi to DVD - my intention is to burn as data.

    I have not tried IMG in many years, I will give it a go,however I'm certain it'll be the same issue as with Nero, deep burner, ashampoo etc..

    In my opinion I believe all burning programs are good. I'm surprised you say Nero isn't as its a branded name, one of the best.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Nero was the best........

    .....maybe 10+ years ago. It changed from a dedicated CD burning tool to a 'do everything' and not very good at most of them.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Blank CD technology has matured to the point where almost all writable CDs are the same, unlike DVDs where only Verbatim AZO and Taiyo Yuden are the only top quality brands. Also TDK hasn't been the "best brand" for many years. Like almost every other brand name, they've been rebranding lower quality (i.e. cheap) second tier media with their own name. Buying TDK, Sony, Maxell, etc. branded discs means nothing now because it's still lower quality discs.

    As Hech54 stated, if you're trying to convert and burn an .mp3 to a CD compatible disc, each track will be much larger as it's converted to .wav. The limit on a CD is primarily time, ~72-74 min. max.

    Same with converting an .avi to a DVD Video disc. The .avi will be converted to MPEG 2 and become much larger. Again, time is the primary limit, ~2 hours.

    Post exactly what type of error message you're getting. For example: If it's a "buffer underrun" message, it means you hard drive or memory isn't providing the data fast enough for the burner to write to the disk.

    Also, use only Imgburn as suggested for burning. This is the only reccommended burning program for CDs or DVDs. Few if any regulars here use anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    If it's really Verbatim AZO, yes. However as I stated in thread I linked to earlier, be sure the seller will take returns if it isn't AZO. Personally, I'd spend the a little extra and buy direct from Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    There is one other possibility here.

    You state you are using Nero 7. This is a particularily old version of the program. Nero was one program notorious for not recognising more recent burners - an issue I had myself.

    So if your burner is much newer than this version of the program......
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    No. It is cheaper to buy cheaper disc and an expensive writer. However for best results its best to get the best of both.
    Cheaper discs are usually worse quality and audio CD have almost no ECC (Error Correction Code) that's why years ago all discs was tested for C2/C1 and other errors. Idea is to not only write but also read without excessive number of errors after some time.
    I would perform gentle writer cleaning, remove dust, you can try blow away dust from lens with help of Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber-pear-stock-photo-653406.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	47741 - fine dust is enemy of optic - especially smoking persons suffer from such issues with optics. Don't use compressed air canister especially direct stream on lens area - it may rupture coils holding lens.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Image
    [Attachment 47742 - Click to enlarge]
    Image
    [Attachment 47743 - Click to enlarge]


    Well now this is a surprise. I used imgburn software. It took awhile to burn though.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Verify burn ---- is this a necessity, what are its benefits? It takes ages to burn with checking this.

    I still got an issue while inserting the disc -- after inserting, it would make the same noise over and over again as if it isn't reading --- but this is not all the time, sometimes.

    I would like to thank all the people who have helped me with this. I hadlost hope that I would never be able to burn a CD using the discs I currently have. I used Aone CD-R.(Chinese brand).
    Apologies if grammar or spelling mistake,I'm using my phone.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a CD ?

    Imgburn shows it writing at 8x. Most CDs these days will be at least 24x or even faster. 8x is for dvd. No wonder the burn is slow. Check the imgburn settings but if it does not recognise this media it may default to a slow speed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the CDs are 800MB [Edit: Should be 900MB / 99 minutes* which are known to be bad because they're well of out of the 700MB / 80 minutes specs of regular CDs. This is likely your problem. AFAIK, Nero won't allow Overburn, with a max 700MB / 80 minutes per disc, but Imgburn will. Many CD players won't recognize or play anything larger than 700MB or 80 minutes.

    Try burning a max of 700MB / 74 minutes and see if that works. However, even if it does, use the remaining discs only for things you don't care about, as I've said, 800MB [Edit: Should be 900MB] / 99 minute discs are known to be bad quality as they're manufactured well outside of regular CD specs.

    * I couldn't figure out how the report showed 835,007,040 bytes and 78:55:44 time which is impossible to burn (or at least highly unlikely) for a regular 700MB / 74 minute disc. Then I noticed the Disc ID: 97m27s18f which indicates a 99 minute disc.

    Edit: This is probably why Imgburn defaulted to 8X, since these are out of spec discs.
    Last edited by lingyi; 5th Jan 2019 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    It looks like the CDs are 800MB / 99 minutes* which are known to be bad because they're well of out of the 700MB / 80 minutes specs of regular CDs. This is likely your problem. AFAIK, Nero won't allow Overburn, with a max 700MB / 80 minutes per disc, but Imgburn will. Many CD players won't recognize or play anything larger than 700MB or 80 minutes.

    Try burning a max of 700MB / 74 minutes and see if that works. However, even if it does, use the remaining discs only for things you don't care about, as I've said, 800MB / 99 minute discs are known to be bad quality as they're manufactured well outside of regular CD specs.

    * I couldn't figure out how the report showed 835,007,040 bytes and 78:55:44 time which is impossible to burn (or at least highly unlikely) for a regular 700MB / 74 minute disc. Then I noticed the Disc ID: 97m27s18f which indicates a 99 minute disc.

    Edit: This is probably why Imgburn defaulted to 8X, since these are out of spec discs.
    Friend you are mistaken. These are 80min discs. Ive never seen a CD below 80mins/700MB. My total time is within the 80mins, 78mins it is. Look on screenshot.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Also, while Imgburn allows overburning (i.e. a minute or two over the max 80 minutes), don't do it. Just as with DVDs should never be burned to their full capacity or beyond. The reason is, optical discs are burned from the inside out with the overburned data on the outer edge of the disc which may not be as evenly coated or damaged, especially on CDs. Some reader mechanisms, especially on CD readers have a mechanical limit on how close to the edge they can move/read. This is especially true with cheap CD players which are built to the original CD specs, 650MB / 74 minutes.

    Bottom line, never burn to more than 650 MB / 74 minutes on a CD, 4 GB on a DVD, video or data.

    Note that unlike a Video DVD, where the video data type Mpeg-1 or Mpeg-2 and size can vary, CD audio is limited to 44.1 KHZ 16 bit stereo. If you use each channel separately as mono, you can double to the playing time as Techmoan demonstrates here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fG1crhGqI0
    Last edited by lingyi; 5th Jan 2019 at 16:34.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    It looks like the CDs are 800MB / 99 minutes* which are known to be bad because they're well of out of the 700MB / 80 minutes specs of regular CDs. This is likely your problem. AFAIK, Nero won't allow Overburn, with a max 700MB / 80 minutes per disc, but Imgburn will. Many CD players won't recognize or play anything larger than 700MB or 80 minutes.

    Try burning a max of 700MB / 74 minutes and see if that works. However, even if it does, use the remaining discs only for things you don't care about, as I've said, 800MB / 99 minute discs are known to be bad quality as they're manufactured well outside of regular CD specs.

    * I couldn't figure out how the report showed 835,007,040 bytes and 78:55:44 time which is impossible to burn (or at least highly unlikely) for a regular 700MB / 74 minute disc. Then I noticed the Disc ID: 97m27s18f which indicates a 99 minute disc.

    Edit: This is probably why Imgburn defaulted to 8X, since these are out of spec discs.
    Friend you are mistaken. These are 80min discs. Ive never seen a CD below 80mins/700MB. My total time is within the 80mins, 78mins it is. Look on screenshot.
    650MB / 60 minute CDRs are the original Redbook standard and are still available. It's just that the 80 min/700MB discs are more common. There are also 74 min/700MB discs which came out before the larger size.

    As I stated above, you're probably too close to the max capacity of the disc. Reduce your time to less than 74 minutes and try again.

    Also, the ID seems to indicate it's a 99min blank. I don't have any blank or burned CDs to test, but I don't believe it makes sense if it's a 80 min blank. Run CDR Identifier and post the results.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads