VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there guys,

I'm some-what new to the encoding process but I've been doing trail & error almost all year in trying different bitrates, encoders, aspect ratios, and filters. But I'm not getting the results I'm looking for as far as HD quality videos from the programs I've used.

My goals are to rip cartoons and movie DVDs that never got the digitally remastered treatment and give them a much better quality look almost to HD if possible. Plus trying to restore video game FMVs, mostly PlayStation 1 for the sake of preserving them for historical purposes.

The programs I've used have been Handbrake and VirtualDub. Now I've been studying up on other programs of properly encoding along with better deinteracing, denoise and color correcting. My research has lead me to a very known program AviSnyth yet I'm new to the script typing process.

Now I've tried to look at a few tutorials online of how to install it properly into my computer but still not working correctly.

Here are the specs of my computer

Code:
    Type - Desktop

OS - Windows 10 (Home 64x)

CPU - AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C =8G   3.50GHz

GCU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

RAM - 12.0GB
    Right now I'm trying rip a CGI movie based on the G.I. Joe toy lineup, but getting poor results from between doing the MakeMKV to VirtualDub process.

Here's the mediainfo

Code:
    CompleteName                      G.I. Joe - SpyTroops\G.I. Joe - SpyTroops.mkv
    Format/String                    : Matroska
    Format_Version                   : Version 2
    FileSize/String                  : 2.33 GiB
    Duration/String                  : 46 min 16 s
    OverallBitRate_Mode/String       : Constant
    OverallBitRate/String            : 7 198 kb/s
    Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2018-12-29 17:49:29
    Encoded_Application/String       : MakeMKV v1.14.2 win(x64-release)
    Encoded_Library/String           : libmakemkv v1.14.2 (1.3.5/1.4.7) win(x64-release)

Video
    ID/String                        : 1
    OriginalSourceMedium_ID/String   : 224 (0xE0)
    Format/String                    : MPEG Video
    Format_Version                   : Version 2
    Format_Profile                   : Main@Main
    Format_Settings                  : BVOP
    Format_Settings_BVOP/String      : Yes
    Format_Settings_Matrix/String    : Default
    Format_Settings_GOP              : M=3, N=13
    Format_Settings_PictureStructure : Frame
    CodecID                          : V_MPEG2
    CodecID/Info                     : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
    BitRate_Mode/String              : Constant
    BitRate/String                   : 7 000 kb/s
    Width/String                     : 720 pixels
    Height/String                    : 480 pixels
    DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 4:3
    FrameRate_Mode/String            : Constant
    FrameRate/String                 : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Standard                         : NTSC
    ColorSpace                       : YUV
    ChromaSubsampling/String         : 4:2:0
    BitDepth/String                  : 8 bits
    ScanType/String                  : Interlaced
    ScanOrder/String                 : Top Field First
    Compression_Mode/String          : Lossy
    Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.676
    TimeCode_FirstFrame              : 00:01:29:00
    TimeCode_Source                  : Group of pictures header
    Gop_OpenClosed/String            : Open
    StreamSize/String                : 2.26 GiB (97%)
    Language/String                  : English
    Default/String                   : No
    Forced/String                    : No
    colour_primaries                 : BT.601 NTSC
    transfer_characteristics         : BT.601
    matrix_coefficients              : BT.601
    Original source medium           : DVD-Video

Audio
    ID/String                        : 2
    OriginalSourceMedium_ID/String   : 189 (0xBD)128 (0x80)
    Format/String                    : AC-3
    Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
    Format_Commercial_IfAny          : Dolby Digital
    CodecID                          : A_AC3
    BitRate_Mode/String              : Constant
    BitRate/String                   : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s)/String                : 2 channels
    ChannelLayout                    : L R
    SamplingRate/String              : 48.0 kHz
    FrameRate/String                 : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    BitDepth/String                  : 16 bits
    Compression_Mode/String          : Lossy
    StreamSize/String                : 63.6 MiB (3%)
    Title                            : Stereo
    Language/String                  : English
    ServiceKind/String               : Complete Main
    Default/String                   : Yes
    Forced/String                    : No
    Original source medium           : DVD-Video

Menu
    00:00:00.000                     : en:Chapter 01
    00:09:21.294                     : en:Chapter 02
    00:15:52.985                     : en:Chapter 03
    00:20:12.377                     : en:Chapter 04
    00:26:24.549                     : en:Chapter 05
    00:32:29.347                     : en:Chapter 06
    00:41:43.701                     : en:Chapter 07
    This time I want to try using AviSnyth to see if it will give me a much better results with deinteracing, denoising, cropping, and resizing but need help trying to install the program correctly in order to do so. I'm willing to spend the time necessary in getting the best results.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SamFinisher View Post
    Now I've tried to look at a few tutorials online of how to install it properly into my computer but still not working correctly.
    What doesn't work?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I looked at a couple tutorial that was done in 2015 and another that was most recent. The problem I'm coming across for AviSynth or AviSynth+ is I can't figure out which one I'll need more in order to run AvsPMod or do I need both for it work. Plus don't know what commands to type in to start the encode process. I want to encode the video from d2v to MKV with the filters I need. Yes it says on the top it was converted already to MKV but I rendered another that's d2v from DGIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Then you test out your script in VDub (or VDub2) to make sure it works and does what you want. Then you open that same script in an encoder that takes AviSynth scripts as input and can do the encoding for you. There are many. VDub2, RipBot264, Hybrid, are three that can do the job.

You could also post a short sample from the source for some more informed suggestions.

I believe AvsPMod is only for AviSynth (not the plus version).
    Last edited by manono; 30th Dec 2018 at 01:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SamFinisher View Post
    The problem I'm coming across for AviSynth or AviSynth+ is I can't figure out which one I'll need more in order to run AvsPMod or do I need both for it work.
    Either will work. You only need one.

Plus don't know what commands to type in
    That depends on the source. For MPEG 2 in MKV I would start by demuxing the video with MkvExtractGUI, then use DgIndex to build an index file from that MPG file, then open index file in AviSynth with Mpeg2Source("whatever.d2v").

to start the encode process.
    Note that AviSynth doesn't encode anything. It opens a file, filters it, then feeds uncompressed frames to another program -- an editor, encoder, or media player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry for the late response, its been hectic since the start of the year.

Anyway, I've tried to follow the directions of this guy on YouTube on installing AviSynth+ but had a video tutorial for just AviSynth. The problems I'm facing is that avisynth.dll either in System32 or SysWOW64 isn't letting me use "SetMTMod" and the plugins seem to be for a 64 bit version of AviSynth its not +.

Here's how I arranged the files, maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't know.
    [Attachment 47883 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47884 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47885 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47882 - Click to enlarge]

I just need some guidance on how to correctly install the program either AviSnyth or AviSynth+ on a 64 bit computer with all the settings including "SetMTMode" which isn't coming up for some reason using AvsPMod.

Update: I've since deleted all the files so I can start from scratch and do this installation right.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SamFinisher View Post

I just need some guidance on how to correctly install the program either AviSnyth or AviSynth+ on a 64 bit computer with all the settings including "SetMTMode" which isn't coming up for some reason using AvsPMod.
    SetMTMode is for the old avisynth 2.6 MT classic , not avisynth+ MT

Avisynth+ Mt uses prefetch(some number) at the end of the script. And SetFilterMTMode at the beginning (some filters require different modes)

Code:
    SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", 2)

Prefetch(8)

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B#Setting_MT_modes
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well that makes a lot of since, so AviSnyth+ uses SetFilter instead of SetMT. What about the plugins for AviSnyth+, which ones are 64 bit and where do I place them to?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by SamFinisher View Post
    Well that makes a lot of since, so AviSnyth+ uses SetFilter instead of SetMT. What about the plugins for AviSnyth+, which ones are 64 bit and where do I place them to?
    SetFilterMTMode

x64 plugins
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B_x64_plugins

plugins64+ folder by default; but some people specify different directories

Or load them in the script in some other directory with LoadPlugin() to reduce clutter or to debug directory issues
    Quote Quote  
  10. Gotcha, I'm already downloading them now. What about the avisynth.dll, FFTW.dll and libfftw3f-3.dll, do I still need to install them and where do I put them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by SamFinisher View Post
    What about the avisynth.dll, FFTW.dll and libfftw3f-3.dll, do I still need to install them and where do I put them?
    for x64 , they go in System32.

avisynth.dll should already be there

FFTW.dll is older, the newer FFTW builds are libfftw3-3.dll, libfftw3f-3.dll

x86 items go in SysWOW64 . (e.g. some people have both x86 , x64 avisynth versions concurrently installed)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Manono, PDR, how the hell are you people? C'mere and give your uncle scooby a kiss!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

for x64 , they go in System32.

avisynth.dll should already be there

FFTW.dll is older, the newer FFTW builds are libfftw3-3.dll, libfftw3f-3.dll

x86 items go in SysWOW64 . (e.g. some people have both x86 , x64 avisynth versions concurrently installed)
    Okay I'm finally getting some progress going with AviSynth+, but having a issue with doing QTGMC. Can I use QTGMC on +? I'm trying to denoise and sharpen a little bit of the video that's CGI or is there a better denoise tool for +?

[Attachment 47913 - Click to enlarge]

Also why isn't FFMpegSource2 working?
    [Attachment 47914 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by SamFinisher; 26th Jan 2019 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  14. QTGMC is a deinterlacer. You normally wouldn't use it for denoising and sharpening (some of it's side effects are denoising and sharpening). But on some low quality, problematic sources it can sometimes be useful outside of it's deinterlacing function

You need QTGMC.avsi and ffms2.avsi for those functions. If ever in doubt, search the avisynth.nl wiki. It will list various links and prerequisites . "avsi" are autoloading when placed in the plugins directory, or you can use Import("whatever.avsi") in the script

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FFmpegSource
    Quote Quote  
  15. The ffms2.avsi file shouldn't be required for FFVideoSource2. From The changelog:

- avisynth: Moved all source functions in ffms2.avsi into the actual plugin (Myrsloik)

You should also be able to use ffms2() instead of FFMpegSource2(), and if you're only opening video, maybe use FFVideoSource() instead, so ffms2 won't bother indexing the audio.

Aside from QTGMC and FFMpegSource2, the other functions you're using are native to Avisynth, so I assume plugins aren't being loaded.

Try loading them manually at the top of the script, from wherever they're located:

Import("D:\Some Location'\QTGMC.avsi")
    LoadPlugin("D:\Some Location'\ffms2.dll")

I'm still using XP so I can only ask.... does your screenshot showing Avisynth+ installed to the Program Files (x86) folder with a 64 bit plugins folder make sense?
    To me that implies you're running a 32 bit version of Avisynth and trying to load 64 bit plugins, but I could be totally wrong.

I use QTGMC for denoising quite a bit. It's not without some side effects (being a de-interlacer) but as a general rule I find it better than most de-noising scripts. If you're not de-interlacing though (your source is progressive) you should use it in progressive mode.

QTGMC(InputType=1, EzDenoise=1.5) #denoise values between 1 and 2 are usually enough.
    or for a bit of a speedup
    QTGMC(InputType=1, Preset="medium", EzDenoise=1.5)

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1855055#post1855055
    Quote Quote