VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine works for a company that is into digitalizing analog video.

A year or what ago, they bought a ADVC 110 converter to go from analog to digital.

They bought Adobe Premiere Elements 14, but that doesn't seem to recognize the ADVC.

If I look in device manager the computer (Windows 7) recognizes the ADVC with the status "this device is working properly".

So because the computer recognizes the device, APE14 must be the problem.

In the time we installed we simply used Windows Movie Maker as a workaround and we had to do this with a file that was in the Windows Live directory and a file called WDXAcquireVideoWizard. This worked

The problem is, that that file has gone AWOL and Microsoft doesn't suppport Windows Live anymore.

So I would like to find another program to import video from analog cameras and VCR's.

The switch is properly set to analog, but I don't see anything when I use a capture program, just black. However if I wait long enough I see "noise lines", so it must be getting some sort of input signal.
    I would like to find a solution to capture analog video using the ADVC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    What capture program? Source player? Composite or s-video? PAL, I presume? How are the DIP switches set?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be not detailed enough.
    The capture program WAS Windows Movie Maker, but that's not working anymore because of the missing file WDXVideoRequireWizard (or something like that).
    So I was looking for an alternative and I installed it on the buisness computer (I have no access to that computer now, because of the holidays)
    Unfortunately I forgot what I installed, but in the meantime I discovered Debut, which seems to be good, but again I don't have access now to try it.

We use composite (with a SCART to composite adapter for the VHS and the Video Out on the Betamax, the Betamax has a copy protection unfortunately, which I know if we use the HDD recorder it says "the device has copy protection).

But for the VHS the Canopus has worked before, the dipswitches should be set OK (again can't try now), because they are never touched and it worked before

And indeed PAL.
    Last edited by Knientje; 26th Dec 2018 at 09:02. Reason: Forgot to mention PAL
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If I was doing this for a living I wouldn't use a DV capture device, I would use a decent USB or PCI capture device that can capture lossless AVI RGB or YUV @ 4:2:2 chroma sub and from there depends on what the customer wants, it could be DV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or if the customer is savvy enough he could have the raw files and do whatever he wants with them. With a DV locked capture device you don't have another choice without converting a lossy DV to another lossy formats.
    When a customer pays he is entitled to a high quality service.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Knientje View Post
    A friend of mine works for a company that is into digitalizing analog video.
    A year or what go, they bought a ADVC 110 converter to go from analog to digital.
    That was a mistake.
    DV is really lossy, and is tech from the days of Pentium III computers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really thought this forum was called VideoHelp.

Why not just help the OP rather than criticize the method of transfer.

The program you really need to try is WinDV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    That doesn't change the fact that encoding crummy noisy ugly VHS to crummy noisy ugly lossy DV is a bad idea. The O.P. should be cautioned.

But I agree. If he likes garbage, let him have it.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote