VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having a problem with artifacts being introduced. When I try to antialias the video, the colors or image is getting a TON of artifacts or splotches on them. I have tried multiple setting adjustments for santiag and the only way I could reduce it or not get it was changing the strv and strh to 0 which makes using it pointless. If I left strh=1 and made strv=0, it still happens but was less visible.

What is the cause of the artifacts and is there anything I can do about it? I do not see any mask to adjust in Santiag.

Here is an example image. I have zoomed it in for easier visuals. Its very easy to see in the neck and ear area around the center of the image.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/126435

I am currently using it like this for the example above.

santiag(strh=1, strv=1, nsize=5, nns=4, scaler_post="LanczosResize")
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 24th Dec 2018 at 03:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have just tried every single version of Santiag from v1.0 up to v1.6 and they all do the same thing I am referring to above. I am beginning to wonder if its another plugin that it relies on that's causing this to happen. Perhaps one of them is buggy or needs a different version?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make yourself an edge mask to protect areas that aren't edges.

Code:
    Overlay(last, Santiag(), mask=mt_edge().Blur(1.0).Blur(1.0).Blur(1.0))
    Or try another antialiaser.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used xaa with santiag mimic preset, then set mask from 0 to 1 which is process edges only, and it worked wonders. For whatever reason, when santiag processes entire image, it makes all those artifacts and halos, but edges only mask worked.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is mt_edge mask any better than the TEMmod mask that xaa uses? I'm asking because xaa allows me to set it for mt_edge and I would prefer it if it is better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm not familiar with TEMmod. Which is better probably depends on how you use them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try this:
    main=last
    main
    NNEDI3(field=-2)
    Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd())
    filtered=last
    main
    mt_edge().mt_expand
    mymask=last
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote