VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to use a DMR-ES15 PAL (Australia and NZ I think) model for TBC pass-through but can't figure out how to configure it. I can't see TBC mentioned in the manual or any of the menus that I have seen.
    I've tried using composite inputs AV3 and AV4 and composite output but don't see a change to the image regardless of any settings.
    (I haven't tried AV1 and AV2 yet as I need to get a scart adapter first)

The only settings I can find for the image are by selecting from the remote button and then the subsequent menus-

(1)
    display -> Picture -> AV-in NR -> On
    (note under display, 'picture' is the only option, other options (Disc, play, sound) are greyed out)
    (note under Picture the only option is 'AV-in NR', there is no TBC option)

(2)
    functions -> to others -> Setup -> Picture -> Comb filter -> on

NB under
    functions -> to others -> Setup -> Connection, I have the TV set to 4:3, progressive off, and tv system to pal

Even the 'AV-in NR' and 'Comb filter' options don't seem to do anything visible.

Any ideas of anything to try?

Is there any easy way to know whether TBC is operating?
    (other than looking for wobbly vertical things in the image)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Synchronization functions are always active in this model; there is no "TBC" switch. I would advise turning off noise reduction (NR) as it is too heavy-handed. I would also advise keeping the ES15 out of the chain until you have a tape that plays badly without it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Synchronization functions are always active in this model; there is no "TBC" switch. I would advise turning off noise reduction (NR) as it is too heavy-handed. I would also advise keeping the ES15 out of the chain until you have a tape that plays badly without it.
    ^ This is exactly it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your answers. I was beginning to doubt the unit I bought was a suitable model.

Up until today I have been looking at the effect of the ES15 via the TV, and I could not see any change.

Today I got my Diamond VC500 capture device, and looking on the PC screen, I can easily see why a TBC is recommended!

Vertical lines wobble without it, and with it they are straight.

I still can't see the effect of the 'AV-in NR' but will leave it off anyway and do that all in the PC.

What is recommended to do with the 'Comb filter' option? is this a purely digital process? is it better done on the PC also?
    (NB input to the ES15 is composite from a VCR)
    Last edited by spotty; 25th Dec 2018 at 07:30.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I got one of these. My VCR also have TBC. Adding this device to the chain, does it even improve the quality of the output. I mean this is not a full TBC right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is no general rule, it's tape related.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I recommend you should test both with and without your VCR's own line TBC enabled. And yes, depends on tapes (actually tape/VCR combination) and their condition as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ScarAce1989 View Post
    I got one of these. My VCR also have TBC. Adding this device to the chain, does it even improve the quality of the output. I mean this is not a full TBC right?
    Correct, its a DVD recorder, not a TBC. It has strong+crippled line TBC to correct image based visual timing errors, and non-TBC frame sync. Those distinctions matters.

The first line TBC in a chain win. So if VCR line TBC on, ES15 line TBC does nothing whatsoever.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There is no general rule, it's tape related.
    There's always a general rule. But what are you referring to here? The latest reply, or some reply from years past?

Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    I recommend you should test both with and without your VCR's own line TBC enabled. And yes, depends on tapes (actually tape/VCR combination) and their condition as well.
    ^ This.

The line TBC in the VCR is generally better, and the DVD recorder will add quality hits. Only use the ES15 when it helps, not as a general workflow addition. It's not a "TBC replacement" as some seem to think, not sure how/why/when that myth started.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It's not a "TBC replacement" as some seem to think, not sure how/why/when that myth started.
    However, ES15 in my practice corrects distortions, such as bending the top of the frame or the absence of color in the video (when there is color, but it is not in the frame). Based on this, I would like to know in what similar details the ES15 differs from the real TBC? Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Only use the ES15 when it helps, not as a general workflow addition.
    I know that this thread is old, but since it got bumped, I'd like to get my two cents in.

Despite owning a line TBC JVC deck, as well as a standalone frame TBC, I believe that the DVD recorder IS a general workflow addition when it comes to dealing with "quasi" formats, such as MESECAM and NTSC 4.43, the former being the primary one I deal with. The JVC manual explicitly states that the line TBC would not work with those formats, even though the indicator lights up.

This might be the only exception where a suggested Panny DVD recorder should be used as a general workflow, the lesser of two evils so to speak. If I were to choose between having no line TBC at all and having something that sorta kinda substitutes it, I'd go with the latter. One strong advantage that the PAL ES10/15 models have is that they output a PAL signal, which can be read by most capture cards, as well as a frame TBC.

For normal PAL and NTSC tapes, just use the builtin line TBC in your VCR.
    Quote Quote