VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to use a DMR-ES15 PAL (Australia and NZ I think) model for TBC pass-through but can't figure out how to configure it. I can't see TBC mentioned in the manual or any of the menus that I have seen.
    I've tried using composite inputs AV3 and AV4 and composite output but don't see a change to the image regardless of any settings.
    (I haven't tried AV1 and AV2 yet as I need to get a scart adapter first)

The only settings I can find for the image are by selecting from the remote button and then the subsequent menus-

(1)
    display -> Picture -> AV-in NR -> On
    (note under display, 'picture' is the only option, other options (Disc, play, sound) are greyed out)
    (note under Picture the only option is 'AV-in NR', there is no TBC option)

(2)
    functions -> to others -> Setup -> Picture -> Comb filter -> on

NB under
    functions -> to others -> Setup -> Connection, I have the TV set to 4:3, progressive off, and tv system to pal

Even the 'AV-in NR' and 'Comb filter' options don't seem to do anything visible.

Any ideas of anything to try?

Is there any easy way to know whether TBC is operating?
    (other than looking for wobbly vertical things in the image)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Synchronization functions are always active in this model; there is no "TBC" switch. I would advise turning off noise reduction (NR) as it is too heavy-handed. I would also advise keeping the ES15 out of the chain until you have a tape that plays badly without it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Synchronization functions are always active in this model; there is no "TBC" switch. I would advise turning off noise reduction (NR) as it is too heavy-handed. I would also advise keeping the ES15 out of the chain until you have a tape that plays badly without it.
    ^ This is exactly it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your answers. I was beginning to doubt the unit I bought was a suitable model.

Up until today I have been looking at the effect of the ES15 via the TV, and I could not see any change.

Today I got my Diamond VC500 capture device, and looking on the PC screen, I can easily see why a TBC is recommended!

Vertical lines wobble without it, and with it they are straight.

I still can't see the effect of the 'AV-in NR' but will leave it off anyway and do that all in the PC.

What is recommended to do with the 'Comb filter' option? is this a purely digital process? is it better done on the PC also?
    (NB input to the ES15 is composite from a VCR)
    Last edited by spotty; 25th Dec 2018 at 06:30.
    Quote Quote