VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a new X92 Media Player which supports the X264 & X265 format but any 6 Channel output now doesn't pass ad Dolby Digital 5.1 or higher thru Optical. Its basically just a small linux box using kodi to play MKV media files etc.

My JVC RX-7042S supports up to 7 Channel (130 Watts) but since trying audio on the new X265 format, even though it reports as 5.1 I can only fudge it manually to Dolby Pro Logic II. Any AC3 encoded Digital 5.1/DTS files on RAW/Direct all play full 5.1 and also DTS for the older X264 format.

Is my AV Receiver too old to know the difference between the newer AAC formats ?? I feel like some of the features of X265 are being lost now even though its much better compression etc.

Anyone experienced similar problems on ther AV Receivers ??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does this player has IEC Passthrough Audio support?
    Does your X92 has support for Bitstream or PCM?

Cheap media players are just that, cheap.
    Have a look at this post:
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

I have an 2013 Onkyo HT-S5600, it can handle all this files just fine, just to let you know that you don't need to buy the last year HT to handle this files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi amaipaipai The X92 does support passthru and can be set within kodi. I tried setting individual x265 files but sound stops if I select it but works on pro logic II. It was over $100 and has up to 8 channel support over kodi is pretty popular too. Maybe I set something wrong. The OS can be set in audio to any output and I chose 7.0 channels.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/X92-2-3-16GB-Android-7-1-Smart-TV-BOX-4K-Octa-Core-Media-Pl...edirect=mobile
    Quote Quote  
  4. That link explain that not every kodi feature works right with this media players and they give a list of ones that does. Maybe you could ask for support there since they developed kodi.
    Last thing you could try is to test it over a friend with a more recent HT and see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Might have to. I'm running 16.5 and tested just about all sound settings but no 6 channel. What settings did you select in your version of kodi ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i looked through the jvc manual for your receiver and it doesn't claim to support any form of aac audio.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Posty View Post
    Might have to. I'm running 16.5 and tested just about all sound settings but no 6 channel. What settings did you select in your version of kodi ??
    I don't use kodi.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thats what I was thinking. I only saw AC3 MPEG support. Does your Onkyo say it supports AAC ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like everything but
    www.cnet.com/products/jvc-rx-7042s-av-receiver-7-1-channel/

Its pretty old
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Posty View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. I only saw AC3 MPEG support. Does your Onkyo say it supports AAC ?
    Yes it does!
    Our digital TV system (ISDB) uses multichannel AAC format.
    Quote Quote  
  11. AAC require licensee to pay for decoding... I can imagine that JVC simply stripped AAC from supported codec list (AAC is not widely used even if it is superior to any other lossy Dolby/DTS codec). Side to this seem your receiver has no HDMI input - this may explain why JVC decided to not support AAC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well said, multichannel AAC also only works over HDMI with my Onkyo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI is much newer technology
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Posty View Post
    HDMI is much newer technology
    Way older than "Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS NEO:6, DTS Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1"
    And IMHO above formats are more uncommon than AAC yet they are supported by JVC... strange.
    I can tell only one thing - AAC was nicely supported by Yamaha in 2006 (RX-2600) - JVC suxx, next time buy Yamaha
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK I got it working, with some help from a previous Whirlpool posting, there is only one combination in Kodi that will pass the 6 channel to the receiver as a AC3 5.1signal.
    The following must be entered exactly in the Kodi Settings for Audio:

Number of Channels to 2.0
    Output Configuration to Optimized
    Enable Passthru to On
    AC3 Capable Receiver to On
    -Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding to On

DTS Capable Receiver to On
    KODI should then detect and transcode AAC audio to AC3

Tested and works, I don't have a Receiver capable of accepting Dolby Enhanced so I just left that option as off and it converts to PCM Dolby Prologic II fine on my Receiver.

Somebody else may benefit from these settings for MKV files in 10bit with 6 Channel Audio on an older Receiver like me.
    Quote Quote