VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 720p video files that I would like to put onto a flash drive and play while we are away from home. The majority of the file types are MP4, MKV, or avi.

A lot of the places that we travel to do have TV sets with HDMI inputs. However, some of the places do not have any internet service whatsoever. So that rules out certain products, such as the Amazon Fire lineup of devices.

So my idea is to purchase a digital media player which can support a USB drive. Seems easy enough.

However..... here is the kicker.

The digital media player devices that I have found so far -- such as the "Micca Mplay" -- have their own IR remote control devices. If possible, I would prefer to avoid using an IR remote control.

If possible, I would prefer to find a digital media player which is capable of connecting to a bluetooth remote control. My preferred controller is the
    "Rii i8+ Bluetooth Mini Wireless Bluetooth Backlight Touchpad Keyboard with Mouse for PC/Mac/Android, White (RTi8BT-2)"

Does anyone know of any digital media players which are capable of connecting to bluetooth controllers? My budget for this is probably about $100.

Thanks!

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe... If the media player can use a keyboard, it might work with a bluetooth USB adapter.
    Apparently a WD Live player can use a BT KB and a BT USB adapter, so others may also.

Note: I have not tried this myself.

Some BT adapters from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bluetooth+dongle
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can get an identical 2.4Ghz RF keyboard that uses it own receiver that will likely work on the Micca Speck and well as most other devices. No driver install required, the receiver does all the work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many of the "Android TV boxes" for sale at Amazon, Walmart.com, and other websites include Bluetooth and a similar keyboard+touchpad to the Rii i8. You can install the official version of Kodi on them yourself and use them for playing media files from USB drives instead of streaming video from free services like Youtube.

Note that the apps for Android TV like those for Netflix, Hulu, and other paid services typically won't work on most of these boxes because they don't meet the DRM requirements. The Xaomi Mi Box S and NVIDIA ShieldTV are the only real Android TV boxes I have seen so far, meaning they are are approved for most of the popular paid services. Since you are not interested in streaming, that shouldn't be much of a factor for you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Dec 2018 at 22:40.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'd just get either a cheap Android or Surface tablet, or else a Chromebook. Should be able to get one for about $100.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reread the OP's post and realized they haven't bought a media player yet. In that case I second the vote for an Android Box, but I still vote for a RF keyboard. I have a couple and they just work, on everything, Android Box, WDTV, Smart HDTV, tablets, etc. No need to install any drivers or wait for a connection, everything's done by the receiver.
    Last edited by lingyi; 15th Dec 2018 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I'd just get either a cheap Android or Surface tablet, or else a Chromebook. Should be able to get one for about $100.
    I have a cheap older Chromebook and it's media playing capabilities are poor. It can't play .iso or mpeg, and there isn't any really good media player. There is a version of VLC for it, but it's nothing like the other ports. It's possible to install Kodi to extend the media playing capabilities, but at that point you're better off getting a 2 in 1/transformer Android tablet.
    Last edited by lingyi; 15th Dec 2018 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote