VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After updating to 1809, Windows 10 x64 is no longer showing me information on length, frame width, frame height, or subtitle tracks in Details view.

How do I get that back? I thought it might have been added by installing MKVtoolnix but reinstalling it didn't fix it. I reinstalled PotPlayer and the additional codecs, still none of that info shown.

Any idea how to make it display that info again? How do I make it display that info for MP4? It's always been there for MKV, after installing... something. I've no idea what makes it show that. The Subtitle and Subtitles options have never shown anything for any type of video file, only Subtitle Tracks.

Would be nice if there was a registry patch or something that does nothing but make Windows show such info in Explorer's Details view for ALL videos.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try updating your graphics card driver ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a trend aloof that they want to move us to online, but they don't want to be too obvious. Less and less will be available to the average user as time goes by.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I may be missing you what the OP is looking for, but I use Q-Dir and Potplayer as my default, and when I right click for properties its shows all the info except subtitles.

I'm assuming I have the latest Win 10 updates because my PC restarted overnight.

Edit: Just checked and latest update is 1803, installed yesterday. Will check again after the next update.

Also, can't you use the MediaInfo extension. Ir does take a couple of extra clicks so maybe that's not optimal.
    Last edited by lingyi; 13th Dec 2018 at 22:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I updated to 1809 yesterday, videos are still showing the normal properties for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you try updating your graphics card driver ??
    A video card driver has nothing to do with Windows showing the properties of video files in the details view of Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I may be missing you what the OP is looking for, but I use Q-Dir and Potplayer as my default, and when I right click for properties its shows all the info except subtitles.

I'm assuming I have the latest Win 10 updates because my PC restarted overnight.

Edit: Just checked and latest update is 1803, installed yesterday. Will check again after the next update.

Also, can't you use the MediaInfo extension. Ir does take a couple of extra clicks so maybe that's not optimal.
    A version of Media Info is installed with (IIRC) MKVtoolnix. I want to be able to see the frame dimensions and whether or not videos have subtitles and what type of subtitles, without having to right click every one individually.

I rebooted and it's showing frame dimensions for MP4 now, but not subtitle tracks. Length time also came back but no other data is displayed for MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh...didn't even realize you could have those columns in Explorer. Maybe you have to let Explorer rebuild its cache if there is one. That's a lot of data to generate on the fly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the details page click View,look for SORT BY down the the bottom it will say choose columns select the details you want shown.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Oh...didn't even realize you could have those columns in Explorer. Maybe you have to let Explorer rebuild its cache if there is one. That's a lot of data to generate on the fly.
    Go to Details view then on the right side header right click to get a list of common columns. Click More to get... more. Programs can add more options under More.

I want to find out why the 1809 update broke that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the info. I actually checked it out before my post and knew how to add columns. Just didn't know that those particular ones were options. I really suspect there has to be a cache to populate those columns. Even Explorer is just reading the metadata or tags, it still has to check for any changes to the file or additions to the folder. When I added first added one of the columns, don't remember which one, the updating icon (the circular arrow) showed up, so I assume some checking was going on the in background.

When I open my external drives, which are in four drive external cases. it takes several minutes for them to open, because Windows is indexing them and updating the cache somewhere. If it didn't, Explorer wouldn't be able to tell which files have been added, deleted or changed. My guess is the functions of some columns are turned off or disabled to improve Explorer response time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the Subtitle Tracks one is added by something else, but I don't know what. Not sure if Frame Width and Frame Height are part of the default set with Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got this figured out. The 1809 update causes damage to some of the stuff the K-Lite Codec Pack installs. Downloaded the latest version from www.codecguide.com and the details info is back.

But it still doesn't show subtitle info for MP4 so I just joined their forum to ask why not.
    Quote Quote