VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I am a complete newbie here; I tried to search for a post that would help but there's just so many conversations I can't seem to find what would help. If there's a thread that answers my question, please point me to it!

First let me say that when I use the VCR to play the VHS when connected to a television, the video runs fine. But when I try to capture it digitally using the honestech VHS to DVD 3.0., the image colors are way off, somewhat black and white with bands of random colors (I've attached a sample screenshot). I've tried on multiple computers, I even tried two different USB readers, as I had bought two. Always the same result.

I tried switching to VLC, and I can't even get the video to show there--though I do hear the sound as it is converting. That is probably an entirely different question. But if I could get either of these methods to work, I would be happy!

Is there some setting I need to change in honestech to get the colors right? Is there a way to make it work in VLC? Do I need to give up and buy a different software?

Thank you!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	example.png
Views:	2941
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	47474  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a bit outside of my area, but since no one else has responded yet, I will take a guess.....

Your problem *might* be related to your VHS tape having copy protection on it.

Do a search on this website for the term "macrovision"

Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable than myself about VCR matters can chime in here.

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use VLC for capturing, use VirtualDub.
    But Honestech is also a lousy card, just a rebadge of the EZcap/EZcrap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the replies! I don't think it's a Macrovision, as it's a family video, but I will look into it.

I wondered if Honestech was just a bad device; I'll look through the forums to see what people say are better options.

I downloaded VirtualDub--now the image is completely messed up (just squiggly lines all over), but from the research I've seen, I should be able to change a lot of settings, so I'll play around with that and see if I can get it fixed.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try iuvcr and Amarectv, much simpler to set up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. None of the replies above really seems to fit the symptoms. While your gadget may not be the ultimate capture device, I doubt that, if properly configured, it would do this poorly.

I did a quick Google search (you should do this too) and then also downloaded the manual for the "VHS to DVD 9 Deluxe" version. You didn't say what version you have, but it sounds like you got it recently, so I downloaded the latest version.

Looking at the manual, there are most definitely some settings you might have screwed up. First, you should make sure that the Video Standards (in Properties --> Video Decoder tab) is set to NTSC_M. You sure don't want PAL: you are located in the USA and therefore I assume the tapes are North American VHS. You also don't want NTSC_J (Japan NTSC standard), if they have it.

In the "Video Settings" option, you want to make sure the Cable Connection matches the cables you are using for the capture. If you are using a yellow RCA cable for video, this is composite video and the setting should indicate that. If instead you are using an S-video cable (round, with a bunch of pins inside), then you need to select that. The difference between these two types of transfer is that the color is handled via a separate wire with S-video.

If I were a betting man, I'd place some money on a bet that says this is your problem.

Finally, the manual suggests that you can have "pink or green" video if your USB port isn't fast enough. This isn't exactly the problem you showed in the image, but it does have to do with color. So, even though the product is supposed to work with the older USB 2.0 standard, you might want to see if your computer has a USB 3.0 port and use that. Or, if you are already using USB 3.0, try a USB 2.0 port. That probably won't change anything, but if all else fails, try it.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 18th Dec 2018 at 16:34. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    While your gadget may not be the ultimate capture device, I doubt that, if properly configured, it would do this poorly.
    The Honestech is crap, John, even when set up correctly. Period.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello idriana,

Did you find out a solution for your problem?

I'am using honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 and I have the same color issue.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hugo Rufino View Post
    Hello idriana,
    Did you find out a solution for your problem?
    I'am using honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 and I have the same color issue.
    Thank you.
    Did you not read all the answer posts where Honestech was confirmed to be a crap card?
    That's the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i know i'm a bit late but for anyone who may come here in the future
    i had the same problem with honestech software and there are a series of things that you should do to solve it
    1. make sure that the video type is matched to your tape. by default it's on NTSC. you can change it by clicking on options
    2. change quality to best in options
    3. go to video device settings and then control. now a series of sliders are shown on the screen and as you can see HUE is set to 0 by default and in order to get colored video you should crank it all the way up.
    4. if you still have problems like color noise or noise in general or maybe frames jumping it's all due to your VCR tracking. most newer players have tracking adjust buttons on their remotes but if there is no button to adjust it, open up your device and while it's working adjust those two flathead screws that are pulling the tape out (they're on either side of the video head) until you get a clear picture. just be careful not to electrocute yourself. you can find videos showing how to do this in detail on youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No, you should never crank up the colors all the way up, that's absurd. The problem shown in the original post that dates back to 2018 can never be fixed by cranking up chroma, Also it is not a VCR issue and never miss align a VCR blindly without finding out what exactly the problem is, even the OP stated clearly the tape plays fine when connected to a TV. The thread's problem has already been resolved anyway and that is a faulty/low quality capture device no need to wrong advice and guessing that could lead to damaging someone's equipment. If you are not sure about what you write. don't write it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dingidang View Post
    i had the same problem with honestech software
    That's because it's junkware.

2. change quality to best in options
    That does nothing here.

4. if you still have problems like color noise or noise in general or maybe frames jumping it's all due to your VCR tracking.
    Color? Never true. 0% of the time.
    Other noises? Maybe. Or maybe not.

open up your device and while it's working adjust those two flathead screws that are pulling the tape out (they're on either side of the video head) until you get a clear picture.
    That should rarely be done, and carries risks. For example, if you go to far, you feather (RUIN!) the tape, making that section never play properly ever again. Or whack that spinning video head, and it's dead. This should also never be done on your main deck, or a deck you're not afraid to ruin. I do this all the time, but I have the experience and skill to realign after purposely misaligning. Most people would approach this like monkeys with sticks (screwdrivers). And hamfisted people (too many in this world) would ruin both tape and deck, and somehow ever catch it on fire (because morons always find a way).

just be careful not to electrocute yourself.
    Of all the risks, that's really not one of them. You'd have to jam the screwdriver into the power board, and even then touch metal. More likely is ringing in the ears (POP!), fire, burning electronics smell in the room/house, etc.

you can find videos showing how to do this in detail on youtube.
    Don't do this. Too many random asshats make videos with horrid advice. Don't view random videos from Joe Bucktooth (or Kiddie McKid) that can't even set the VCR clock. Vet that the person actually knows his ass from his elbow in video, not just "telephone gaming" something he read/saw elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't think you VHS has a problem as you mentionned that played on VCR and displayed on your TV the video is OK. Did you try with another video tape (a movie, tv recording or else?)

As mentioned above, there could be a video standard issue. Are you sure your video tape is NTSC?
    On your capture device, you should be able to change the video standard. Try the 3 differents NTSC video modes proposed : NTSC_M , NTSC_M_J, NTSC_443 and see if it changes something. You can also try PAL_60 video standard.

If you are not sure with the video standard of your VHS try all the other video modes (PAL and SECAM) of your capture device.

Then if all of this doesn't work, this could be an issue with your device.

Honestech is a simple software, but the problem is that the video you record is in MPEG2. This means it is compressed and it would be better to capture with an uncompressed video codec or a lossless video codec (like HuffYUV or Lagarith). And the softwares to do so are Virtualdub or Amarec.. VLC could do that but it's complcated compare to the others mentionned. Lossles or uncompressed means the video file will be large, but it will be better for post processing.

Please let us know if your problem is fixed or if you found the solution.
    Last edited by Hunk91; 17th Sep 2022 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    No, you should never crank up the colors all the way up
    well as i said HUE is set to 0 in honestech software by default which is equal to black and white. i never mentioned saturation or chroma or... doing this solved my black and white issue. and for the color noise actually adjusting the tracking solved it. yes i had clear image on tv but not on my pc and this solved it. on the other hand there was this one tape which had color noise all over it and nothing solved it, i suspect something was wrong with the camera that was used for filming it.

and my dude lordsmurf chill. i was trying to help and shared what worked for me i know it's cheap and everything but currently this junkware is working and honestly it's more than enough for home videos. they never were filmed with high quality cameras to begin with. and yes you can electrocute yourself, we use 220v electricity here and when not properly grounded all that power goes through the device's cabinet and actually stings, not like 220v but still, it stings and hurts.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    well as i said HUE is set to 0 in honestech software by default which is equal to black and white. i never mentioned saturation or chroma or... doing this solved my black and white issue.
    No, Hue cannot solve the black and white issue, Chroma does which is never 0 as default, Hue at the other hand should always be 0 or center unless a very minor tweak is needed, if you crank it up you will get Hulk greenish picture or pinkish forgot which one is which, stop making up $hit.

and for the color noise actually adjusting the tracking solved it. yes i had clear image on tv but not on my pc and this solved it.
    Impossible, if the picture is bad from VCR due to tracking or mechanical problems to the point it looses color it should show on both the PC and TV, TV cannot fix severs tracking problems on its own, Stop doubling down on your BS.

and my dude lordsmurf chill. i was trying to help and shared what worked for me i know it's cheap and everything but currently this junkware is working and honestly it's more than enough for home videos.
    You're not helping, you are spreading misinformation that has no basis of reality. Also what's more than enough for you may not be good enough for someone else.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hell yall are too aggressive
    im not making $hit up in fact i know my $hit and thought someone could use my experience but it seems like yall are a bunch of selfish nerds who don't want to face reality
    do what you want i'm out
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Dingidang View Post
    well as i said HUE is set to 0 in honestech software by default which is equal to black and white.
    Unless there's something very strange about that software, and it's at odds with every other program in the world, you're describing saturation, not hue.
    Quote Quote