VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capture lossless other than the loss in the DAC.
    And what is the best free software that I could use? The seach engines all assume I want screen capture software. And there are only a few programs on here that aren't for DV cams.
    I am currently using an Osprey 260e but am can't get it to work at all. It shows up fine in Windows 10 but whenever I start any capture program it said device could not be started -1
    The search on this site does not seem to be working all that great for me.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mainly capture laserdiscs and recently bought an Osprey 827e pci/e card. It has analog and digital video and analog & digital audio inputs. There are not too many capture devices that cap analog video with digital audio simultaneously. It works great when capturing with VirtualDub. Then you can use AVISynth for either QTGMC or IVTC depending on your source footage. With VirtualDub you can cap Uncompressed or Lossless AVI.

The 260e isn't Win10 compatible, but I hear it has a pretty good 3D comb filter. I use Win 7/64.

When I want to cap from my MiniDV camera I use my NLE program (Vegas Pro 16). I haven't tried to see if VirtualDub will recognize my camera.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The capture quality difference between the best capture devices (hundreds of US$) vs. decent capture devices (US$35) is negligible. What you use upstream is much more important.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The capture quality difference between the best capture devices (hundreds of US$) vs. decent capture devices (US$35) is negligible.
    With caveats.

For example:
    - Easycap/EZcap = crap, don't buy thoese!
    - Blackmagic and Magewell have issues iwith SD, especially VHS

Don't give the false impression that any capture cards work, which isn't accurate. Just that $$$$ and $$ cards can be the same end quality, with heavy emphasis on better VCRs, s-video cables, TBC, and potentially other devices (proc amp, detailer, audio mixer, etc).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Don't give the false impression that any capture cards work
    I didn't say that. I said "decent capture devices". Decent devices start around US$35. That doesn't mean every $35 device is decent. There are very few decent ones below that price.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Dec 2018 at 23:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. To clarify - what you mean by MUSE ? This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sub-Nyquist_sampling_encoding ?

IMHO for such rare, uncommon, ubiquitous formats perhaps some Digital Acquisition board will be best - perhaps something like https://www.redpitaya.com/Catalog/p20/stemlab-125-14-starter-kit?cat=c101 14 bit ADC, 125Ms/s (bandwidth over 50MHz) , support range from DC to over 1GHz, FPGA on board so demodulation can be performed by board. I think that this price will be hard to beat by anything less RF oriented. This board is capable to acquire (sample) any signal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You are asking how to capture different formats in one question, The answer will be different for each format:

- For miniDV, HDV, DVCAM, Digital8, D-VHS there is no capturing needed, It is just a 1:1 transfer to computer via firewire or USB
    - For Muse and W-VHS it depends what connections your deck has, usually component (Red/Green/Blue) therefore for best results a capture card with component input is recommended.
    - For VHS, S-VHS, Video8, Hi8, Betamax and Super Beta an analog capture card with S-Video/Composite is what you need, There are tons of threads about this type of capture whether you want lossless, MPEG-2 or DV(AVI) it's up to you.
    Quote Quote