VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. So I got this 30" Samsung Syncmaster 305T Monitor that supports 2560x1400 resolution, which i need to use in my office since i work with CAD Drawings. Since this monitor only supports dvi input, i thought i would need some type of adapter head to use with my laptop (I used to operate this from my desktop). So i got one laying around which is DVI-D by the way, and to my surprise when i used it and connected to the monitor all i could get was 1200x800! Thought the adapter was old, or busted or dysfuncional, so i ordered a new one from here which is clearly dvid as you can see.

Result was the same as all i could get was still 1200x800. Thought there must be some kind of driver issue, so i tried an update to latest graphic drivers, restarted the system, and same old same old

I then googled around and saw that adapters for some reason dont support higher resolution due to scalers not included or something? Cant quite understand

https://superuser.com/questions/646188/connecting-and-apple-cinema-monitor-to-a-laptop...-hdmi-possible

Dont mind the tile of the post about the apple monitor. They key answer that drew my attention

You're out of luck. The monitor's connector is a Dual-link DVI connector, and HDMI (as provided by an adapter)/VGA only carries enough bandwidth for a Single-link DVI connector. Because of this, the total output resolution is limited to 1280x800. Source

(I've actually tried running 2560x1440 over an HDMI connector, and the results are very bad. Flickering horizontal lines and the monitor would lose the connection entirely if I put too many white pixels on the screen (i.e., by dragging a window onto it))

Some of the newer HDMI versions support increased bandwidth (1.3, 1.4, 2.0), but this is unavailable when using a converter to DVI.
    Not sure if this is accurate but basically the guy is saying you cannot get modern resolution via adapter but you need a sole cable with each end hdmi to one and dvi to the other to achieve this?

Is this for real? Cause i was planning to buy a more expensive adapter this time. One from startech that goes for 14 euros

https://t-support.gr/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1160103
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDMI is backward compatible with DVI (as such HDMI to DVI is simple piece of cable without any fancy electronic and simple few $ worth changer plug is OK) and if display firmware support and at the same time graphic card can provide then you should be able after reducing refresh rate (like 24 Hz) to display resolutions above those defined by standard (DVI is limited by allowed pixel clock).

IMHO better option is to use dual link (HDMI and for example DVI or Display Port at your graphic board) and with help of HDMI (or Dipslay Port) converter to DVI connecting this display to computer (you may wish to use graphic board capable to do something like Eyefinity).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Both adapters used are dual link. I have also attached an image that confirms this
    Quote Quote  
  4. No HDMI->DL-DVI adapter exists to my knowledge. Displayport to DL-DVI adapters used to exist. I think they are no longer made, but you might find a used one.
    Last edited by Luke M; 10th Dec 2018 at 13:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Both adapters used are dual link. I have also attached an image that confirms this
    Nope, HDMI is always single link - you need two HDMI outputs, two adapters, two cables and two DVI inputs on monitor or some tricky 2x HDMI to single Dual Link DVI (never saw such thing) - converters from Display port to Dual DVI Link exist but they are expensive... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABJY8EK4136&Description=displaypor...0033-_-Product .

Once again - try to reduce refresh rate to match single DVI link limitations - this should work - if display support refresh rate like 24Hz then this is cheapest possible solution.

More detailed answer https://superuser.com/questions/332099/does-a-hdmi-to-dvi-dual-link-adapter-exist-i-do...e-price#997302

So around 100 Euro for Display Port to Dual Link DVI or sell display and buy another one (with Display Port for example).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    So I got this 30" Samsung Syncmaster 305T Monitor that supports 2560x1400 resolution, which i need to use in my office since i work with CAD Drawings. Since this monitor only supports dvi input, i thought i would need some type of adapter head to use with my laptop (I used to operate this from my desktop). So i got one laying around which is DVI-D by the way, and to my surprise when i used it and connected to the monitor all i could get was 1200x800! Thought the adapter was old, or busted or dysfuncional, so i ordered a new one from here which is clearly dvid as you can see.

Result was the same as all i could get was still 1200x800. Thought there must be some kind of driver issue, so i tried an update to latest graphic drivers, restarted the system, and same old same old

I then googled around and saw that adapters for some reason dont support higher resolution due to scalers not included or something? Cant quite understand

https://superuser.com/questions/646188/connecting-and-apple-cinema-monitor-to-a-laptop...-hdmi-possible

Dont mind the tile of the post about the apple monitor. They key answer that drew my attention

You're out of luck. The monitor's connector is a Dual-link DVI connector, and HDMI (as provided by an adapter)/VGA only carries enough bandwidth for a Single-link DVI connector. Because of this, the total output resolution is limited to 1280x800. Source

(I've actually tried running 2560x1440 over an HDMI connector, and the results are very bad. Flickering horizontal lines and the monitor would lose the connection entirely if I put too many white pixels on the screen (i.e., by dragging a window onto it))

Some of the newer HDMI versions support increased bandwidth (1.3, 1.4, 2.0), but this is unavailable when using a converter to DVI.
    Not sure if this is accurate but basically the guy is saying you cannot get modern resolution via adapter but you need a sole cable with each end hdmi to one and dvi to the other to achieve this?

Is this for real? Cause i was planning to buy a more expensive adapter this time. One from startech that goes for 14 euros

https://t-support.gr/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1160103
    I don't think a different adapter will help.

According to the spec sheet that I found at Samsung's website, your monitor's preferred resolution is 2560 x 1600 at 60Hz. I couldn't find any documentation from Samsung listing other supported resolutions. Dual-link DVI supports 2560 x 1600 at 60Hz but HDMI 1.4 doesn't seem to. The closest resolution I found for HDMI 1.4 is 2560 × 1440 at 60 Hz. At any rate, using settings other than the monitor's recommended resolution and refresh rate wouldn't be ideal for working with CAD drawings.

Also, are you attempting to use both the laptop screen and the monitor at the same time? Windows supports using monitors of different resolutions on an extended desktop, but not a cloned desktop. For a cloned desktop, the output for both screens will be limited to one that the lowest resolution screen accepts.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. No im only trying to output to the monitor. Laptop screen is switched off. For what i understand i bought the screen for more than 1000 euro (a decade ago) and it is now useless if its not connected to desktop PC. Why buy a 100+ displayport adapter when now with 200 and little extra you get a 2k screen.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No im only trying to output to the monitor. Laptop screen is switched off. For what i understand i bought the screen for more than 1000 euro (a decade ago) and it is now useless if its not connected to desktop PC. Why buy a 100+ displayport adapter when now with 200 and little extra you get a 2k screen.
    I agree that since the monitor doesn't work properly with your current setup, the choice comes down to either replacing the laptop or replacing the monitor. A DisplayPort to dual-link DVI active adapter may not help either. Does the laptop even have a DisplayPort connection?

Assuming that the laptop has HDMI 1.4 and is able to output 2560 × 1440 at 60 Hz, you could certainly replace the monitor you have with a 2K/WQHD monitor that accepts HDMI input.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Why buy a 100+ displayport adapter when now with 200 and little extra you get a 2k screen.
    Well, this is very good question and that's why i suggested to sell display. Of course you can use display with 1/4 resolution i.e. 1280x800 or try to use 24Hz 2560x1600 video mode - if you are lucky then it should work OK - not for gaming but for quasi static CAD would be fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You mentioned the monitor model but you never mention the laptop model, and that's important. What ports does it have/is it capable of?

DP to dual link dvi still exist, and not that expensive - can get a Dell one for USD$20.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at some DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI-D Active Adapters. Not all support the native resolution needed for the Syncmaster 305T.

This one, which costs about $107 at a discount, supports up to WQXGA (2560 x 1600) @ 60 Hz: https://www.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/Active-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-DVI-Vi...erter~DP2DVID2 However, the VisionTek 900639 DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI-D Active Adapter, which costs around $30.00, only supports up to 2560 x 1440 resolution (WQHD) @ 60Hz.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Dec 2018 at 09:41. Reason: Typo - changed WQHD to WQXGA
    Quote Quote  
  12. I cannot find that adpapter locally, i live in Europe

This is not active i suppose

https://www.kotsovolos.gr/site/computing/peripherals/usb-hubs-and-cables/160747-starte...ctpage-nosto-2

How about getting a dvi-d to vga, Could this be supported? I dont care about the analog aspect as long as im getting the maximum 2560x1600

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    I cannot find that adpapter locally, i live in Europe

https://www.kotsovolos.gr/site/computing/peripherals/usb-hubs-and-cables/160747-starte...ctpage-nosto-2

How about getting a dvi-d to vga, Could this be supported? I dont care about the analog aspect as long as im getting the maximum 2560x1600

As you can see there is not much on startech products page:
    https://www.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/?filter_AVMAXRESOLUTION=2560+x+1600
    You are from Greece so search on Amazon then - latest EU law introduce possibility to order product from any EU country (seller can't refuse to sell you product).
    Technically VGA is capable to display ANY resolution and ANY framerate - you are limited only by acquisition part in display but such resolution in 60p will give almost 300MHz bandwidth.

btw
    Did you tried to reduce framerate to lower pixelclock and as such fit 2560x1600 within single DVI link capability (165MHz)?
    Quote Quote  
  14. HDMI is Even more so capable of carrying any res and framerate. The problem is that it cannot split to dual link and reach the monitor at the desired res and frame. So additionally i wonder whether vga is able to convert to that and get it to work

I tried setting 2560x1600 as custom res on the hdmi-dvi adapter but i could not get it working for lower frames. I think 39-40 fps gave image but was distored and flickring. 24-25-29-30 fps gave a black screen when force it via the graphics mode of intel
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    HDMI is Even more so capable of carrying any res and framerate. The problem is that it cannot split to dual link and reach the monitor at the desired res and frame. So additionally i wonder whether vga is able to convert to that and get it to work
    Nope - HDMI in DVI back compliant mode suffer from same limitations as HDMI and additionally HDMI mode is TV mode not PC mode oriented.

I tried setting 2560x1600 as custom res on the hdmi-dvi adapter but i could not get it working for lower frames. I think 39-40 fps gave image but was distored and flickring. 24-25-29-30 fps gave a black screen when force it via the graphics mode of intel
    Did you received any information from display like not supported video mode or unknown video format etc?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot find that adpapter locally, i live in Europe

That adapter only provides up to 1920x1200 or 1080p, so it won't work.

The adapter is really a DVI-I to VGA adapter and cannot work for your monitor. (DVI-I has the ability to provide a VGA signal on some of its pins. DVI-D dual link is strictly digital.) Your monitor has a DVI-D dual link connection and no VGA connection.

Cornucopia raised a valid point about the lack of information that you have provided about your laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A DisplayPort to DVI-D dual link active adapter will do you no good because your laptop has no DisplayPort connection. Your laptop only has HDMI and VGA for its video connections. The resolutions available via HDMI have already been covered. The VGA port is probably limited to a maximum of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, 24 bits per pixel.

You need to either replace the monitor or replace the laptop. Replacing the monitor makes more sense. If the monitor is about 10 years old and has been heavily used for work during that 10 years, it may be nearing the end of its life.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ok thought i coukd get an hdmk to displayport when i found the active displayport to dvid.

Anyway i got another laptop i could use that definitely has a displayport (dell 702x)

It has not be used much for these past 10 yeara and itd be a shame now that i found use for it to go to waste
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thought i coukd get an hdmk to displayport when i found the active displayport to dvid.
    That could never work to provide 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz from DisplayPort because HDMI 1.4 can't provide 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz.

Anyway i got another laptop i could use that definitely has a displayport (dell 702x)
    [Edit] I took a second look at the laptop Google found for me using "Dell 702x", and that laptop had a different model number. Google can't find a Dell with model number including "702x" and DisplayPort. I wonder if the model number that you provided is incomplete or a typographical error.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Dec 2018 at 23:07.
    Quote Quote  
  20. sorry forgot the "L", its L702X

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-17-L702X.50162.0.html

But theres no doubt about it

Connections
    2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Kensington Lock, 1 eSata, Audio Connections: 2 outputs, 1 input, Card Reader: SD,SDIO,SDHC,SDXC,MS,MS PRO,MSXC,MMC,XD, TV Card: DVB-T TV-Tuner, antenna
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Ok thought i coukd get an hdmk to displayport when i found the active displayport to dvid.
    That could never work to provide 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz from DisplayPort because HDMI 1.4 can't provide 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz.
    Actually it (1.4) can deliver 4096x2160@24Hz video (but also 1920x1080 @120Hz) - they increased clock to 300MHz.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Actually it (1.4) can deliver 4096x2160@24Hz video (but also 1920x1080 @120Hz) - they increased clock to 300MHz.
    I know that. I have used HDMI 1.4 at 2160p 30Hz. However, HDMI 1.4 could not deliver the required resolution (2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz) for the OP's monitor when he tried a passive adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry forgot the "L", its L702X

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-17-L702X.50162.0.html

But theres no doubt about it

Connections
    2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Kensington Lock, 1 eSata, Audio Connections: 2 outputs, 1 input, Card Reader: SD,SDIO,SDHC,SDXC,MS,MS PRO,MSXC,MMC,XD, TV Card: DVB-T TV-Tuner, antenna
    That laptop is rather old. I could not find out which DisplayPort version was used. If it has Displayport 1.1 instead of DisplayPort 1.2 it may not work properly with the adapters I have looked at.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I know that. I have used HDMI 1.4 at 2160p 30Hz. However, HDMI 1.4 could not deliver the required resolution (2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz) for the OP's monitor when he tried a passive adapter.
    I assume there are two main reasons, at first HDMI at source is not 1.4 compliant secondly even if HDMI source is capable to output UHD then anyway display is not capable to receive it (non HDMI 1.4 compliant) - they use DVI dual link ie two HDMI/DVI's (no worry - i know you know this).
    I would give up - sell display on ebay add few Euro and buy something i could use (conversion adapter even cheap 30 Euro may this even more attractive).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Id hate to do that. Worst case scenario i woukd keep it for a desktop if i cant find a 30 dollar adapter to connect it at least with my dell laptop
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I assume there are two main reasons, at first HDMI at source is not 1.4 compliant secondly even if HDMI source is capable to output UHD then anyway display is not capable to receive it (non HDMI 1.4 compliant) - they use DVI dual link ie two HDMI/DVI's (no worry - i know you know this).
    The OP's HP430G3 laptop has Intel HD graphics 520 and definitely has an HDMI 1.4 port available, so its HDMI connection should be HDMI 1.4 compliant. Dual-link is a problem but probably not the only one.

I tried a little experiment to see if 2560 x 1600 at any refresh rate is available on my Haswell i5 desktop system via HDMI 1.4. TLDR summary: 2560 x 1600 was not available with my motherboard's HDMI 1.4 connected to my Dell S2718HN monitor's HDMI 2.0 port. However, 2560 x 1600 was available using my motherboard's DisplayPort 1.2 port with a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a adapter connected to my monitor and the monitor was able to display the input. Both HDMI 1.4 and the DisplayPort adapter are definitely able to provide 3840 x 2160p @ 30Hz to that same monitor using its HDMI 2.0 connection.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Dec 2018 at 13:04. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, it's not just about fitting within the bandwidth. It is also about finding the common denominator of mutually approved resolution options, which are finite, based on the standards of each device, at time of manufacture of that/those model family(ies).
    The resolution in question is somewhat uncommon even in PC workstation circles, but is virtually unheard of in CE (consumer electronics) circles. DP & DVI are pc-focused, HDMI is CE-focused.
    No surprise that DP to Duallink DVI makes the most sense as a working pathway.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. This mostly related to poor software embedded in sources and displays, even if HW is fully capable to do particular things frequently those things are not present due software limitations and as usually specifications are unavailable then you end with product that support most popular functionality (this reduce also development cost, less testing as testing is very costly).
    Quote Quote