VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I was wondering if we need a powerful GPU, to use the video processing options in Potplayer.
    I use the blur effects to improve some low quality 480p videos.
    I’m building home theater PC, with an Intel i7 7700, and I don’t know I if need a graphics card.

On my Desktop, with an Nvidia GTX 1070, works perfectly.
    But with an old laptop, with an Nvidia GT 330M, it does not work at all. It doesn’t crash. I just doesn’t do anything, when apply the filters.
    The laptop also has an i7 (4 cores, 8 threads) but enabling multicore multi-core video processing, does not do anything.

Does anyone used the blur filter, with integrated graphics?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a general rule, video editing can be far more demanding on your PC/laptop than a lot of other types of activities.

The video cards which are built into laptops can sometimes be low end and cheap. A lot of them are meant to cover basic functions, such as emails, word processing, youtube, etc.

A couple of things......

Does your old laptop work well with Polpot to play videos, without using the blur feature?

Also....... one possible solution for you...... have you updated the driver on your laptop GT 330M? And your other drivers as well?(BIOS, chipset, etc,) This might help.

***** important - sometimes the same model number of graphics card can vary from one laptop to another. For example, the GT 330M that goes into a Dell laptop might be different from the GT330M which you might purchase off the shelf at a store. Over the years, most of my laptops have been mostly Dell products. So to update my drivers, I go to dell.com -- i do NOT go to nvidia.com in these particular cases.

If you update all of your drivers and you still cannot successfully use blur, then you can consider buying a new graphics card, OR, just purchasing a different laptop/PC altogether to run your home theater.

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your answer.
    Yes, the drivers on my laptop GPU are probably outdated.
    But It works very well with Potplayer, except for the video processing options (including the blur filter). Also, with a 15 inch screen the blur feature is not really necessary.
    I only used the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M as an example of a low end card, in which the blur filter does not work.

What I need to know is that if the integrated graphics on an Intel i7 7700 (desktop model), would work with the blur filter.
    I guess I could just build the PC without the dedicated graphics card first, and try it out...
    Quote Quote