VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    I've been fiddling with this for some time and haven't yet found a perfect solution. I wonder if someone can provide a recommendation.

    I'm trying to cut multiple sections out of a 4K video. (eg commercials out of a TV program or unwanted video out of a GoPro video)
    I don't need a full featured video editing program - just something that allows me to cut out multiple sections.

    Typically, I've used Video ReDo and the latest version will cut 4K H264 video but will not cut HEVC.
    I've also used Solveig Video splitter but it doesn't work on HEVC.

    I've used Handbrake to convert 4K HEVC to 4K H264 and then use Video Redo but the process is agonizingly slow.

    I can use Avidemux but it will only cut and save one section (i.e. it will not cut out multiple sections and save the rest)

    I've subsequently found Avidemux can select individual sections, click delete (on each) and then save the remainder. This "sort of" works but setting the A & B cut points is rather crude (unless I'm missing something)

    Does anyone have a recommendation for a program that will cut multiple sections out of a 4K HVEC video and save the rest (similar to Video Redo). I'd prefer a free or low cost program.
    Last edited by cottage; 7th Dec 2018 at 12:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. MKVToolNix ? Never tried it with “4K” video, but it should work. To split a video, go to the “Output” tab, in the “Split mode” field click on “Do not split” and select “By parts based on timestamps”, then hover over the “Parts” field to get detailed instructions ; it will output one file if “link files” is checked. You can use Avidemux to get the accurate timestamps. The conversion will be lossless but it will only cut at the nearest keyframe (usually keyframes are places at scene changes, but it may not always cut exactly where you want).

    EDIT : Just saw the added line about Avidemux and “rather crude” cut points – it's related to what I said above, if video is set to “copy”, it only allows cutting at keyframes. If you need a better accuracy, re-encoding is necessary. Some softwares have a feature named “smart rendering”, which only re-encodes around the cuts when they're made on frames which are not keyframes, but last time I checked Avidemux didn't have such a feature.
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 7th Dec 2018 at 14:13.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    MKVToolNix ? Never tried it with “4K” video, but it should work. To split a video, go to the “Output” tab, in the “Split mode” field click on “Do not split” and select “By parts based on timestamps”, then hover over the “Parts” field to get detailed instructions ; it will output one file if “link files” is checked. You can use Avidemux to get the accurate timestamps. The conversion will be lossless but it will only cut at the nearest keyframe (usually keyframes are places at scene changes, but it may not always cut exactly where you want).

    EDIT : Just saw the added line about Avidemux and “rather crude” cut points – it's related to what I said above, if video is set to “copy”, it only allows cutting at keyframes. If you need a better accuracy, re-encoding is necessary. Some softwares have a feature named “smart rendering”, which only re-encodes around the cuts when they're made on frames which are not keyframes, but last time I checked Avidemux didn't have such a feature.
    I have MKVToolNix and tried what you suggested. It worked but it is more complex and not as easy as Avidemux on it's own.

    Maybe I'm lazy but I'm looking to find something similar to Video Redo where it is a one step process and you can visually select the frames at each end of multiple cuts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    At present, there isn't a large assortment of reasonably priced editing software for 4K HEVC to choose from.

    It is a more powerful editor than you asked for but VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum is supposed to be able to edit 4K video and HEVC. I haven't tried it and don't know if it can smart render. According to the website, VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum is on sale from now until December 12 for $59.99 and has a free trial. (See https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/trial-versions/)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    At present, there isn't a large assortment of reasonably priced editing software for 4K HEVC to choose from.

    It is a more powerful editor than you asked for but VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum is supposed to be able to edit 4K video and HEVC. I haven't tried it and don't know if it can smart render. According to the website, VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum is on sale from now until December 12 for $59.99 and has a free trial. (See https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/trial-versions/)
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have an older version of Sony Vegas. I tried it some time ago for another project but found that it was much more powerful and more complicated than my needs. It is a full blown video production program. I'm only looking for a program that is a video splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The latest version of TMPGenc smart renderer will probably suit your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    The latest version of TMPGenc smart renderer will probably suit your needs.
    I looked at TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 before recommending VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum. The highest resolution mentioned in the specs is 1920x1080.

    TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 can work with UHD resolutions and HEVC, but has a more complex UI than TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 and higher price than the current sale price for VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum, plus it doesn't smart render.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    The latest version of TMPGenc smart renderer will probably suit your needs.
    I looked at TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 before recommending VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum. The highest resolution mentioned in the specs is 1920x1080.
    The reference to 1920x1080 resolution in the TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer specs is under the heading of BluRay. If I'm not mistaken, this is a limitation of BluRay - not necessarily the program. However, I don't see any other reference to a higher resolution so this leaves me wondering.

    I've contacted the Video ReDo sales people and they indicate that they are currently testing an upgrade to include HEVC. Since I'm familiar with and happy with the ReDo program, I think that I'll wait for their upgrade.

    However, thank-you to everyone who took the time and effort to make suggestions.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads