VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I got an old Intel S5520UR mainboard with two CPUs and 64GB RAM lying around here, I also put the whole thing into an old chieftech big tower and got the whole thing running.

Problem is the onboard graphic card sucks and seeing that the Intel page:
    https://ark.intel.com/products/36456/Intel-Server-Board-S5520UR
    lists:
    Expansion Options

Max # of PCI Express Lanes 36
    PCIe x8 Gen 2.x 3
    PCIe x16 Gen 2.x 1
    Connector for Intel® I/O Expansion Module x4 Gen 1 1
    I was wondering how I could extend this board to add a normal graphic card.

I googled a bit, but it seems like I lack the right words for the search.

-> Does anyone know what extension card/adapter is needed to add a normal graphic card to this machine?
    (onboard graphic doesn't support full hd which I would like to archive; don't aim for gaming so no high end graphic is needed)

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the manual that lists the replacement and optional parts for your board: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520ur/...ide_rev_32.pdf. You need a riser card listed on pages 24-25. Someone else will have to recommend the best one for your needs.

The bigger problem is that the board is meant for use in 1U chassis and the riser card will place your video (or any other card) sideways, and wont match the slots a standard consumer case. So you would have to either modify your case or switch back to a server chassis that has the proper slot arrangement in the back.

BTW, I got the link by searching "S5520UR add graphics card". Sometimes simplest is best! Most common denominator!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The board doesn't have any expansion slots, it requires a riser card.

Features

Motherboard form factor: SSI TEB 2.1 12" x 13" (305mm x 330mm)
    CPU socket: 1366-pin
    RAM: Number of DIMM slots: 12
    Memory type: 800/1066/1333 MHz, Registered or Unbuffered
    Possible sizes of Memory Modules:
    Maximum Memory Capacity: 192 GB
    SATA chip: Intel ICH10R 3Gbps Controller.
    6x SATA Ports.
    RAID 0,1,10, optional RAID 5.
    These ports cannot be used in the SR1625 and SR2625 Server chassis of Thomas Krenn.
    SAS chip: There is no SAS chip located on the motherboard itself. This chip (LSI SAS 1078) is located on an active midplane, that Thomas Krenn is using for the SR1625 and SR2625 servers:
    Only available with active midplane (connected with the motherboard by a "Bridge Board Connector")
    8x SAS/SATA Ports.
    Software-RAID: RAID 0, 1, 10
    Hardware-RAID (optional): can be used when a "RAID Activation Key" and additional RAM-module for the RAID cache (512MB) is installed. The controller acts then as a LSI Hardware RAID controller and supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 6, 50 and 60. The BIOS is the same as for a LSI RAID controller.
    Remote Management: RMM3 (optional).
    Expansion slots: depends on riser card (1U or 2U)
    Graphics chip: IPMI chip: IPMI Chip onboard
    Quote Quote  
  5. @aedipuss: like lingyi mentioned, an extension card is needed, one can't directly use a pci-e card on with a 280pin slot.
    @lingyi: thanks, for that link, you are right about the placement, but that I can tackle somehow, main problem I had was infinding the extension cards.

Cu Selur

Ps.: ordered a ASR26XXFHLPR via ebay, should arrive the weekend before Christmas.
    Last edited by Selur; 6th Dec 2018 at 23:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good to hear you're (hopefully) getting what you need.

One last thing. It's good to hear you're not planning to use your system for gaming, but also be aware for certain tasks, video editing may be one, server boards and Xeon CPUs aren't necessarily better than a desktop board, especially an older board/CPu ~2012 like yours as Xeons are optimized for different tasks such as data management, not video processing.

There's a couple of recent threads here about video editing software not being able to utilize all the core/threads of server CPUs and why server boards and CPUs are a poor choice for gaming.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Used the machine for years for video encoding without any problem to utilize the cpus, mainly used it through a remote desktop, but since I now plan to use the machine as a normal desktop system I require it to have FullHD support, so the gpu anc cpu power should be enough.

It's mainly a thing of: Having the old hardware and trying to utilize it.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  8. Also as example you may wish to search for some equipment like this https://www.amazon.com/Slots-Adapter-Extender-Riser-Mining/dp/B078NDG2Q8 - i assume (perhaps wrongly) that your enclosure slots are 90deg angled (vertical) when compared to ordered riser (horizontal) - perhaps using riser with some extender (cable one, you will be able to relocate graphics card to better place, also you can always redirect card output to some bracket https://www.amazon.com/PCIE-Micro-Express-Flexible-Extension/dp/B00D79EV0G/ ) or buy different enclosure (with horizontally oriented slots) - IMHO less hassle solution https://www.hardwareschotte.de/preisvergleich/INTER-TECH-Geh-Ipc-4U-4088-S-88887178-p21948454 .
    Last edited by pandy; 8th Dec 2018 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @pandy: Not sure I understand you correctly, but I don't see where one would connect such a card to the Intel S5520UR mainboard.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The board has zero PCI slots, so the card wouldn't work, plus it slows down the PCI bus to USB 3.0 . Which does remind me of another option, though it won't be as good as a plug in card for speed (if required), there are USB to video (HDMI, DVI, VGA) adapters. With HDMI output up to UHD.

The cable would be a good solution, assuming it doesn't noticeable impact on the video card's video capability. The riser card is at a 90 degree angle because the board is designed for a 1U or 2U case. AFAIK, most riser cards are designed that way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not really sure how good USB video cards are since there is only USB 2.0 available on the board, but I'll keep it in mind in case the adapter card doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this USB 2.0 to HDMI adapter in my toolbox: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S08ADI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It works okay for HD, but I wouldn't use it for video editing, because the video does slow down and get choppy sometimes with fast motion. You could plug a USB 3.0 card into your riser, but it's gets really sloppy. Better to mod your case to fit the video card.

I also have adapters for VGA and DVI which work better at HD resolutions than the HDMI one, but again, not a real substitute for a video card.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Small follow up:
    Just wanted to report, that the ASR26XXFHLPR arrived and that it's now running without problems in combination with a simple Geforce GT 710.

-> Thanks to all who helped!

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote