VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

Still pretty new to posting here. I'm thinking about trying my hand at a relatively simple feature film fan edit. I'm wanting to make this edit, because I thought about two thirds of the film (which I'd been really excited about) were very well done ... but about one third was just awful. If it had not been for the subpar material, the film would still have had issues, but I'd have liked it a lot better.

The thing is, since this isn't a regular hobby of mine, I would want to stick to software that is either free or has trial ware with limited time, but with full functionality and no watermarks or other limitations that would make it no good for the one time project. Plus, I'd want the results to look pretty professional. I've already been able to produce a crude cut using only freeware programs. I was right about the story feeling much improved. But the quality of the edit is sorely lacking.

I know what I want to do can be achieved at a low cost, but I'm not sure it can be achieved well.

Since this project would involve several tasks, I'm not sure where it's best to post about it all, or if it would be better to take it one task at a time and make separate posts.

I'm also happy to share what film I'm wanting to edit and what specific changes I want to make, but wasn't sure if that would be relevant, either now or later.

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The impression I get from your other posts is that you do not actually own any media that you wish to edit.

That being so forum rules basically prevent discussion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I actually do own official copies of any media that I would wish to edit. I thought I made that clear in the other thread I've posted in previously.

I'm not sure where one would get the impression that I don't.

In my first post on videohelp, regarding a different project, I ended it by saying:

"PS- Just in case anyone is wondering, I do own all three “Hobbit” movies on both BD and DVD."

I'm asking for help with a different film in this thread, but I will always make sure to own physical copies of anything before I attempt any edits. And I'm only wanting to complete these projects for my own enjoyment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But why mention 'Downloading'

One does not typically download Blu-ray or dvd iso's. But if you acquired these by legal purchase then I retract my earlier comment.

And on that understanding you should make more clear what you are attempting to achieve. Tools are available for most scenarios. And most tools have a 30 day trial period if you do not wish to commit yourself to a full purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry if I haven't been clear. In the other thread I was asking about tinkering with a fan edit for the "Hobbit" film. I had to download that fan edit to aquire it, but I only did so after I had purchased the official Blu-rays & DVDs from which they were sourced. And the link I had posted was not a direct link, just the site where the Hobbit project was posted. It was merely meant to make it easier for people to see info about the project I'd wanted to tinker with. That was apparently not acceptable and I won't do it again.

For this thread I'm interested in editing another movie myself.

However, I won't need to download any content for this film as I would be doing the editing and I am already in possession of both the official Blu-ray and DVD of the this film. I would be looking for tips on lossless ripping, cutting by the frame, adding a few audio fades to help mask the extra cuts, rejoining the peices, and possibly remuxing in custom subtitles and re-burning to Blu-ray and DVD that would play on home players.

But in either case, I am only aquiring or wanting to edit material of which I already have legally purchased copies.

In light of all that, is this still the best thread to post in to ask for advice?
    Last edited by solkap; 6th Dec 2018 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think the Director and producer and probably the entire cast of the film you intend to vandalise would be too happy. So called Fan cuts have been sued successfully with take down notices. If you do what you want to do in the privacy of your own home and show no one then you are safe. If you upload what you have done then you will be in breach of copyright. At best "fan cuts" are terrible high school amateurish exercises and really are all a bit naff. Teach yourself how to edit by all means but be very careful if you upload copyright material
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't plan on uploading anything. I'm wanting to do this for my own enjoyment.
    Last edited by solkap; 6th Dec 2018 at 17:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    At best "fan cuts" are terrible high school amateurish exercises and really are all a bit naff.
    And isn't that a bit of an overgeneralization? My efforts will surely be middling at best. All the more reason not to distribute them. But I am very impressed with how professional the Hobbit Edit I mentioned looks and flows.

And as long as I pay for all the source material first and refrain from distributing anything I produce, I'm not sure I see the harm attempting to do something similar, albeit much less complex.

Again, I've absolutely payed for any film I've acquired in its released form first. And the same is true for anything I'd want to attempt to edit.
    Last edited by solkap; 6th Dec 2018 at 17:37.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by solkap View Post
    I don't plan on uploading anything. I'm wanting to do this for my own enjoyment.
    Which you are perfectly well entitled to do. The Self-Appointed Copyright Police would be well advised to know that privately mucking about with honestly-acquired intellectual property is protected by fair use, at least in the United States. Similarly, you are entitled to exhibit the property and your efforts within a close circle of family and friends. If you go uploading it to YouTube, that's when you need permission.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solkap View Post
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    At best "fan cuts" are terrible high school amateurish exercises and really are all a bit naff.
    And isn't that a bit of an overgeneralization? My efforts will surely be middling at best. All the more reason not to distribute them. But I am very impressed with how professional the Hobbit Edit I mentioned looks and flows.

And as long as I pay for all the source material first and refrain from distributing anything I produce, I'm not sure I see the harm attempting to do something similar, albeit much less complex.

Again, I've absolutely payed for any film I've acquired in its released form first. And the same is true for anything I'd want to attempt to edit.
    Putting my Self-Appointed Copyright Police cap on. What you paid for is an agreement (I hesitate to say right) to view the film as presented by the director, studio and distribution company. Editing the film and using any more than a small part of it for anything other than educational or satire purposes (and possibly a few other specialized purposes) is counter to that agreement.

That said, other than what's you've posted here. What happens in your home, stays in your home. You can watch it yourself, you can share it with your family and friends (though not give them a copy). But woe be to you if it becomes "solkap's edit of XXXX" and a copy somehow leaks outside your hands. That's when the Men in Black's ears may perk up and may cause them to come knocking on your door.

Edit: I won't get into the whole artist's / director's / producer's intent other than to say I look at viewing movies like golf. I may not like where my ball landed, but the rules say, "Play it as it lies!"
    Last edited by lingyi; 6th Dec 2018 at 21:14. Reason: Additional info
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Straying off topic, but out of curiosity, isn't it possible to edit a video to skip to a set marker/chapter, virtually or literally undetected? Like they do with alternate cuts of of movies.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you JVRaines.

Nope, no plans to upload it anywhere. I honestly think it would be silly to do so anyway. The changes I'm wanting to make are so straightforward that anyone who has any proficiency at video editing could probably easily recreate the same edit with a simple list. So it would seem kinda to make more sense that if I posted anything about the project that it would be just that: a list. More of a "here's what I did, if you think that sounds cool, try the same edits for yourself" type post. Anything else would seem superfluous.

Hi lingyi.

Man, "solkap's edit of XXXX" sounds super shady! Would this discussion be better served if I at least dropped the name of the film I have in mind? Perhaps that would help it seem less illicit? But then again, I'm trying not to clog the general threads with info that would be better posted in a more specific topic somewhere else, and I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job in that regard.

As far as altering a video file to automatically skip between time markers, there may be a way to do that, but it wouldnt quite achieve what I'm after. A few of the cuts would happen during scene transitions, and without a sound fade out or some other blending method up to a few of the cuts, the audio would abruptly stop before becoming quiet and as the scene changed.
    Last edited by solkap; 9th Dec 2018 at 11:00.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My $0.02

We're already on shaky ground with the editing and manipulation of the artistic aspects as it is. My suggestion is the less details about the title and your specific edits to that title the better. At his point, even a short clip or screenshots will likely cause concern about what you're trying to do.

It's not that anyone specifically doesn't believe what you're saying, just that many of the regulars here, myself included have been burned after days or weeks earnestly helping someone with questions, only for the OP to slip up and reveals the true source of what they're working with or what they're trying to do.

Find something royalty-free, public domain or from Youtube that roughly matches what to do (video and/or audio edit or effect) and post it here asking how that's done. Even then there's only so much that can be taught. The rest has to be learned through trial and error and application of your artistic sense of what you want the final product will be.

Edit: We may seem tough on you, but while helping others on this forum is held in high regard, the well being and continuance of this forum is even more important to many here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend letting this and your other thread a rest for at least a few days. While some of the regulars have already posted here, there's a handful of others that haven't and hopefully they'll comment.

Unfortunately, I don't know or do any video editing so can't help you on that front. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    By far one of the most wrong things posted at VH.

There are editors at Original Trilogy that do amazing work, things the original production should have (but didn't). Aside from Star Wars, Superman RIC and Superman IV are really high-end productions. There are many. Quite a few editors, now on big productions, cut their teeth on fan work. Unpaid, personal interest items. Some share, some leak, some don't.

Many times, fans have some communication with original directors/etc, either direct or indirect/backdoor. The professional and serious hobby communities are not huge, in some aspects. Fanboys of various genres/media would be giddy to know who I've met. These people often also use sites like digitalFAQ and VH (but are not obvious about it). You never know who is lurking, or even participating!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm putting the finishing touches on the project I mentioned in the OP.

Thanks to Information posted in many threads all around this site, the finished product has turned out really well! Way better than I was even expecting!

So I just wanted to say a quick thanks to those at this forum. This is probably a place where a lot of people come to get help, but I'd venture not many take the time to say that the help made a difference with their projects

But the Information on this site made all the difference for me.

So thank you!
    Quote Quote