VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello friends.

I was encoding a DVD and I came across a video problem getting "grabbing", I believe it's called pulldown, from what I researched. I usually resolve this by switching / holding the default fps (23,976, 29,970 in special cases 59,970) using AnimeIVTC, BruteIVTC and QTGMC.
    However, in this video I did not find any way to fix this problem, it is not the first dvd that appears, in others I also could not solve.

Is there any way to solve this or is it the source that is bad?

Sample:
    Dropbox

Thanks for the tips right away.

Media-info:

https://paste.ee/p/Pa0m3
    Last edited by Kuronoe; 2nd Dec 2018 at 14:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Kuronoe, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what are the specs of your source? You could start by providing a mediainfo report in text view.

Is it a Hollywood movie (which would typically be 24 fps) ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. redwudz Thank you for your suport, my bad.

davexnet media-info add.
    I can not explain what you have with this DVD. It is interlaced, but when I put it in dgindex, the result is "progressive". As you can see, the sample was obtained using dgindex, but it is interlaced as it should be looking at the source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That m2v was made incorrectly and is missing about 25 percent of the original film frames. That's why it's jerky.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That m2v was made incorrectly and is missing about 25 percent of the original film frames. That's why it's jerky.
    How can I do it properly? It's the first time I see this happen, the video being interlaced and the analysis of the dgindex pointing progressive.

I tried remux with makemkv and use the FFVideoSourcer but did not change the result. I'm still looking for alternatives, but I did not find anything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post a sample of the source file
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    any suggestion of program to make the cut of the sample? dgindex seems not to be doing this properly on this dvd. And makemkv seems to change the frames.

The sample I sent above looks wrong, according to Jagabo.

add to dropbox cut with mkvtoolnix.
    Last edited by Kuronoe; 2nd Dec 2018 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kuronoe View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    any suggestion of program to make the cut of the sample? dgindex seems not to be doing this properly on this dvd. And makemkv seems to change the frames.

The sample I sent above looks wrong, according to Jagabo.
    I don't understand - is that sample above something you encoded? If so, encoded from what?

If I misunderstood, please explain exactly what you have and what you're trying to do

EDIT - or is the m2v sample you provided your source that you are trying to encode to something else?
    The m2v is bad as jagabo says, who ever created the dvd did something wrong
    Last edited by davexnet; 2nd Dec 2018 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am trying to encoding a dvd (.vob - entrelaced) into a normal dvdrip (mkv - progressive).

I do this normally using QTGMC / AnimeIVTC or BruteIVTC, in that DVD works the deinterlace. But in that part, the video a few jumps / grabs as the scenery moves.

The m2v and others, are cuts of the original video, without encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. As I indicated before, the m2v is missing many of the original frames. The way to approach it is to remove all the duplicate frames then manually restore the missing frames by motion interpolation. This would be a PITA to do the for the entire video. And it doesn't work with character motion.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    As I indicated before, the m2v is missing many of the original frames. The way to approach it is to remove all the duplicate frames then manually restore the missing frames by motion interpolation. This would be a PITA to do the for the entire video. And it doesn't work with character motion.
    It was much better than my results. How did you do it?

Not many pictures, I believe it is this one and more 4. They come very little and for short periods, but they bother me too much.
    Last edited by Kuronoe; 2nd Dec 2018 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  13. First I used DeDup to remove all the duplicate frames. Then I used manually located all the missing frames and used InsertFramesMC (it can be found in these forums, included with ReplaceFramesMC) to insert motion interpolated frames.

Code:
    import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ReplaceFramesMC.avs") 

Mpeg2Source("01.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 

Interleave(TFM(field=1), TFM(field=0)) # smart bob
    Trim(0,599)

#DupMC(log="01.dup_list.txt") # use this to build the log file, or the next file to remove all the dups
    DeDup(threshold=0.6, maxcopies=10, maxdrops=9, log="01.dup_list.txt", times="01.times.txt")

InsertFramesMC(180)
    InsertFramesMC(177)
    InsertFramesMC(174)
    InsertFramesMC(171)
    InsertFramesMC(167)
    InsertFramesMC(164)
    InsertFramesMC(161)
    InsertFramesMC(158)
    InsertFramesMC(154)
    InsertFramesMC(151)
    InsertFramesMC(148)
    InsertFramesMC(145)
    InsertFramesMC(142)
    InsertFramesMC(138)
    InsertFramesMC(135)
    InsertFramesMC(132)
    InsertFramesMC(129)
    InsertFramesMC(125)
    InsertFramesMC(122)
    InsertFramesMC(119)
    InsertFramesMC(116)
    InsertFramesMC(112)
    InsertFramesMC(109)
    InsertFramesMC(106)
    InsertFramesMC(103)
    InsertFramesMC(99)
    InsertFramesMC(96)
    InsertFramesMC(93)
    InsertFramesMC(90)
    InsertFramesMC(86)
    InsertFramesMC(83)
    InsertFramesMC(80)
    InsertFramesMC(77)
    InsertFramesMC(73)
    InsertFramesMC(70)
    InsertFramesMC(67)
    InsertFramesMC(64)
    InsertFramesMC(61)
    InsertFramesMC(57)
    InsertFramesMC(54)
    InsertFramesMC(51)
    InsertFramesMC(48)
    InsertFramesMC(44)
    InsertFramesMC(41)
    InsertFramesMC(38)
    InsertFramesMC(35)
    InsertFramesMC(31)
    InsertFramesMC(28)
    InsertFramesMC(25)
    InsertFramesMC(22)
    InsertFramesMC(18)
    InsertFramesMC(15)
    InsertFramesMC(12)
    InsertFramesMC(9)
    InsertFramesMC(5)
    InsertFramesMC(2)

AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
    Unless the video was priceless to me I wouldn't bother. I'd just QTGMC and encode at 59.94 fps. That will only be as jerky as the original DVD.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Dec 2018 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'll test that.
    The point is not video is important, but it is learning how to solve this problem. I often find this in anime, old and new.

Thanks for your time and patience, bro.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I usually only see this type of problem only in short sections. It usually happens because the original film was telecined then sped up or slowed down.

You can probably TDecimate in mode 2 or 7 instead of DeDup. You just have to figure out what the correct frame rate is. In this case it's about 18.4 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  16. If you have a lot of dups, but also have a lot of dropped frames, that is very often caused by video captured via a screen capture program that couldn't keep up, or a capture card that is dropping frames. What happens is that the card or screen capture software drops a frame and then, to keep the audio in sync, will later duplicate a frame so that the frame count stays correct.

I ran into this a few years ago and was able to develop some code that can eliminate the dups while also finding and replacing most of the gaps created by the skipped frames. It is easy to find dups, but very difficult to reliably detect the places where there is a jump from the dropped frame. Fortunately, if you can get 80-95% of the drops, the result looks much, much better.

Here's a link to the thread I started. About halfway into the thread I posted my final code.

Automatically fix dups followed (eventually) by drops
    Quote Quote  
  17. johnmeyer

I was able to extract the video yesterday in a way that dgindex could read correctly.
    I used the pavtube to create a mpeg remux and then I passed it through dgindex, now it is pointing as entrelaced as it should.

It did not do much at the end.
    I'm trying to sort out the scenes that bother me the way Jagabo explained.
    I do not know the origin of this DVD, I believe it is not official as well.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look at your post and see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  18. This DupMC filter does not work here. Occurs: "Module not found. Install missing library". I have tried several solutions here in the forum and it does not work. :/
    Quote Quote  
  19. You just need to put dup.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder. Or manually import it into your script with LoadPlugin(). I'm using version 0.17.

http://akuvian.org/src/avisynth/dedup/
    Quote Quote  
  20. I tried this earlier.
    I'm using that same version.
    I have no idea what it is.
    I'll leave this DVD.

Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Did you install the Microsoft runtime libraries liked to at the bottom of the dedup page?

http://akuvian.org/src/avisynth/dedup/msvc_dlls.zip

They go in c:\windows\syswow64 if you are running 64 bit Windows, c:\windows\system32 if you are running 32 bit Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  22. jagabo

When you mentioned about the sys64 and 32 folders, I remembered that with a QTGMC filter I needed them both to work.
    I had just placed it in the sys64 folder.

Well, the filter works, but still has an error with this Dedup accuses "first pass missed frame 0".

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me. This video has already surpassed my patience.

I generated a remux on the pavtube (the only one that worked fine in reading the dgindex) and I'll try some more things.
    Last edited by Kuronoe; 4th Dec 2018 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Kuronoe View Post
    Well, the filter works, but still has an error with this Dedup accuses "first pass missed frame 0".
    Do you realize it is a two step process? You first run the script with just DupMC and play it from beginning to end (this generates the log file). When done you run the script with DeDup instead. So first open this script in VirtualDub and use File -> Run Video Analysis Pass:

Code:
    import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ReplaceFramesMC.avs") 

Mpeg2Source("01.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 

Interleave(TFM(field=1), TFM(field=0)) # smart bob
    Trim(0,599)

DupMC(log="01.dup_list.txt") # use this to build the log file, or the next file to remove all the dups
    Then run the full script given earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I managed to do it.
    Now I have done the virtualdub analysis, the question is: How do I know which frames to change with InsertFramesMC?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Kuronoe View Post
    How do I know which frames to change with InsertFramesMC?
    You step through the video frame by frame and look for the jumps visually.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for everything, Jagabo.

I encoding it directly and got extremely fast to passing frames.
    I'm going to look at the frames and see, I'm beginning to believe what you said, in the possibility of doing a 60fps.
    Quote Quote  
  27. You can't use that process for the entire video. You have to isolate the jerky panning shots and handle them separately from the rest of the video.
    Quote Quote