VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,,I have a semi-large collection of Blu-ray movies and I wish to rip them to a computer so I can conveniently store them on a external hard drive. What kind of program will I need to use so I can do this without loss of quality https://showbox.bio/ https://mobdro.bio/ https://vidmate.vet/ and will I need a external Blu-ray disk player to do this since my laptop isnít outfitted with a Blu-ray player? Also whatís the best video format to use? Any help or information will be appreciated! Edit: if anyone is wondering why I am posting this in the piracy section itís because I understand some people do convert Blu-ray movies to video files and they release them on the internet and the movies they convert look good, I wish to have the same quality.
    Last edited by Pranit6; 5th Dec 2018 at 08:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forums.

First, any discussion or reference to piracy or warez is prohibited on this forum

Second, Ripping and encoding (usually for a smaller file size) Blu-ray and DVDs for your own use (Fair Use) is not piracy

Third, despite anything you may read, it's impossible to shrink a Blu-ray or DVD without losing quality. What looks good to you may be unacceptable to others.

Finally, these types of questions have been asked and answered hundreds of times. I just recently posted the following in another thread. Replace DVD with Blu-ray and all programs and recommendations are the same:

For ripping* DVDs, DVDFab or DVD Passkey, both with free versions. If you have some new DVDs that these won't rip, they may have new copy protection schemes and you either have to pay for the full versions or wait a few weeks/months until the free versions are update to bypass new copy protection.

If you want to convert** your DVDs to MKV (without reducing the file size), MakeMKV. MakeMKV currently is always free, but again you may have to wait a few weeks/months before it's updated to bypass new copy protection.

If you want to encode*** your rips to a smaller size, Handbrake and Avidemux. Other posters can give more suggestions on settings to use for your size/use goals.

*Ripping a Video DVD means only one thing (though the term is often misused). A rip is an exact bit for bit copy/size of the original movie and menus and extras if desired. You can save your rip as an.iso which is an image of your DVD or individual files in folders (Video_ts and Audio_ts). Both can be used to burn a new Video DVD.

**MakeMKV can rip and remux (place the video(s) from the DVD into an .mkv container. You can't encode with MakeMKV

***When you encode (usually to shrink) the video from a DVD, you use a codec/format, e.g. h264, mov, .mpg and put the file into a container, e.g. .mp4, .mkv, .avi.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pranit6 View Post
    Hello,,I have a semi-large collection of Blu-ray movies and I wish to rip them to a computer so I can conveniently store them on a external hard drive. What kind of program will I need to use so I can do this without loss of quality and will I need a external Blu-ray disk player to do this since my laptop isnít outfitted with a Blu-ray player? Also whatís the best video format to use? Any help or information will be appreciated! Edit: if anyone is wondering why I am posting this in the piracy section itís because I understand some people do convert Blu-ray movies to video files and they release them on the internet and the movies they convert look good, I wish to have the same quality.
    As I stated above, you can't reduce file size without reducing quality to some extent. The best quality you'll ever get from a Blu-ray is a rip which is exactly the same quality as on disc.

Yes, you'll need a USB Blu-ray drive to rip your discs. Look for one that has dual USB plugs (that go into your laptop) since a single port on your laptop may not supply enough current for the drive to work properly.

I have a whole other wall of text about external hard drives, but the most important thing is unless you want to re-rip all your discs again, be sure to keep a backup of all your files.

Edit: If you're interested in (or just looking to punish yourself with my wall of text) why I believe external hard drives are not the best storage for any type of data, here's a link to my most recent rant (read my second post): https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390997-Questions-for-combining-video-files-in-vari...to-home-movies
    Last edited by lingyi; 1st Dec 2018 at 15:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've rippped my entire DVD and Blu ray discs using MakeMKV to my NAS for my own use only, this means I can access my library in several locations in my house via my media players in my living room, music room and one of the bedrooms. It's a quick program doesn't re-encode nor shrink. quality in = quality out. I purchased MakeMKV to add some support to the developer. It's worth doing, however it is fully functional with the regularly published rego key by the author, just a month or so behind the latest purchased iteration.
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I've rippped my entire DVD and Blu ray discs using MakeMKV to my NAS for my own use only, this means I can access my library in several locations in my house via my media players in my living room, music room and one of the bedrooms. It's a quick program doesn't re-encode nor shrink. quality in = quality out. I purchased MakeMKV to add some support to the developer. It's worth doing, however it is fully functional with the regularly published rego key by the author, just a month or so behind the latest purchased iteration.
    Unlike DVDFab and DVD Passkey, MakeMKV doesn't have a delay in updates for new copy protections in the free version. The free version is exactly the same as the paid one. Paying (which you and I have) is a feel-good/right thing to do for such a great program. The author has stated that while it's in Beta, which it has been since it's introduction, it will never require payment for full functionality (I believe Lighting U.K said the same thing about Imgburn). The reason it's updated every few months (and requires a new download) is because the author is continually fixing bugs (mostly minor by now) and adding support for new copy protection schemes.

Edit: From the MakeMKV payment page:

"MakeMKV is sold as "try-before-you-buy" software. You can try it for 30 days for free, so you have enough time to verify the program's functionality. GuinpinSoft inc doesn't refund your money if you are not satisfied with our products. The only shareware limitation is the expiration date" [My emphasis]
    Last edited by lingyi; 1st Dec 2018 at 17:31. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote