VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I connect a NTSC Hi8 camcorder to a PAL DVD recorder and play a NTSC Hi8 tape on the camcorder, can the DVD recorder record the signal?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.

In colour. No.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Okay, I see. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Some of the OLDer Philips machines could record both NTSC and PAL, but those are long dead by now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Some of the OLDer Philips machines could record both NTSC and PAL, but those are long dead by now.
    Do you by any chance have any idea of which models they were? I may be able to borrow an old Philips DVD recorder (the kind that didn't have a built in hdd, but recorded straight to DVD).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This one did:
    https://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR985-Progressive-Scan-Recorder-Player/dp/B00005YXZE
    I have my old one in my basement. Took HOURS to finalize the disc, so it was finally retired.
    It obviously could not record PAL via the tuner, but could record a straight PAL signal through
    any of the other inputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I think my friend is saying is that if you have a NTSC input then the recorder would record in NTSC.

I can not see any recorder doing a standards conversion.

The other thing with 'ancient' machines would be their tolerance with today's faster media. My first recorder would only accept 2x disks. It baulked at 4x (2x compatable) ones.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you both for additional info!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote