VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have purchased a Panasonic HDC-SD40. The user manual recommends Writer LE 1.0.
    My PC uses Windows 10 which is not in the compatible operating systems list.
    Should I use a later version of the writer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try using the windows 10 compatibility program, do you have the software already on your computer ??
    right click on the shortcut icon - click properties - compatibility - select the windows version it's for
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply october262. I haven't downloaded anything yet. I'm a complete newbie here.
    I have previously used Serif Video Plus which I was happy with.
    I thought that I should try device specific software. Perhaps I am better sticking to the software I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever was listed in the manual, is likely what was provided "free" with the cam. You can use any software to process the files.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Whatever was listed in the manual, is likely what was provided "free" with the cam. You can use any software to process the files.
    +1

A lot of times the included software is a Limited Edition (which is what I suspect the LE in the name means) and they'll try to get you buy the full edition.

Also, your camera records to an SD card, so as long as you can read the card and files in your PC, you're good to go with any editing program you're happy with. However, while I don't do any video editing myself, the Serif software you listed doesn't ring a bell as one of the recommended video editing programs here. Highly suggest you do a search for video editing programs, NLE (Non Linear Editing) is a term you should look for on this forum. Better to get something that's recommended and won't limit or cost you more as your editing desires and needs grow. There are some free programs that can do a lot.

If you're still uncertain what to get, start a thread stating what you're looking for, eg: simple cut and paste, add effects, making a DVD, posting to the web, etc.

Oh, and be sure not to buy any SD card that's too good (i.e. way lower priced than the competition, even the same name brand) as their size is overstated and you'll end up with only a partial video.

Also, backup whatever you've transferred from your SD card immediately. SD cards can and do fail suddenly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all your very helpful advise.
    I downloaded NCH VideoPad Video Editor - free light version. After trying this with some test clips I have purchased the full version.

I am very satisfied with this and feel it is good value.
    Others might like to try the light version to see if it satisfies their needs.
    Quote Quote