VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all,

Apologies in advance if this is a really stupid question, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the free Winxdvd ripper version. Plenty of articles I’ve read say it’s available but when you go to download it the platinum version installs. That’s all well and good but it only does the first 5 mins as a trial version then you’re supposed to buy it. Another article said that once the trial version expires it reverts to the normal free version and you can rip as normal without the bells and whistles but that doesn’t seem to be working for me. I don’t know how long it’s supoosed to take to expire... Can anyone tell me what it is I’m doing wrong? I’m far from the most tech savvy person... Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forums.

First, please stop even considering WinX DVD, there are far better solutions that are free and better supported here than it. Few posters on this forum (especially the regulars) use it. To encode/shrink your DVDs, an additional program/step is usually required, but again, the result will be far better than WinX DVD or any All-In-One program.

For ripping* DVDs, DVDFab or DVD Passkey, both with free versions. If you have some new DVDs that these won't rip, they may have new copy protection schemes and you either have to pay for the full versions or wait a few weeks/months until the free versions are update to bypass new copy protection.

If you want to convert** your DVDs to MKV (without reducing the file size), MakeMKV. MakeMKV currently is always free, but again you may have to wait a few weeks/months before it's updated to bypass new copy protection.

If you want to encode*** your rips to a smaller size, Handbrake and Avidemux. Other posters can give more suggestions on settings to use for your size/use goals.

*Ripping a Video DVD means only one thing (though the term is often misused). A rip is an exact bit for bit copy/size of the original movie and menus and extras if desired. You can save your rip as an.iso which is an image of your DVD or individual files in folders (Video_ts and Audio_ts). Both can be used to burn a new Video DVD.

**MakeMKV can rip and remux (place the video(s) from the DVD into an .mkv container. You can't encode with MakeMKV

***When you encode (usually to shrink) the video from a DVD, you use a codec/format, e.g. h264, mov, .mpg and put the file into a container, e.g. .mp4, .mkv, .avi.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    Can anyone tell me what it is I’m doing wrong?
    All the "free" talk online appears to just be cracked versions using "borrowed" serial key -- aka warez, aka against forum rules.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks very much for your reply lingyi.
    I’ve never used winx before and was just going off some of the reviews online. This is also why I wanted to try it before buying it. All I want to do is put some dvds onto my iPhone so that I can watch them, I don’t need to do anything fancy.
    I’ve tried DVDFab years ago and while it did work I can’t use the free trial anymore as I’ve had a free trial previously. I tried downloading handbrake while I was waiting for a reply here but it only seems to support windows 64 bit and my system is operating 32 bit so it wouldn’t install. I tried downloading something from Microsoft that the program suggested but that wouldn’t install either. I had at least 5 malware alerts pop up this evening trying to download new programs as mentioned here or update programs that are already on my computer, it’s been a bit frustrating!
    The MakeMKV container/encoding thing sounds a little complex for my skill set... I might see if Avidemux can do what I’m after.

Lordsmurf, I thought I was reading about the free Winxdvd on tech review websites, so I was under the impression it was legit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Curlz, the common free version has 5-min DVD ripping limitation. But you can go to their official website and win a free license code from giveaway event. Usually this kind of license code enables you to enjoy full features without other limits. But the license code doesn't work any more once you upgrade this program in the future. I pay much attention to those deals, giveaway or contest websites. Most software developers will publish their promotion events thereon.
    Last edited by PepijnSplin; 24th Apr 2019 at 06:02.
    Quote Quote