VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread
  1. Some questions...

    1. I used to rip, 10 years ago, using DVD Decrypter exclusively. I'll admit the amount of times I need to rip and backup a disc is rare nowadays. But I just want to know if there's anything that works in any way better or more effectively that DVD Decrypter which I've installed on every build I've run over the past 10 years just because it works so well. I don't think anyone's developing any new protection/encryption anymore. So is there anything new in a free program? To be clear, I'm talking about DVD to ISO back to DVD.

    2. Another thing is, it may be me not remembering properly but I seem to recall using IMGBurn to rip and burn. But it's not working for me today. Maybe you could never rip a commercial disc with IMGBurn?

    3. Lastly, how much of this can only be done with a firmware modded DVD burner. Mine happens to be, I did it years ago. But does a DVD burner still need to be firmware modded, region unlocked to rip and burn discs successfully or does software take care of that now?

    Thanks for any help!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    dvdfab & anydvd are the 2 most recommended dvd ripping programs out there.
    imgburn is still the best at burning your discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In order to rip copyprotected DVD VIDEO Discs you need a decrypter, such as AnyDVD or DVDFab
    AnyDVD rightclick on taskbar fox icon and rip to iso
    DVDFab
    both are not free

    But DVDFab HD Decrypter is free.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    In order to rip copyprotected DVD VIDEO Discs you need a decrypter, such as AnyDVD or DVDFab
    AnyDVD rightclick on taskbar fox icon and rip to iso
    DVDFab
    both are not free

    But DVDFab HD Decrypter is free.
    So, how does DVDFab HD Decrypter differ. If it's free and the other two are paid, there must be a reason some people nevertheless prefer the paid programs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Read description on https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab-Decrypter
    It is the simple version, but since you only need decrypt DVD VIDEO it is enough. Burn the image with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Read description on https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab-Decrypter
    It is the simple version, but since you only need decrypt DVD VIDEO it is enough. Burn the image with ImgBurn.
    the free HD decrypter version works on some older titles, but if the movie is a new recent release
    then the free HD decrypter may not work because of the copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Studios may more concentrate on Blu-ray copy protections instead of DVDs. So worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tpapictures View Post
    Some questions...

    1. I used to rip, 10 years ago, using DVD Decrypter exclusively. I'll admit the amount of times I need to rip and backup a disc is rare nowadays. But I just want to know if there's anything that works in any way better or more effectively that DVD Decrypter which I've installed on every build I've run over the past 10 years just because it works so well. I don't think anyone's developing any new protection/encryption anymore. So is there anything new in a free program? To be clear, I'm talking about DVD to ISO back to DVD.

    2. Another thing is, it may be me not remembering properly but I seem to recall using IMGBurn to rip and burn. But it's not working for me today. Maybe you could never rip a commercial disc with IMGBurn?

    3. Lastly, how much of this can only be done with a firmware modded DVD burner. Mine happens to be, I did it years ago. But does a DVD burner still need to be firmware modded, region unlocked to rip and burn discs successfully or does software take care of that now?

    Thanks for any help!!
    1. While DVD Decrypter is a good program, unless there some function/feature that you're attached to, current programs like AnyDVD and DVDFab not only handle new copy protection schemes (if they appear) better, but are probably quicker/efficient at ripping than older programs. That's not to say newer is always better, the last version was released in 2013 and the recommended version (no adware) is even older. There's also DVDShrink (last version 2004), which may be surpassed by some newer programs does a great job when you're just trying to unwanted extras or subs from DVDs.

    As flashandpan007 stated, most of the new copy protection schemes are focused on Blu-Ray and UHD, but I've read about this sometimes trickling down to DVDs. An example is Cinevia which is used primarily on Blu-Ray (probably UHD also), but is used on some DVDs.

    2. Imgburn can create an .iso from a unprotected DVD. Not all commercial DVD releases are copy protected, it's primarily U.S. releases that are. I have hundreds of Asian DVDs and have come across copy protection on only a handful of them, usually these from Japan. Also, overseas versions of Hollywood movies may be protection free. One of the Cinevia workarounds is to use the non-U.S., Cinevia-free release soundtracks to replace the protected one.

    3. AFAIK, the days of having to remove or bypass the region lock on DVD/Blu-Ray drives are long gone. I'll occasionally get the "Choose a Region" message when ripping a DVD/Blu-Ray, but I haven't seen the "You have X more changes before the last region you chose becomes permanent" message for years.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by surdelmavo View Post
    Originally Posted by tpapictures View Post
    Some questions...

    1. I used to rip, 10 years ago, using DVD Decrypter exclusively. I'll admit the amount of times I need to rip and backup a disc is rare nowadays. But I just want to know if there's anything that works in any way better or more effectively that DVD Decrypter which I've installed on every build I've run over the past 10 years just because it works so well. I don't think anyone's developing any new protection/encryption anymore. So is there anything new in a free program? To be clear, I'm talking about DVD to ISO back to DVD.

    2. Another thing is, it may be me not remembering properly but I seem to recall using IMGBurn to rip and burn. But it's not working for me today. Maybe you could never rip a commercial disc with IMGBurn?

    3. Lastly, how much of this can only be done with a firmware modded DVD burner. Mine happens to be, I did it years ago. But does a DVD burner still need to be firmware modded, region unlocked to rip and burn discs successfully or does software take care of that now?

    Thanks for any help!!
    So, how does DVDFab HD Decrypter differ. If it's free and the other two are paid, there must be a reason some people nevertheless prefer the paid programs.
    the free version of DVDFab HD Decrypter works on older movies but may not work on new release movies as it falls
    behind in the terms of decryption updates. paid users get updates faster. the free version usually receives these updates 60 to 90 days
    after the paid version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tpapictures View Post
    Thanks for any help!!
    DVD Decrypter still works on most discs, especially non-movies (and even then, non-blockbusters). Most studios long ago abandoned DVD protections at all, or at least complex ones, because DVD is a losing format. They no longer care.

    ImgBurn reads discs (non-protected), and writes quite well. CD, DVD and BD.

    Region protection has never mattered for ripping, just playing.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads