VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. [QUOTE=RS456;2535124]
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

….. Suggest a good and reasonably priced capture card (usb or pci-e) for this computer. Provide links if possible.
    My choice is Hauppauge USB-Live2. Use it with VirtualDub, VirtualVCR or similar for lossless (huffyuv, UTVideo) capturing and compress later offline in a second step
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_usblive2.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=LMotlow;2535125]
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Suggest a good and reasonably priced capture card (usb or pci-e) for this computer. Provide links if possible.
    https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-digital-converter-Software/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1...ltimedia+vc500
    Tested in this forum and digitalfaq, many VC500 posts over the years. Use it with VirtualDub or AmarecTV. Works with XP up thru Win10. Price was originally $100, has gone down over the years because analog capture isn't as "hot" an item as it was in the past.
    Any suggestion for a card/usb with HDMI in?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Its been a few months but I got a pci card at a reasonable price. I did a vhs conversion as a trial. Please tell me what you think. I posted a screen shot.

[Attachment 47780 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Crushed blacks, poor horizontal time base, bad upscaling, wrong aspect ratio, bad deinterlacing...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Can you explain each one ? I am surprised you saw that many issues. Only issues I saw were the distorted bar on the bottom and blurry image which is to be expected in vhs. Regarding upscale I didn't do anything. My combo player does it automatically.

I am new to this so please circle all the issues in the screen shot and repost it..
    Last edited by RS456; 9th Jan 2019 at 14:52. Reason: elaborating
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    For a still I can see two problems, The aspect ratio is dead wrong, VHS is 4/3 not 16/9, and luma level is too low.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Ok for the ratio I have to see my manual if I can disable the auto upscale. Is the ratio error the reason for the distortion at the very bottom of the screen (small bar strip). I am not sure if I can adjust the luma level in the VCR. I might have to do that in reencoding in the computer. Anything else other than those problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. jagabo mentioned the deinterlacing. Don't deinterlace. There must be a way to turn it off. He also mentioned the lack of timebase correction in your VCR

I am not sure if I can adjust the luma level in the VCR.
    Maybe not. What about in your capture program? If not, look for a different one. Or you used a DVD recorder for the capture? Bad idea. If you don't have any choice in the matter, look in the manual or in the menu for a way to adjust the brightness and contrast. And I really doubt you're forced to make it 16:9 and upscale. You want to cap at 720x480. Then you can fix things later on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The weird strip on the bottom is not meant to be seen by conventional TV's since they have the overscan feature built into them, Your DVD mpeg encoder is just scanning the whole frame including the control data, You can crop it in software later if you want to.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The weird strip on the bottom is not meant to be seen by conventional TV's since they have the overscan feature built into them, Your DVD mpeg encoder is just scanning the whole frame including the control data, You can crop it in software later if you want to.
    So that is not a distortion error and I can crop without losing any of the original video?

Originally Posted by manono
    jagabo mentioned the deinterlacing. Don't deinterlace. There must be a way to turn it off. He also mentioned the lack of timebase correction in your VCR

I am not sure if I can adjust the luma level in the VCR.
    Maybe not. What about in your capture program? If not, look for a different one. Or you used a DVD recorder for the capture? Bad idea. If you don't have any choice in the matter, look in the manual or in the menu for a way to adjust the brightness and contrast. And I really doubt you're forced to make it 16:9 and upscale. You want to cap at 720x480. Then you can fix things later on.
    I looked an the manual. I can adjust the ratio. The 16:9 and upscale is set by default and can be adjusted according to manual. For the capture I used Hauppauge Collassus and capture is done in my computer. The Software I used is the software that came with the card.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    New samples. All these are in 480. The screenshot is somehow showing more than that.

[Attachment 47791 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47792 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47793 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 47794 - Click to enlarge]

Please tell me if they are better than my previous sample. If so which one.
    Last edited by RS456; 11th Jan 2019 at 17:18. Reason: Elaborating
    Quote Quote