VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 3D Blu-Ray disc that I'm trying to add Atmos sound to, because the studio only wanted to give it to us in the UHD version.

Anyway, I extracted the Atmos sound track in both THD format using eac3to, and also in a MKA file using MKVtoolnix. I then tried to use TSMuxer (latest version) to add that track to the Blu Ray video and make a new ISO. The problem is that TSMuxer doesn't like the audio. With both formats it keeps telling me "Can't detect stream type" when I try to add the audio.

Is there anything else I can do to get the Atmos audio onto the Blu Ray disc? I can easily do it as an MKV file output using MKVToolnix, but that is not what I'm looking for because I want to play the 3D Blu Ray on a disc player after.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try MKVCleaver to extract the audio. It extracts files in the format that they are. ie subtitle tracks come out as srt whilst mkvtoolnix outputs as MKS and need further conversion often.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    You could try MKVCleaver to extract the audio. It extracts files in the format that they are. ie subtitle tracks come out as srt whilst mkvtoolnix outputs as MKS and need further conversion often.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that program to extract the Atmos and it gave me a file with a .truehd extension. I tried adding that in TSMuxer and got the same "can't detect stream type" error. Man, TSMuxer is one picky program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think TSMuxer is looking for a THD+ac3 track...The TrueHD with the base DolbyDigital embedded in it
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run MediaInfo on the .truehd track and post the results.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
    I think TSMuxer is looking for a THD+ac3 track...The TrueHD with the base DolbyDigital embedded in it
    Any suggestion on how I can get something like that? I tried extracting both the TrueHD and AC3 tracks together using MKVCleaver, but it gave me two different files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Run MediaInfo on the .truehd track and post the results.
    General
    Complete name : F:\Atmos.truehd
    Format : TrueHD
    File size : 3.25 GiB
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    FileExtension_Invalid : mlp thd vr

Audio
    Format : TrueHD
    Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Maximum bit rate : 5 742 kb/s
    Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
    Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. Note mkvmerge will separate TrueHD and AC3 core into separate tracks. So if possible go back to your source files which still have them in a single track.

Should that no be possible anymore eac3to can encode an AC3 core:
    eac3to "input.thd" "output.thd+ac3"

(I don't know about tsMuxer's capabilities.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    It mentions ProTools and a plugin for it. While that isn't domestic to Aussies, it IS internationally available.
    However, am pretty confident that, until IF and WHEN a FOSS application developer reverse-engineers it, Atmos creation will not be available to anyone for less than $$$. That's by design.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24th Nov 2018 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scott that was exactly what I meant by my post and by domestic I meant free programs like TSMuxer etc etc. ProTools widely used in Oz BTW even at the Australian Film TV and Radio School, the Federal government funded media school, located at Fox studios Sydney
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smd9 View Post
    I have a 3D Blu-Ray disc that I'm trying to add Atmos sound to, because the studio only wanted to give it to us in the UHD version.

Anyway, I extracted the Atmos sound track in both THD format using eac3to, and also in a MKA file using MKVtoolnix. I then tried to use TSMuxer (latest version) to add that track to the Blu Ray video and make a new ISO. The problem is that TSMuxer doesn't like the audio. With both formats it keeps telling me "Can't detect stream type" when I try to add the audio.

Is there anything else I can do to get the Atmos audio onto the Blu Ray disc? I can easily do it as an MKV file output using MKVToolnix, but that is not what I'm looking for because I want to play the 3D Blu Ray on a disc player after.
    you could try this - https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvdfab-diy.htm
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
    Any suggestion on how I can get something like that? I tried extracting both the TrueHD and AC3 tracks together using MKVCleaver, but it gave me two different files.
    Is the UHD rip with the THD/Atmos track a full disc rip or an mkv?

If it's an mkv the AC3 core has probably been stripped as previously mentioned. eac3to should be able to embed an AC3 core into the THD track and output as THD+AC3 like sneaker mentions below.

EDIT: eac3to "input.thd" "output.thd+ac3"

I say should because sometimes I get errors that prevent it from doing so successfully...but I use useac3to for gui and I'm guessing I'm not setup properly or something.

If it's a full disc rip I think you should be able to load the (correct) playlist in tsmuxer along with the 3D disc and just reorder and remux, keeping only the tracks you want.

Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Note mkvmerge will separate TrueHD and AC3 core into separate tracks. So if possible go back to your source files which still have them in a single track.

Last edited by redsandvb; 25th Nov 2018 at 21:02.
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I'm looking for something a little cheaper than $15,000. Plus it says it doesn't support 3D Blu Ray. Thanks anyway though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

If it's an mkv the AC3 core has probably been stripped as previously mentioned. eac3to should be able to embed an AC3 core into the THD track and output as THD+AC3 like sneaker mentions below.

I say should because sometimes I get errors that prevent it from doing so successfully...but I use useac3to for gui and I'm guessing I'm not setup properly or something.

If it's a full disc rip I think you should be able to load the (correct) playlist in tsmuxer along with the 3D disc and just reorder and remux, keeping only the tracks you want.

Note mkvmerge will separate TrueHD and AC3 core into separate tracks. So if possible go back to your source files which still have them in a single track.

I have both full disc and MP3. TSMuxer doesn't support UHD discs it seems. I can add the full disc playlist file and select the audio track that has the AC3 core + TrueHD audio, but it gives me a "Can't parse playlist file" error when I try to mux into a Blu-Ray ISO.

I tried encoding an AC3 core into the TrueHD track using eac3to like you suggested, but the following is what happened:

>eac3to.exe "f:\Atmos.truehd" "F:\AtmosAC3.thd+ac3"
    TrueHD (Atmos), 7.1 channels, 48kHz
    AC3 encoding doesn't support back channels. Will mix them into the surround.
    Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
    Mixing surround channels...
    Remapping channels...
    Encoding AC3 <640kbps> with libAften...
    Creating file "F:\AtmosAC3.thd+ac3"...
    libav Lossless check failed - expected 00, calculated 1f.
    libav restart header sync incorrect (got 0x04b2)
    libav Invalid channel 8 specified as output from matrix.
    The libav decoder reported error -1094995529 while decoding.
    Aborted at file position 87818240.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have both full disc and MP3. TSMuxer doesn't support UHD discs it seems. I can add the full disc playlist file and select the audio track that has the AC3 core + TrueHD audio, but it gives me a "Can't parse playlist file" error when I try to mux into a Blu-Ray ISO.

I tried encoding an AC3 core into the TrueHD track using eac3to like you suggested, but the following is what happened:

Remapping channels...

Darn. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the process can help. Sorry
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    I was trying to do the same to my Blade Runner 2049 3D BD. Warner Bros. just has no love for putting Atmos or HD 7.1 sounds on their 3D BD. I think partly due to the fact that there is barely any room left to spare on a DL 50GB BD. Most of the 3D BD with HD 7.1 sound already clocks in at 48GB. I think it's really hard to squeeze in Atmos on BD 3D disc. That being said, WB can at least include a 7.1 HD track instead of a HD 5.1 track. I'm living abroad in Asia, and thought I got lucky and when I found a 3D BD version of Blade Runner 2049 with Atmos on the cover. But it was a combo cover and Atmos was on the 2D, and for some reason Sony is distributing 2049 in Asia not WB, and (sigh) the audio is not even HD 5.1, it's regular lossly Dolby Digital 5.1. I have no idea why. I digress, I'm responding to tell you what I found out in my adventures in trying to do something similar on my 3D BD titles with 5.1 and Atmos on their 2D combo pack counter part, and at the very least, down convert Atmos to a HD 7.1 track.

TSmuxer, if you haven't figured out by now, does not support Atmos, trust me, tried and tried. No dice. You can strip it down to an utput.thd+ac3 as mentioned the other posts, but that process is complicated and not very practical and might be a sound integrity issue. I did this with my Lego Batman, and channel separation is quite off. So not entirely impossible, the end results is a mix bag at best. So I ended up settling for converting Atmos down to DTS HD 7.1. I was able to do this using MKVtoolnix to convert Atmos to MKA. Then used UsEac3To to demux it into 7.1 channel streams. Lastly using DTS HD Encoder to assemble all of the channels into an dtsHDMA file and then marry it back to the video using MKVtoolnix again. If you want it back as a Blu Ray file, then you can drop the finished MKV file into DVDFab Blu Ray creator and burn a back-up copy, assuming you own the original 3D BD, I don't condone pirating, 3D is dying and needs support! I did this with some of my 3D titles for the same reasons you are, 3D should be seen with at lease a 7.1 track.

I know I didn't really help you solve this problem, but just wanted to give some insight into the process. Sorry, as far as I know, there are no easy or affordable way to strip, process, and remux Atmos to a different Blu Ray video file. And since 3D is dying on the home theater front, I don't foresee anybody making this possible in the near future.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by evilronin71 View Post
    I was trying to do the same to my Blade Runner 2049 3D BD. Warner Bros. just has no love for putting Atmos or HD 7.1 sounds on their 3D BD. I think partly due to the fact that there is barely any room left to spare on a DL 50GB BD. Most of the 3D BD with HD 7.1 sound already clocks in at 48GB. I think it's really hard to squeeze in Atmos on BD 3D disc. That being said, WB can at least include a 7.1 HD track instead of a HD 5.1 track. I'm living abroad in Asia, and thought I got lucky and when I found a 3D BD version of Blade Runner 2049 with Atmos on the cover. But it was a combo cover and Atmos was on the 2D, and for some reason Sony is distributing 2049 in Asia not WB, and (sigh) the audio is not even HD 5.1, it's regular lossly Dolby Digital 5.1. I have no idea why. I digress, I'm responding to tell you what I found out in my adventures in trying to do something similar on my 3D BD titles with 5.1 and Atmos on their 2D combo pack counter part, and at the very least, down convert Atmos to a HD 7.1 track.

TSmuxer, if you haven't figured out by now, does not support Atmos, trust me, tried and tried. No dice. You can strip it down to an utput.thd+ac3 as mentioned the other posts, but that process is complicated and not very practical and might be a sound integrity issue. I did this with my Lego Batman, and channel separation is quite off. So not entirely impossible, the end results is a mix bag at best. So I ended up settling for converting Atmos down to DTS HD 7.1. I was able to do this using MKVtoolnix to convert Atmos to MKA. Then used UsEac3To to demux it into 7.1 channel streams. Lastly using DTS HD Encoder to assemble all of the channels into an dtsHDMA file and then marry it back to the video using MKVtoolnix again. If you want it back as a Blu Ray file, then you can drop the finished MKV file into DVDFab Blu Ray creator and burn a back-up copy, assuming you own the original 3D BD, I don't condone pirating, 3D is dying and needs support! I did this with some of my 3D titles for the same reasons you are, 3D should be seen with at lease a 7.1 track.

I know I didn't really help you solve this problem, but just wanted to give some insight into the process. Sorry, as far as I know, there are no easy or affordable way to strip, process, and remux Atmos to a different Blu Ray video file. And since 3D is dying on the home theater front, I don't foresee anybody making this possible in the near future.
    hi, i'm having the same issue. I've tried several methods and wasted almost whole day for it but unsuccessfully. I found a way to add the atmos track to tsmuxer, taking it from the .mpls file instead mkv. The track is called TRUEHD+AC3 but the iso created is screwed. On himedia player movie stucks while on makemkv it loads endlessly, and once we press "stop" the audio track is missing. Meaning it cant be read like with the himedia. i give up and i want to try your method, but its unclear... what is dts hd encoder???
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    [/QUOTE]hi, i'm having the same issue. I've tried several methods and wasted almost whole day for it but unsuccessfully. I found a way to add the atmos track to tsmuxer, taking it from the .mpls file instead mkv. The track is called TRUEHD+AC3 but the iso created is screwed. On himedia player movie stucks while on makemkv it loads endlessly, and once we press "stop" the audio track is missing. Meaning it cant be read like with the himedia. i give up and i want to try your method, but its unclear... what is dts hd encoder???[/QUOTE]

Hi. Yeah, I read about the TRUEHD+AC3 method too, but seems overly complicated and didn't see the logic stream of this method making too much sense to even try. Basically, I'm lazy

DTS-HD Encoder is a program that you can plug in different channels (audio streams) and then it will put it all together into one DTS-HD stream being 2.0, 5.1, or 7.1. I've had great success with converting my Atmos 2D titles into dts-hd 7.1 and adding it to 3D HSBS or HOU. Like I mentioned before, I did this with my Lego Batman combo set. I took the Atmos from the 2d, convert it to dts-hd 7.1. convert the 3D to HSBS. Take out the 5.1 from the 3D HSBS. Dropped in the 7.1 and it worked gloriously. The Atmos just kept freezing up on my Sony BD player as well, so had to find a better way to play it.

Not sure if the forum allows links. But if you search "dts-hd encoder" a video will come up of YT and a few other sites to show some info. It is an older program. Like from the last decade! I don't know why they stopped. But it still works, at least for me. The whole program is called dts-hd encoder suite. It's was originally pretty pricy. But I was lucky, my brother works for a sound studio in Santa Monica and, the studio had no more need for it and sold me their copy.

You know this would be a lot easier if DVDFAB would develop their software to be able to add an HD-Audio stream to existing BD disc backup. But the reason why they and others haven't done so is probably not as easy as it sounds.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dts-dts-hd-master-audio-suite

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  21. hi, i'm having the same issue. I've tried several methods and wasted almost whole day for it but unsuccessfully. I found a way to add the atmos track to tsmuxer, taking it from the .mpls file instead mkv. The track is called TRUEHD+AC3 but the iso created is screwed. On himedia player movie stucks while on makemkv it loads endlessly, and once we press "stop" the audio track is missing. Meaning it cant be read like with the himedia. i give up and i want to try your method, but its unclear... what is dts hd encoder???[/QUOTE]

Hi. Yeah, I read about the TRUEHD+AC3 method too, but seems overly complicated and didn't see the logic stream of this method making too much sense to even try. Basically, I'm lazy

DTS-HD Encoder is a program that you can plug in different channels (audio streams) and then it will put it all together into one DTS-HD stream being 2.0, 5.1, or 7.1. I've had great success with converting my Atmos 2D titles into dts-hd 7.1 and adding it to 3D HSBS or HOU. Like I mentioned before, I did this with my Lego Batman combo set. I took the Atmos from the 2d, convert it to dts-hd 7.1. convert the 3D to HSBS. Take out the 5.1 from the 3D HSBS. Dropped in the 7.1 and it worked gloriously. The Atmos just kept freezing up on my Sony BD player as well, so had to find a better way to play it.

Not sure if the forum allows links. But if you search "dts-hd encoder" a video will come up of YT and a few other sites to show some info. It is an older program. Like from the last decade! I don't know why they stopped. But it still works, at least for me. The whole program is called dts-hd encoder suite. It's was originally pretty pricy. But I was lucky, my brother works for a sound studio in Santa Monica and, the studio had no more need for it and sold me their copy.

You know this would be a lot easier if DVDFAB would develop their software to be able to add an HD-Audio stream to existing BD disc backup. But the reason why they and others haven't done so is probably not as easy as it sounds.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dts-dts-hd-master-audio-suite

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

ok so its impossible for a common mortal...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All.

It's a fairly simple process to embed the AC3 (Dolby Digital) in to the TrueHD (Atmos) audio file.

1. Rip the Blu ray to a MKV using MakeMKV.
    2. Extract the Video & TrueHD Audio files from the MKV using MKVCleaver. When completed the extracted video will have a .264 extention & the audio will have a .truehd extention.
    3. Drag & drop the extracted audio in to eac3to. The details of the file will show in the INFO window. It should say something like: TrueHD (Atmos), 7.1 channels, 48kHz.
    Under the INFO window is 'TRACK INPUT & OUTPUT FORMAT'. The input drop down will auto select to TrueHD. Now you need to change the output drop down to: thd+ac3 and then click ADD. In the COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS window below will now display .. %_.thd+ac3. Now click RUNCL at the bottom. (Run Command Line). A Command prompt window will now open and run the process. Takes 5 to 10 mins. This will create the new audio file with the embedded AC3.
    4. Drag and drop the extracted video & the NEW audio file in to TSMuxer. PLEASE NOTE: Look at the FPS of the video file. (under General Track Options). If it shows as 9000 then you need to check the box and change it to 24000/1001. Now choose your output as .m2ts and click Start Muxing.
    Last edited by Ian; 1st Aug 2019 at 05:44.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hi All.

It's a fairly simple process to embed the AC3 (Dolby Digital) in to the TrueHD (Atmos) audio file.

2. Extract the Video & TrueHD Audio files from the MKV using MKVCleaver. When completed the extracted video will have a .264 extention & the audio will have a .truehd extention.
    3. Drag & drop the extracted audio in to eac3to. The details of the file will show in the INFO window. It should say something like: TrueHD (Atmos), 7.1 channels, 48kHz.
    Under the INFO window is 'TRACK INPUT & OUTPUT FORMAT'. The input drop down will auto select to TrueHD. Now you need to change the output drop down to: thd+ac3 and then click ADD. In the COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS window below will now display .. %_.thd+ac3. Now click RUNCL at the bottom. (Run Command Line). A Command prompt window will now open and run the process. Takes 5 to 10 mins. This will create the new audio file with the embedded AC3.
    4. Drag and drop the extracted video & the NEW audio file in to TSMuxer. PLEASE NOTE: Look at the FPS of the video file. (under General Track Options). If it shows as 9000 then you need to check the box and change it to 24000/1001. Now choose your output as .m2ts and click Start Muxing.
    the point of this thread its to have an .iso as final file, not .m2ts
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hi All.

Doesn't MakeMKV already embed the AC3 core into the TrueHD (i.e. doesn't remove it like mkvmerge does)? Your workflow looks more complicated than it needs to be.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hi All.

Point #3 is where it's going wrong, as mentioned earlier in the thread:

Remapping channels...

I'm having the same issue, I've made a full disc (UHD) back up using MakeMKV, then MKVCleaver to extract the video and the TrueHD/Atmos file, going into UsEac3To and doing exactly what you've typed to get the Input=TrueHD and Output=thd+ac3 and then "Add" so it shows on the CL, then press RUNCL and the same errors appear as what is being described as above, lossless check failed errors.
    Quote Quote