VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have to edit a large amount of video collected over the years that I’ve finally gotten around to editing. Many "sections" of the clips will require flipping the video 180* or brightening a too dark image. So these filters(rotate or image adjust) will need to be applied to short sections of longer clips. I've usually used many of the free tools available, but with the amount of editing ahead of me I'm considering purchasing and editing suite.

Does anyone know of a good video editing software that will allow me to apply these filters to only sections of a timeline in this manner? I've found it difficult to determine this specific feature from the available documentation pre-purchase. Or will I just be better off using the free tools to split the clips into sections, edit, and then rejoin?

Thank You for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I think you can use for this any NLE software, fliping or brightnes darknes on part of video or filters on parts of audio is their primaly purpose.
    You can check NLE software in software section. For Pro you will have to pay money, not cheap, but there is lot of free alternatives. I suggest to try Kdenlive, but you will have to properly install, read how on their homepage, and spend some time to learn how to. Principles are very similar in these types of programs. If you dont need something special offering in PRO apps, i would go with free alternatives.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The main difference between Pro and basic is "Compositing" tools. If you don't need them, go for the $100 package.
    Last edited by budwzr; 18th Nov 2018 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you both for the replies. Yes, I don't need the compositing tools. It's been probably over a decade since I bought a package, but I wouldn't mind paying to for ease of use considering the amount of editing I have to do. As far as I can tell Adobe is now sold as a service, so I'd like to steer clear of that. Can either of you recommend a "basic" package as an alternative that will do what I want? It looks like Pinnacle, Corel, Vegas, and Cyberlink are all still around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    iam not sure easy of use is what you pay for. Probably easier to manage not such complex free program. Learning curve is very similar. If i were you i would try some free for first. Paid program are usualy aimed to profi users and their needs. So for TVs and others like that. Not sure what you expecting from it. You will have to learn anyway. And basics seems to me will be everywhere same. Not sure if there is in pro (paid) you got your final render from that soft, but best way seems to me export lossless and final encode do in some special program. For example ffmpeg or so.
    If you are rich enough and 100USD is nothing for you, no problem. But i think similar can be done for free.

Also noticed that subscription (pay each month or year) is more and more popular, what is sad.

Bernix
    Quote Quote