VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had a DVD consisting of a pre-menu clip, a motion menu, and a 4:2:2 main video, because sometimes I'm an idiot.

When I put it in my Oppo 203, it didn't play the pre-menu sequence at first. Just sat there with a black screen, and the front display all zeroes. None of the buttons worked except the power button on the front of the machine. I think I switched it off, switched it back on again and it played through to the menu but obviously didn't play the main video.

Took it out to my Pioneer DV-490V, because that'll play any damn thing, and it played fine first time through to the menu and failed at the main video.

Tried PowerDVD, and got the same result. Looked at MediaInfo, banged by head on the desk, and re-encoded the main video as 4:2:0.

Put the new disc in the Oppo....same. F*(&*ing. Result. Except this time no amount of rebooting or ejecting or anything else will get it to play, I get either a black screen with all zeroes on the front display or a black screen with "HOME SCREEN" on the front display.

Put it in the Pioneer, it all works just fine.

Put it in my computer and tried PowerDVD, and it boots straight to the menu without playing the pre-menu clip.

The main video was HCEnc, and I botched the subsampling setting the first time obviously, but the menu and premenu I just spat out of Premiere with AME because who really cares. MPEG2-DVD preset, pretty much (quality bump to 5, CBR 9Mbps because the whole thing only fills 85% of a disc). They both have the exact same settings so I'm not sure why the menu would work if the premenu doesn't, as happens on PowerDVD at the moment. I'm lazy so the audio is WAV files dropped into Encore, but that's my usual process so I know it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just a guess but i'd venture you've exceeded the total max bitrate for dvds using 9mbps vid plus 1.5mbps audio. Total bitrate including video, audio and subs can be max 10.08 Mbit/s (10080 Kbit/s)
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The VOB for the premenu sequence reports a bitrate of 9305 kb/s, 9000kb/s video and 192kb/s audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    just a guess but i'd venture you've exceeded the total max bitrate for dvds using 9mbps vid plus 1.5mbps audio. Total bitrate including video, audio and subs can be max 10.08 Mbit/s (10080 Kbit/s)
    One thing I guess I overlooked is that Encore autotranscodes WAV to 192kbps AC3...I'm assuming your numbers didn't account for that.
    Quote Quote