VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

What is better lossy DTS Core @ 1509 Kbps or lossy AAC @ 700-1000 Kbps converted from lossless DTS-HD MA?

Thanks!
    Last edited by vash1; 13th Nov 2018 at 02:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. AAC may deliver higher (closer to original) quality and functionality (due supported number of channels and higher sampling rates) - DTS is limited to 5.1 48k audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DTS was designed around low compression efficiency, which was overcome by simply having a lot more bandwidth used with it. AAC-LC (Apple or Nero) on the other hand has some of the best efficiency. 448k AAC-LC should be more than enough for 5.1 Surround.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks, pandy and KarMa for the valuable info!

Especially it was very useful to know that DTS was designed around low compression efficiency

Overall, AAC spectrogram @ 900 Kbps converted from lossless DTS-HD MA, looks much sweeter to me than DTS Core @ 1509 Kbps.

I just wasn't quite sure if converting to AAC will not add some additional artifacts and sounds worse than plain DTS Core.

So I'll stick with AAC.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AAC 5.1 900 Kbps.png
Views:	781
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	47171  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DTS Core 5.1 1509 Kbps.png
Views:	583
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	47172  

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vash1 View Post
    Thanks, pandy and KarMa for the valuable info!

Especially it was very useful to know that DTS was designed around low compression efficiency

Overall, AAC spectrogram @ 900 Kbps converted from lossless DTS-HD MA, looks much sweeter to me than DTS Core @ 1509 Kbps.

I just wasn't quite sure if converting to AAC will not add some additional artifacts and sounds worse than plain DTS Core.

So I'll stick with AAC.
    For me more important benefit from AAC use is possibility to keep more than 5.1 configuration and also sampling rate can be higher - with such high bitrate AAC should be "acoustically transparent".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    For me more important benefit from AAC use is possibility to keep more than 5.1 configuration

Yeah, keeping 7.1 channels is a huge advantage of AAC for me as well. I'm actively using this where possible.
    Quote Quote