VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to rip CC from an NTSC DVD, but I'm having issues. I've done it before in the past with CCExtractor and VSRip, but this DVD won't work.

When I open the VOB in VLC, I have to select "Closed captions 3" for the CC to show up. When I try to extract the CC using CCExtractor, it acts as if no CC is there and leaves me with a 0KB SRT file. VSRip creates 4 SRT files, but they are all garbled. I just need a working SRT file of the CC that isn't garbled. MediaInfo:
    Code:
    ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)-CC3
    Format                                   : EIA-608
    Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
    Duration                                 : 11 min 47 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
    CaptionServiceName                       : CC3
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CC Extractor has settings on the Decoders tab that allow choosing different combinations of CC fields and CCchannels. Did you try changing them?

I'm not sure what combinations to use for "Closed captions 3".

I almost forgot... eac3to is another option. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/341312-How-to-extract-Close-Captions-(EIA-608)-fro...ts#post2125410
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Nov 2018 at 15:40.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    CC Extractor has settings on the Decoders tab that allow choosing different combinations of CC fields and CCchannels. Did you try changing them?

I'm not sure what combinations to use for "Closed captions 3".

I almost forgot... eac3to is another option. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/341312-How-to-extract-Close-Captions-(EIA-608)-fro...ts#post2125410
    eac3to gave me an SRT, but that was also glitched up, but not the the extent of the VSRip one. Here it is:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to extract the captions directly from VOBs or did you rip the DVD to another type of file, such as mpg?

[Edit]Also, these look like they might be roll up closed captions. This type of captioning is displayed as multiple lines where older lines move up as each new line is added at the bottom. That type of closed captioning style is more difficult to render in SRT format.

CCExtractor provides a setting to convert roll up closed captions to the standard style (although they may still require some hand editing) but i don't know if the other programs provide a similar feature.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Nov 2018 at 18:01.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote