VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I am newbie in encoding world...

I recorded a channel, and I got a .TS file.

I would like to convert it in .MKV with a very good quality, but not too long encoding.

For example, if I have one hour for my .TS video, I don't want to convert it in five hour.

Is it possible ?

And what is the best way to do this please ?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Best quality is re-wrap it with mkvtoolnix / mkvmerge. Same quality as original , very fast. You're just changing the container
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Best quality is re-wrap it with mkvtoolnix / mkvmerge. Same quality as original , very fast. You're just changing the container
    Thank you very much.

But is there a way to convert it is a smaller size without losing quality (h264 or h265) ?

Because my ts file is 4.98Go.

The mkv file who made with mkvtoolnix is 4.76Go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Thomas91 View Post

But is there a way to convert it is a smaller size without losing quality (h264 or h265) ?

Because my ts file is 4.98Go.

The mkv file who made with mkvtoolnix is 4.76Go.
    No, there will be some quality loss if you reduce the filesize - because you will be re-encoding it with lossy compression. Whether or not you can "see" the quality loss is another discussion

Also, it will take much longer to re-encode compared to just stream copying with mkvtoolnix

You might use something like handbrake, staxrip, megui , hybrid - those are some popular GUI's
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    It is too difficult for me.

But thank you
    Quote Quote