VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using a Sony PCM-D100 audio recorder to capture good sound from a local choir when I video their concerts. It vastly outperforms my camcorder's onboard or shotgun mic.

However, the audio recorder, by default, creates a new 2 GB file after each 30-minute mark. Thus, recording an hourlong concert results in 2 files.

I simply put the WAV files from the recorder on a new audio track in Final Cut Pro, one after the other. But of course, the 30-minute breaks always seem to occur in the middle of songs - never during applause or introductions, lol.

Today, I have exported a song that uses the end of WAV file 1 and the beginning of WAV file 2 - and there is a serious pop in the middle of it, right where the two files join together.

I have checked, and there is no break on the timeline between the two files (i.e., no frame gaps), and the first file is at the very end, while the second is at the very beginning. (None of the files are omitted.) But I hear a popping sound between the files, both in FCP and in the exported video. Even in the exported video's audio track, though, there is nothing in the waveform that indicates the pop - it's weird.

Is there any way to fix this?

Jen
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, thanks so much for the reference.

An answer turned out to be much simpler though - I just laid the files end to end in Soundtrack instead of FCP and resaved as a new file. Bingo: no pop between the files. Why Soundtrack could do this and FCP couldn't, when they're both part of the same editing package, is beyond me!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just laying them end to end doesn't guarantee no popping.
    Popping happens when you have a large discontinuity in the waveform, which can happen naturally with true pops, but also happens when an ending waveform ends with trending-negative samples and is butt-joined to the starting waveform which begins with trending-positive samples (or vice-versa). This automatically results in abrupt waveform discontinuity/reversal. A pop.

Use and audio editor or DAW/NLE and cross-fade your transitions.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Competent editing apps like Audition will automatically apply a tiny crossfade between butted clips. It also helps to make sure each clip begins and ends on a zero wave crossing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the details. I'm guessing that Soundtrack, then, applied that automatic tiny crossfade, whereas FCP didn't/couldn't. I tried it with two more of my audio recorder's files and it worked perfectly, so that's definitely a technique to remember going forward. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote