VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm building a new PC but the dual channel DDR4 RAM (bought as 2 x 8GB stick kit) will only operate in single channel mode and at a reduced speed. I can't try the RAM in another system because my other PCs don't take DDR4 memory. I need to figure out whether something is wrong with the RAM or with the motherboard so I can return the defective part. I suspect the motherboard is the problem but I need to check with others who have more experience with building PCs to confirm.

CPU: Coffee Lake i5-8400
    Motherboard: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/B360/C7B360-CB-MW.cfm
    RAM Kit: CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0123ZC44Y

The RAM slots are arranged A1 A2 B1 B2 with A1 located next to the CPU. If RAM is installed in the preferred slots for dual channel mode (A1 and B1) the system won't boot. If a single stick of RAM is installed in slot A1, the preferred slot for a single stick, the system won't boot. In fact the system only boots when a single stick (either one) is installed in slot B1 or when both sticks are installed in slots B1 and B2.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Supermicro list only micron or hynix memory on their site, That doesn't necessarily mean that your memory won't work but sinds it is fairly new it might be the case?

A single module in slot A1 should work if the used module is compatible with this motherboard.

It can be that your processor is incompatible with this memory? The memory controller is inside the processor (afaik) But it is more likely that the motherboard/memory combo is at fault.

I would suggest to try other memory preferable with brands or types that supermicro suggests
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HWiNFO 64 reports that the SDRAM in both sticks was manufactured by SK Hynix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure that the ram is firmly seated in the slot.
    Did you try resetting the BIOS ??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Make sure that the ram is firmly seated in the slot.
    Did you try resetting the BIOS ??
    The RAM was firmly seated and each preferred configuration was tested multiple times.

By "resetting the BIOS" do you mean returning everything to default settings, or do you mean that I should reset CMOS?

FWIW I tested the RAM configurations first with the original BIOS version, then updated the BIOS to the later version on the website and tried it again. It made no difference.

[Edit] I just reset CMOS by connecting the pins used for CMOS reset. It made no difference.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Nov 2018 at 16:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You Amazon link actually took me to the UK site.

Not very techie minded when it comes to memory etc. I guess I was lucky when I built this (not that I did not have some issues) but down the page it lists the following for compatability:

Compatibility Intel 100 Series,Intel 200 Series,Intel 300 Series,Intel X299
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if dbb3 is right the ram isn't supported on that 360 chipset board. if it were me i'd get rid of the board, it looks like a 90's m.b. with cheap oil filled caps.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if dbb3 is right the ram isn't supported on that 360 chipset board. if it were me i'd get rid of the board, it looks like a 90's m.b. with cheap oil filled caps.
    Unless I'm reading DB83's post, Corsair's product page and Amazon's US product page incorrectly, my RAM was stated to be compatible with Intel 300 Series motherboards. The B360 chip is one of the Intel 300 series chips.

At $139.99 it isn't super cheap, and it has more solid caps than electrolytic caps. Most of the MATX boards I looked at have some electrolytic caps.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Nov 2018 at 21:48.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same issues with a generic mb,bought an asus mb and both rams worked in dual channel mode.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I had the same issues with a generic mb,bought an asus mb and both rams worked in dual channel mode.
    Supermicro is an established company and fairly well-known for its server boards. Amazon and several other big companies use them. (There was an industrial espionage tale in the news recently involving Supermicro server motherboards.) Their desktop boards aren't as well-known, but have been available at Newegg for a few years. (I don't think I need to worry about spy chips on a desktop board.)

So, it appears that going by the available manufacturer specs for the RAM and motherboard, the Corsair memory kit I bought should be compatible.

Since installed RAM functions in single channel mode in the B1 and B2 slots, which is what one would expect for compatible RAM when it is installed there, my suspicion is that there is a manufacturing defect in the A1 slot which prevents installed RAM from being detected. (Instead of simply saying the system won't boot for most configurations in my initial post, maybe I should have added that the beep codes also indicate no RAM installed.)

I'll look into my options to return or RMA my motherboard. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a bios update for that mb?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Is there a bios update for that mb?
    Yes. I had already installed it before asking for help but it made no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had something similar happen on my old AMD FX system. The board had 2 slots for DDR3 and both were populated (2GB x 2)
    One day I noticed the PC seemed particularly sluggish; According to Windows 4GB were installed but only 2 GB were available.

And the PC Setup reported single channel mode. What eventually fixed it was some combination of cleaning the memory contacts
    with a pencil eraser, compressed air to blow out the slots and get any residual dust from the sticks.
    I also reseated the main power connector to the board pulled the battery and used the cmos clear jumper.
    it's been OK ever since
    Have you tried it with the board out of the case?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I had something similar happen on my old AMD FX system. The board had 2 slots for DDR3 and both were populated (2GB x 2)
    One day I noticed the PC seemed particularly sluggish; According to Windows 4GB were installed but only 2 GB were available.

And the PC Setup reported single channel mode. What eventually fixed it was some combination of cleaning the memory contacts
    with a pencil eraser, compressed air to blow out the slots and get any residual dust from the sticks.
    I also reseated the main power connector to the board pulled the battery and used the cmos clear jumper.
    it's been OK ever since
    This is a new build and I dusted the inside of the case before I started. The RAM is new and the contacts look nice and shiny. I'll try compressed air on the DIMM slots.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

it's been OK ever since
    This is a new build and I dusted the inside of the case before I started. The RAM is new and the contacts look nice and shiny. I'll try compressed air on the DIMM slots.
    if you still can't get the ram sticks to work, you might try setting the RAM voltage to auto
    as stated in the user review section. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0123ZC44Y
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you still can't get the ram sticks to work, you might try setting the RAM voltage to auto
    as stated in the user review section. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0123ZC44Y
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't try it. There are no RAM voltage settings available, probably because the Intel B360 chip doesn't support overclocking.

Blowing out the A1 and A2 slots with a can of compressed air didn't change anything.

I think that I need to give up on the idea of fixing the problem and return this board to Newegg.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I solved the mystery of why my RAM doesn't work. I received permission to RMA the motherboard, but when I removed the CPU to get the motherboard ready to ship, I discovered the CPU socket had a bent pin. Obviously, I can't return the motherboard now.

There are some videos around demonstrating how I might be able to fix the pin and avoid the need to buy a new motherboard. Wish me luck.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to hear. Hopefully it didn't damage the CPU. I've used a very tiny hollow metal tube that would just fit over the pin, like a blunt hypodermic needle and 'eased' CPU pins back into alignment. Never tried on a MB socket pin, but should be similar.
    Pliers or small screwdriver blades or similar are a bad idea, though. Hopefully it isn't bent too bad and you can restore it.

Good luck. Let us know the results.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing that can be used is a mechanical pencil. Once you get the lead out the little hole should work
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that explains a lot why the ram worked in the B sockets but not A ones.

Good luck with the repair, i haven't issued this problem myself but it is a very delicate operation.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have given up on pin repair. I don't seem to have have the fine motor skills required. The operation is indeed extremely delicate because the pins are tiny and and delicate. Mechanical pencils, even ones with ultra-fine lead would be of no use. I am going to order a new motherboard, probably the same model. It met the SGX requirement imposed by Cyberlink Advisor for UHD Blu-ray playback (not easy find) and has all the other features that I want.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have given up on pin repair. I don't seem to have have the fine motor skills required. The operation is indeed extremely delicate because the pins are tiny and and delicate. Mechanical pencils, even ones with ultra-fine lead would be of no use. I am going to order a new motherboard, probably the same model. It met the SGX requirement imposed by Cyberlink Advisor for UHD Blu-ray playback (not easy find) and has all the other features that I want.
    Try taking the board to a computer repair shop and see if
    They can fix it or replace it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to ask how that pin got bent in the first place.

I acknowledge that an up-do-date CPU/mb has many pins which are really close. But if one suspected any resistance when attaching the CPU to the MB then the warning signs should be there that something was not right. If memory serves, a cpu should simply 'drop' on to the pins with no assistance.

Personally I would still send that mb back since and badly constructed board failing quality control should not be your financial loss.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try taking the board to a computer repair shop and see if
    They can fix it or replace it.
    The only guaranteed fix is to replace the entire socket, but that procedure has to be performed by the manufacturer and it isn't cheap. Buying a new motherboard will probably cost less unless the motherboard is a top-tier product.

Pin-fixing demonstration where the host discusses this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why are you reluctant to rma it? if you had dropped something on the socket there would be multiple pins bent in all directions. one pin sounds more like a manufacturing problem. i'd have no problem sending it back for replacement.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I have to ask how that pin got bent in the first place.

I acknowledge that an up-do-date CPU/mb has many pins which are really close. But if one suspected any resistance when attaching the CPU to the MB then the warning signs should be there that something was not right. If memory serves, a cpu should simply 'drop' on to the pins with no assistance.

Personally I would still send that mb back since and badly constructed board failing quality control should not be your financial loss.
    After installing the CPU cooler, I found I needed to re-position it. When I started to remove the CPU to clean off Intel's pre-applied thermal paste, it slipped out of my fingers. That's when the damage might have occurred, but I didn't notice it then. It wasn't easy to see unless the light was coming from the right angle, and yes, it could have been there all along.

However, it doesn't matter. Newegg's return policy is clear. Any returned motherboard that arrives with bent pins will be mailed back to the buyer.

Now that I tried to fix the problem, it is easier to see.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Nov 2018 at 22:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That returns policy sucks.

Do they check every single mb for a visible defect before they ship ?

They are actually saying even if the product was faulty at that point the error is with the end user. Surely they do not carry the cost and should be able to return to the mfr

Maybe, of course, that they have a history of end-users screwing up an installation. Even so good business practice dictates that the customer is always right. Are you likely to shop there again in such an evoirement ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do they check every single mb for a visible defect before they ship ?
    Probably not.

Maybe, of course, that they have a history of end-users screwing up an installation.
    I don't doubt that lots of users screw up an installation, especially first-timers.

Even so good business practice dictates that the customer is always right.
    That philosophy is uncommon in the USA retail sector today. It became too costly because too many people abused the privilege.

Are you likely to shop there again in such an evoirement ?
    Yes. I must order online. There is no store like a Fry's or Microcenter within 100 miles of me. In this respect Newegg is no worse than most other similar retailers, and they carry a very extensive selection of computer parts.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yesterday I received the new C7B360-CB-MW that I ordered as a replacement. I was lucky to get it. Newegg only had one in stock, and it now looks like they have discontinued this motherboard. The new motherboard is working correctly so far. I hope that continues. I haven't had a chance to try everything yet.

As a side note, since the motherboard has just 2 video connections, HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2 with HDCP 2.2, I bought a Monoprice DisplayPort 1.2a to 4K at 60Hz HDMI Active HDR Adapter #33125 to see if I could connect the new PC to my HDMI 2.0 monitor at 3840 x 2160 @60Hz. The adapter seems to be doing its job, with the latest Intel UHD 630 Graphics drivers installed . The connection even passed Cyberlink's Ultra-HD Blu-ray Advisors's requirements. Sometime next year maybe I can get a UHD Blu-ray drive and Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra to complete this build.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2018 at 12:13. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote