VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, hoping I can get a little help here. It’s a bit of a read but I’m attempting to list everything I know and the troubleshooting I have done to this point. Hopefully someone has an idea! I can't find a solution.

The problem:
    I recently had two tvs and a projector hooked up, all with 2 HDMI cables running to them and all HDMI cables are running through the wall/floor/ceiling. I’ve tested all the connections and every cable seems to be working aside from 1 Twisted Veins cable, and this cable will not work on either of my Vizio TVs. A signal is detected on the PC end, I know the cable works, I know the PC port works, I know the HDMI ports on the TV work so I am completely stumped on what is keeping the connection from working.

The Equipment:
    TV 1
    • Model: Vizio E75-F1
    • Firmware Version: 1.0.21.1
    • Cast Version: 1.27.96538
    • HDMI Cable A: Monoprice 50’ 4K High Speed Cable – Product #21567
    • HDMI Cable B: Twited Veins 50’ HDMI Cable (The Issue Cable)
    TV 2
    • Model: Vizio E75-F1
    • Firmware Version: 1.0.21.1
    • Cast Version: 1.27.96538
    • HDMI Cable A: Monoprice 50’ 4K High Speed Cable – Product #21567
    • HDMI Cable B: Random 50’ HDMI Cable I had on hand – not sure of specs.
    Projector
    • Model: Optoma W416 WXGA 3D DLP Business Projector
    • HDMI Cable A: Twited Veins 50’ HDMI Cable
    • HDMI Cable B: Twited Veins 50’ HDMI Cable
    Source: Currently Using an HP ZBook 15 G4 to test the cables – wont be the final source but works for easy testing.
    Test Screen: ASUS VE248Q

Troubleshooting Done:
    I have done a myriad of things trying to get this cable to work. I’ll do my best to explain them.

Reasons I don’t think it is the source (laptop) – All other cables work from the laptop port to their display without issue. The laptop even detects the TwistedVeins HDMI Cable. I get an audio queue from the connection, the display settings page detects a second screen. I have attempted to duplicate screens, extend screens, and just have the Vizio TV as the only display. I’ve done this in 4k, 1080 and minimum resolutions. The vizio still reads as No-Signal. I’ve also attempted using a different source computer and the results are the same.

Reasons I don’t think it’s the cable. I have two other twisted veins cables of the same length running to the projector and both of these work. I set up a test screen by the Vizio and plugged the troubled HDMI cable into that and I got a signal on that screen, so I know the cable didn’t get damaged running through the wall. It works, just not on the Vizio. And I don’t think it is because the cable isn’t high grade enough because it’s a brand new cable and the old random cable I had works just fine.

Reasons I don’t think it’s the Vizio TV. Since I have another cable running to the TV I have been able to test all the ports and they all get a signal so I know the ports aren’t broken. I’ve updated the firmware. Everything about the TV seem to function aside from getting a signal from this one specific cable. I’ve also tried this fix with no luck.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cable it's self could have a short inside
    Some place. Look in both ends of the cable to see if
    Any of the little metal prongs are bent and causing
    A short out.

Also try switching to different HDMI settings and see if
    Any of those work. Some equipment such as computers
    & Game consoles have a optimal resolution setting.

With the problem cable hooked up to the TV try
    Doing a factory reset on the TV and see if you can get
    A signal.
    Last edited by october262; 8th Nov 2018 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    The cable it's self could have a short inside
    Some place. Look in both ends of the cable to see if
    Any of the little metal prongs are bent and causing
    A short out.

Also try switching to different HDMI settings and see if
    Any of those work. Some equipment such as computers
    & Game consoles have a optimal resolution setting.

With the problem cable hooked up to the TV try
    Doing a factory reset on the TV and see if you can get
    A signal.
    First, sorry for the delay, spam filter blocked the notification. Thank you for the input here.

The cable seems to be in tact, no damage to the connectors. The cable works fine when plugged from the same source into a different display. The working display is much smaller (23" compared to 70") and I don't believe that would have any impact but it works and the other one does not.

I've attempted using every HDMI port, as well. I've switched through the different picture modes on the TV trying to get a picture, as well as attempting max, min, and typical (1080) resolution outputs from the computer with no luck.

I tried resetting the television to factory defaults with the source plugged in and a feed running (the display settings window on the source indicated two screens were in use) but I never received a picture. I then ran a system update on the TV with the connection running but no luck.

As of now, I don't have a clue what could be the issue, I've reached out to Vizio in hopes maybe they'd have an idea as well. Thank you though!
    Quote Quote  
  4. 50 feet is pretty long for an HDMI cable. The signal is significantly distorted by the time it gets to the end. Some devices are better than others at dealing with that distortion. You may need to run shorter cables with repeaters. Or twisted pair or fiber with converters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just re-read your initial post and am still not entirely clear on how everything is connected. However, another possibility is that either your source or your switching device (if you are going through a home theater) won't allow more than one display to be turned on at once. Also, some sources require devices that will handshake in a certain way. For instance, I have a 25 foot HDMI that I run to a projector that I set up on a stand in our family room. It works fine. However, if I take that same cable and attempt to capture from it using my Hauppauge capture device, I get nothing. However, there are other connections that will permit me to capture via HDMI, not just from that cable that is connected to a "Monitor 2" output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    jagabo is on the correct track. not only is the audio/video data distorted (requiring more aggressive error correction), but the handshake data is too. That's likely where it is falling down. It is not recommended to use an HDMI cable longer than ~30', unless it incorporates active signal enhancement & reconstruction, such as the Redmere Active EQ chip. Even then, you shouldn't go above ~100'. If you wanted to do it proper and ensure good signalling regardless, go with HDBaseT extenders. As it is, you're just lucking out when it does work.

BTW, Monoprice cables are usually crap. And I cannot even vouch for Twisted Veins as I have never heard of that vendor. When we use Active HDMI cables (and not extenders), we use something like this: "https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1019552-REG/pearstone_hda_a475_active_hdmi_with_redmere.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfDy387U3gIVC77ACh2DYAYjEA QYASABEgKvIvD_BwE&smp=Y".

johnmeyer is also correct. HDMI is very finnicky about order of startup.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Twisted Veins is an inexpensive brand of HDMI cables sold on Amazon. I bought some and they were adequate but they were short cables, only 3 feet long. I wouldn't trust them for long cable runs.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could hdmi versions be the problem here?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    50 feet is pretty long for an HDMI cable....
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I just re-read your initial post .....
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    jagabo is on the correct track....
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    Could hdmi versions be the problem here?
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Twisted Veins is an inexpensive brand of HDMI cables sold on Amazon....
    TwistedVeins was recommended to me as they had success in the past with lengthy runs,so that what I went with. They advertised 4k but when I received them I found 4k not to be possible because they were version 1.4. They should however be able to do 1080p and they can, just not with the desired output TV. Other screens, for some reason, have no issue.

I know they distance is far, which is why I ended up using monoprice cables that passed some third party testing for my run and they are working out well so far. I was running these TwistedVein cables as a backup pretty much since I had them on hand. The fact they worked in some instances at this length and not at others was something I found puzzling but it sounds more and more like its just a random outcome at such a long run. I'm leaning towards thinking the size of the output device has something to do with it, though everything I know tells me this can't be the case, it just seems to be the only oddity of the situation left.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Anything longer than 5m (15 ft) may officially not work - every cable above this is not covered by HDMI standard - it is purely to cable manufacturer to provide parameters required by HDMI.
    Every cable has own capacity and every meter of cable increase this capacity - at some point HDMI transmitter/receiver may be unable to deal witch such capacity (source must be able to inject higher current and receiver if current is insufficient may be not able to correctly recognize 0 and 1) - almost for sure some HDMI equipment may not work and you can't blame anyone - i bet that vendor will be able to prove that it works with shorter cable... You should try (without purchase if possible) some active cable or HDMI extender/equalizer.

Another source of problems is your power supply network - are you able to verify your configuration where HDMI source and HDMI sink are powered from same point (power bar? power receptacle?) - In US i know there is tricky power grid wiring where centre tap of power transformer is used as return and you have two 120V phases that combined can give 230V - You may have imbalance in loading of those 120V phases and some equalization current may try to flow over HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Blue Jeans Cable has some good HDMI compliance information, particularly in regard to the 15-foot myth. The bottom line is that anything past 45 feet is definitely a crapshoot; as noted above, performance may vary depending on the capabilities of the receiving device.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Anything longer than 5m (15 ft) may officially not work - every cable above this is not covered by HDMI standard - it is purely to cable manufacturer to provide parameters required by HDMI.
    Every cable has own capacity and every meter of cable increase this capacity - at some point HDMI transmitter/receiver may be unable to deal witch such capacity (source must be able to inject higher current and receiver if current is insufficient may be not able to correctly recognize 0 and 1) - almost for sure some HDMI equipment may not work and you can't blame anyone - i bet that vendor will be able to prove that it works with shorter cable... You should try (without purchase if possible) some active cable or HDMI extender/equalizer.

Another source of problems is your power supply network - are you able to verify your configuration where HDMI source and HDMI sink are powered from same point (power bar? power receptacle?) - In US i know there is tricky power grid wiring where centre tap of power transformer is used as return and you have two 120V phases that combined can give 230V - You may have imbalance in loading of those 120V phases and some equalization current may try to flow over HDMI cable.
    I have the laptop/source on one power supply and the TV/Receiver on another. If I understand correctly, this should avoid the latter issue your stating here?

As for the initial part, that is possibly a solid reasoning to what is going on here. I guess my main motivator here is understanding the why. If this cable works exactly as is to other receivers then why wouldn't it to this TV. The only difference between these screens and other ones that worked is the size of the screen. Perhaps you're onto something with the power dwindling over an extended period that would cause the signal to be too weak to show up on a 70" screen but not weak enough that it couldn't show on a 28" screen. Does this make sense? In which case you should be right with using an active extender because that would most likely mean the signal is reaching the destination but would just need a boost to fully display on the larger TVs.

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Blue Jeans Cable has some good HDMI compliance information, particularly in regard to the 15-foot myth. The bottom line is that anything past 45 feet is definitely a crapshoot; as noted above, performance may vary depending on the capabilities of the receiving device.
    Thank you, that was a good read! Essentially, its all completely random at my length. I knew this going in and that this was going to be a bit of a toss up. Having these extra cables on hand led to me running them just in case, which led me to finding this issue, and I guess now its just curiosity pushing me to try and find the reasoning behind the failure. The idea that the power may not be enough to let the computer fully display on a larger TV is a plausible one I'll explore.

Thanks for the input guys!
    Quote Quote