VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying a very simply fanedit, but every time I render the movie, some clips stutter while others don't.

What's causing the problem here? Is it frame rate?

My process is to use MakeMKV to rip the BluRay. To get Vegas to read the video track, I use Avidemux to produce an AVC file, formatted for PSP.

I recently noticed the file output (using the preset for PSP) results in a 100 fps file. I don't understand enough to not use the preset, so, I'm flying blind here.

I'm rendering using Sony's AVC format, with the 23.97 fps setting.

Or is the problem not frame rate?

I've been experimenting with moving my cut points just a frame or two in each direction, but I can't see a pattern of it effecting which clips stutter and which don't. Clips that I don't touch end up effected upon subsequent renders, sometimes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The normal way is to decompress to Mpeg2. Vegas is optimized for Mpeg2. You can even do Smart Rendering. Of course once you finish editing in Mpeg2 then you can render to higher compression format like mp4 or whatever.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Nov 2018 at 09:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for this. I didn't know that.

Any advice as to which software to use, to encode to Mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let Vegas transcode it. Set project to Mpeg2 before import and it will do automatically. Vegas Pro can do everything within the software. No need to use utility programs normally.

Wait, what PDR said down below is the holy grail if you can get it. See Post #6 below.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Nov 2018 at 20:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will definitely try this. Thanks so much for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's an AVC or MPEG2 blu-ray , you can use tsmuxer to put it into a transport stream and import it directly into vegas. No quality loss, much faster . The problem is vegas does not support mkv container . There are VC-1 blu-rays (less common), those will not be supported natively by vegas . You can use mediainfo on the mkv to determine what it is.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm growing more and more confident the problem is copy protection.

Although MakeMKV produces a file I can play on my PC (using VLC, MPC, etc.), I believe Vegas is detecting somehow that this was a copy-protected file, and thus rejecting the video stream coming from MakeMKV.

I've learned that finding a way to re-encode it (as I've been doing with Avidemux) solves the problem, however the challenge lay with re-encoding it in a manner that doesn't completely mess with the FPS. Using the PSP preset in Avidemux, Vegas now accepts the video file, but it's at this crazy 100fps, which I believe is contributing to my stutter problem upon editing/rendering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try "Match Media" Settings in "New Project Properties" dialog box too. Match Media sets the whole project to your source media. No, Vegas doesn't support MKV, so use Mp4 as final output.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Nov 2018 at 12:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by bbshopplf View Post
    I believe Vegas is detecting somehow that this was a copy-protected file, and thus rejecting the video stream coming from MakeMKV.
    You've already been advised that Vegas doesn't accept MKV input. It has nothing to do with copy protection. pdr has already suggested using TSMuxer on it before then opening it in Vegas. Reencoding it just degrades the video before you even begin work on it. Not a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP said it's just a FanEdit of a video game.

P.S. With all due respects.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Nov 2018 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I personally can’t load MKV files into Vegas so I convert them to .mp4 using Any Video Convertor. Maybe try converting the file to .mp4? If it’s only messing up after you render the video it might be as simple as changing something in Vegas’s setting.
    Quote Quote