VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have an mp4 file and 2 subtitles (English and Japanese). Resolution is 1920 x 1080 (video: AVC, audio: AAC LC, subtitles: PGS/PGS).
    I combined them all together into an mkv file using MkvToolNIX (64-bit) 28.2.0.

Then I used tsMuxer 2.6.12 to create AVCHD folder, and then I used ImgBurn to burn it into DVD.

I found that my Sony BDP-S360 is unable to play it.

The steps above had been tweaked and finalized based on what I found in the forum.
    What did I miss?

Please find below is the complete info on the AVCHD folder from:

Duration: 1 h 2 min
    1 video stream: AVC
    1 audio stream AAC/LC
    2 text streams: PGS/PGS

Video: 1920*1080 (16:9). at 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS, AVC (High@L4)(CABAC / 3 Ref Frames)

Audio: 44.1 kHz, 2 channels, AAC LC (ADTS)(Version 2).

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	112
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	47101  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the subs may have to be in .srt format is all i can guess. if the sony plays other .mkv files see what's in them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try putting the folder(name it AVCHD) on to a thumb drive and see if it plays on the 360,if it don't then somethings wrong with the video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. AAC audio is incompatible with "AVCHD" discs or any derivative . You can try converting to AC3 .

What is the video bitrate ? DVD media is limited to lower bitrates than BD media . <15Mb/s is safe, but some players might be able to get away with 24Mb/s
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could try using multiAVCHD it was ok back when avchd was a format being used. i still think pgs subs aren't allowed and pdr is correct aac also isn't allowed and i don't think multiavchd could use them as input either.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    the subs may have to be in .srt format is all i can guess. if the sony plays other .mkv files see what's in them.
    Yes, the original files are in srt. I run MediaInfo on the AVCHD folder.
    Could it be that when MkvToolNIX combined them into mkv it changed the format to PGS?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Try putting the folder(name it AVCHD) on to a thumb drive and see if it plays on the 360,if it don't then somethings wrong with the video.
    I will give it a try.

Btw, I thought the USB drive in S360 is only for BD Live thing, not for external storage (may it be HDD or USB thumb drive).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    AAC audio is incompatible with "AVCHD" discs or any derivative . You can try converting to AC3 .

What is the video bitrate ? DVD media is limited to lower bitrates than BD media . <15Mb/s is safe, but some players might be able to get away with 24Mb/s
    Any idea how to check the bitrate? Isn't it variable typically?
    Considering how small the file is (450 MB for 1 hour mkv), does it mean it has a low bitrate...perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you could try using multiAVCHD it was ok back when avchd was a format being used. i still think pgs subs aren't allowed and pdr is correct aac also isn't allowed and i don't think multiavchd could use them as input either.
    The original files are in srt. Perhaps MkvToolNIX converted them to PGS when I combined it with the video file.

Sounds like I need to split the audio and video, convert the audio to ac3, use original srt files, and combined them back all together (with multiAVCHD I assume?).
    Is that right?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Good news!!

I used multiAVCHD, I worked on original mp4 file and the 2 srt, multiAVCHD automatically encode the audio to ac3, and then I selected "AVCHD (strict)" mode, and voilaaa!!

Thanks a lot everybody!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nckhrs View Post
    The original files are in srt. Perhaps MkvToolNIX converted them to PGS when I combined it with the video file.
    MKVToolNix does not do such things.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by nckhrs View Post
    MKVToolNix does not do such things.
    I see. Sorry, my bad, perhaps tsMuxer did that.
    Anyway, it's the final form in AVCHD folder, and I think it's correct, right?

If I remember correctly, when I run MediaInfo on the AVCHD folder (strict) from multiAVCHD, I saw it's in PGS format as well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nckhrs View Post
    Hi,

I have an mp4 file and 2 subtitles (English and Japanese). Resolution is 1920 x 1080 (video: AVC, audio: AAC LC, subtitles: PGS/PGS).
    I combined them all together into an mkv file using MkvToolNIX (64-bit) 28.2.0.

Then I used tsMuxer 2.6.12 to create AVCHD folder, and then I used ImgBurn to burn it into DVD.

I found that my Sony BDP-S360 is unable to play it.

The steps above had been tweaked and finalized based on what I found in the forum.
    What did I miss?

Please find below is the complete info on the AVCHD folder from:

Duration: 1 h 2 min
    1 video stream: AVC
    1 audio stream AAC/LC
    2 text streams: PGS/PGS

Video: 1920*1080 (16:9). at 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS, AVC (High@L4)(CABAC / 3 Ref Frames)

Audio: 44.1 kHz, 2 channels, AAC LC (ADTS)(Version 2).

Thanks in advance.
    seems this player has issues playing AVCHD files - http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/blu-ray-players/49084/sony-bdp-s360-review
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just read the review and found that the Sony BDP-S360 isn't a very good player at all,my Sony BDP-S380 will play any mp4/mkv as long as its 4.1 profile or less in authored or data form on usb.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thanks for confirming it.
    I need to use "AVCHD (strict)" option in multiAVCHD, which is intended for Panasonic based on what multiAVCHD told me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I just read the review and found that the Sony BDP-S360 isn't a very good player at all,my Sony BDP-S380 will play any mp4/mkv as long as its 4.1 profile or less in authored or data form on usb.
    Hi John,

I agree. It's an old BD Player (9 years old) I got from a door prize. Should I need a new one in the near future I'll make sure I'll do a thorough research.
    Btw, if you choose "AVCHD (strict)" output in multiAVCHD (which was intended for Panasonic player), this player supports it.
    Quote Quote