VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have I Sony DCR-TRV12E/TRV14E camcorder. I would like to capture my DV movies on my PC. My computer does not have a Firewire connection.

Which solution is the best:

- using a capture device and hooking that up to your pc
    - connecting the camcorder directly to your pc using usb

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by GovertdeKat; 4th Nov 2018 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some devices are better than others but it's not the interface that makes the difference. But firewire capture is better than both because it's basically a file transfer -- the digital data on the tape is copied to the computer and put in a file. You end up with an exact copy of what's on the tape. Using an analog capture device incurs several losses of quality, converting digital to analog, transmission noise in the cables/connetors, then converting the analog video back to video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thank you. So no capture device. What is the best way to do it without a firewire connection? For now, I only see one solution: buying a PCI-card. Am i correct?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, you need a PCI or PCIe card, whatever is appropriate for your computer. Look for one with a Texas Instruments chip. Some of the others don't work for video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firewire to USB interface between cam and pc ?
    or add a Firewire PCI card into your pc, that would be better than USB.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ports-Firewire-IEEE1394-Controller-firewire/dp/B00312MXRM/ref=p...09D51DF4DPBJAX
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 23rd Nov 2018 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    Firewire to USB interface between cam and pc ?
    They work for hard drives but I've never hear of one that works for DV devices.
    Quote Quote