VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've several avi's and mp4 files that I want to convert to a specific size, codec etc.

Can I extract the data from an Avi and replicate everything from it to encode codec, size, frame rate etc to convert my non compatible avi's and mp4s?

If so how do I do it and which software do I need?

Thanks

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. What are your restrictions exactly ? Should the converted files be read by a standalone player of some kind ? If not, what should they be compatible with ?
    With MediaInfo you can quickly identify the parameters of a known working file, and then use those parameters in a good conversion software (often recommanded here are : Avidemux, MeGUI, StaxRip, XMediaRecode, Hybrid, Handbrake, AutoGK, VirtualDub, WinFF...). Or if it's a well-known standalone player, you could consult its documentation to see what formats and parameters it can read, run some tests until you find something satisfying. Be aware though that transcoding files which are already in a lossy format will result in a further quality loss, so you should keep the native AVI/MP4 for archiving if they're worth keeping (and if they're not keeping, one has to wonder if they're worth viewing at all, in this day and age where more content is created every single day than you could possibly absorb and assimilate in a lifetime). It would be less time-consuming to update the player's firmware if possible, or switch to a more recent player if not.
    To get more specific insights you'll need to provide more specific input...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Basically I've a Jamma board with video previews. I've managed to source the video previews from the internet.

I've got one file that I know works with the Jamma so I need to replicate that file in codec, resolution etc to get all of the other video previews to work.

I think the software is Linux based but that's all I know. I just thought I could extract the details of the working file and reencode the others so that they are the same.

Thanks
    Last edited by chrisino; 3rd Nov 2018 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. Here's the settings I want to replicate.

Thanks.

General
    Complete name : E:\Example.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 2.14 MiB
    Duration : 16 s 350 ms
    Overall bit rate : 1 097 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf51.12.1

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L1.3
    Format settings : 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
    Codec ID : H264
    Duration : 16 s 350 ms
    Bit rate : 1 090 kb/s
    Width : 480 pixels
    Height : 320 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 20.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.355
    Stream size : 2.12 MiB (99%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would try using VirtualDub2 with its included x264 8-bit encoder. Make frame size and frame rate the same as your sample. Then adjust the encoder settings to Profile:Baseline, Level:1.3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

See if that works. If not, you may need to set individual encoder settings like the GOP size (keyframe interval), number of b-frames, etc.
    Quote Quote