VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I use MeGUI to edit/encode and the resulting video has always been described by my media player as "1080p 50Hz". The last video I worked on had a frame rate of 15fps and the video produced by MeGUI is "1080p 59.94Hz" which causes my media player to stall for a second or two while it 'switches'.

The only reason I can think of for the 59.94 figure is the weird 15fps of the video. Could that be it? And is there a way to script it so that my edited video is "1080p 50Hz" like all the others? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1080p is the resolution of the signal from your media player. 50Hz or 59.94Hz is the rate at which the TV would be refreshing the picture (the player probably changes it). It doesn't necessarily relate to the frame rate, although normally the player would switch the TV to 50Hz for PAL (25fps) and 59.94Hz for NTSC (29.97fps), and I assume in this case the player is switching the TV to 59.94Hz when the frame rate is 15fps, because 4 x 15 = 60Hz. Forgetting the minor difference between 59.94Hz and 60Hz, it means each frame would display for 4 screen refreshes at 60Hz. At 50Hz, some frames would display for 4 screen refreshes and some would display for 3 screen refreshes. For such a low frame rate, you possibly won't see a difference, but in theory motion would look smoother at 59.94Hz than at 50Hz.

None of that's a bad thing. You could change the frame rate by adding something like ChangeFPS(25) to the Avisynth script, but that'd cause Avisynth to duplicate frames in an uneven pattern and you'd be encoding them that way. You could use ConvertFPS(25) but as well as duplicating frames to increase the frame rate, Avisynth would blend frames together and that might look worse. Or you could use something like FrameRateConverter to interpolate new frames and increase the frame rate. That'd probably look smoother, but it's pretty slow and would probably change the look of the video, which I assume is 15fps for a reason (if you're not using a script that's doing something it shouldn't to the frame rate). I'd just leave it as it is.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st Nov 2018 at 06:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello hello_hello and thanks for that very good explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Actually, you gave me an idea. I used ChangeFPS(30) which appears to have duplicated each frame - the playback of the encoded video is still the same (it was poor quality to begin with) and there's no longer any 'switching'.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That surprises me. If the player is switching the TV to 60Hz for 15fps video, I'm surprised it doesn't do the same for 30fps video. If anything, I'd have thought it'd be more likely to when the video is 30fps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I thought that too before I started. Shows you that it pays to just 'have a go' sometimes...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Does your player have options for choosing the output resolution and refresh rate? If it does, I'd assume it's in some sort of auto mode at the moment. You might be able to tell it to only ever output 1080p @ 50Hz, regardless of the frame rate, so it won't change the output again. Just a thought....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, there's all sorts of options which I tried out when I bought it. Thanks for the thought. Not to worry, though, as I was just about to post that I think I know what's happening: 'switching' is still taking place only a lot quicker. When the vid was it's original 15fps (VidX, say) and the vid playing previously was a 50Hz, VidX would begin to play then stop followed by an onscreen message saying 'Switching to...'.

Now that I've made it 30fps, there's just a blank screen for a second when it's played after a 50Hz vid.
    Quote Quote