VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

Would somebody be so kind to explain to this noob how to create one solid videofile from a source that has eg. 7 chapters where 2 (opening, ending) are external files (referenced by segment UID) from within the main file?

the main file looks like this (chapters):

Prologue
    Opening (external file)
    Part A, Eyecatch, Part B
    Ending (external file)
    Preview

long story: Since the .mkv version of this anime show doesn't play on my Raspberri Pi/Kodi mediacenter (nor under Raspbian) I converted it with Handbrake into MP4s, but then noticed that the intro/outro were missing. After a while I figured out that they were external files inserted on the fly into the show's episodes... I doubt any mkv2mp4 converter can process these to put them together into completeness. So can mkvtoolnix or mkvmerge do it? Thanks, and I hope somebody can solve this for me or send me on the right path to solve it. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried simply starting mkvtoolnix-gui load the first file, then appending the others and save the all together as one file?
    (assuming the files all use compatible video settings and the same audio format this should work)
    see: https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-joining-multi-part-movies-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui/113211

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Have you tried simply starting mkvtoolnix-gui load the first file, then appending the others and save the all together as one file?
    He has the order:
    Prologue
    Opening (external file)
    Part A, Eyecatch, Part B
    Ending (external file)
    Preview

So this operation is more complicated. Basically, he would either have to split the big file into three parts first, or append it thrice (with the other parts inbetweeen) and then use the split parts operation (see mkvmerge doc for appending and splitting). (And as you say compatibility isn't always guaranteed. Not only for video, but also audio and subtitles (hint: ASS headers/styles and fonts))

Other options would be a complete re-encode using e.g. mpv, or a remux or re-encode using UnlinkMKV.

Unfortunately neither of these options is user friendly. You need to read, understand and try.
    Last edited by sneaker; 2nd Nov 2018 at 07:20.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Didn't know UnlinkMKV, sound interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a ton for the help, guys!
    I'll definitely check out unlinkMKV first, looks promising.
    Quote Quote  
  6. btw. there is also a GUI for it: https://github.com/hilts-vaughan/UnlinkMKV-GUI
    Quote Quote