VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, so I need a software which will turn pre-rendered frames (86) into a video but keep the transparency so I can overlay the video onto another.
    The images(frames) are PNG and I dont have a preference for the video format used.

Which software will allow me to do this?
    I don't have a budget so please tell me the best one.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kully00000 View Post
    Hi all, so I need a software which will turn pre-rendered frames (86) into a video but keep the transparency so I can overlay the video onto another.
    The images(frames) are PNG and I dont have a preference for the video format used.

Which software will allow me to do this?
    I don't have a budget so please tell me the best one.

Thanks,

You should have a preference, because you would want a format that is compatible with whatever you're using to perform the overlay.

That will determine what your options are

So what are you using ?

Do you even need to do this ? For example, most video editors can import image sequences
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want an overlay video that is entirely semi transparent or a video that has certain backgrounds that are completely transparent?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Very simple with FFmpeg. Your filenames should contain a sequential number to indicate ordering of the frames. Then,

ffmpeg -i myimage%d.png -c:v huffyuv myvideo.avi

will produce a losslessly compressed video with alpha channel. %d is a placeholder for the number in the filename.
    Quote Quote