VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a USB LIVE 2 Hauppauge bought from Dell (not knockoff) to record old vhs tapes. Funny thing is when I record items from professionally recorded tapes (flight instructions, tutorials, old lesser known videos, etc) it works perfectly. But then I try recording off of tapes my dad recorded off live tv, it basically only will display / record the commercials. As soon as a show comes on it freezes or blanks out. The only thing I can think of is it's either blocking poor quality (which doesn't seem to be the case as other worse videos record) or security / anti-piracy.

That doesn't really make sense either but it's so weird. It will actually stop at the very end of a commercial... Like right when it fades out. Like it will get stuck in the vcr's blue screen with PLAY osd shown until a commercial.

Any ideas? Are there other softwares that work with the USB LIVE 2?

THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite possible that the broadcaster switched on some anti-copy device and the Hauppauge detects the change in the signal.

It might help if you could indicate the original broadcaster to give people familiar with its workings some more info to work with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DScaler works well with my USBLive 2....but it's lossless capture. Not sure what capture codec you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The network is UPN (Paramount). If true, I had no idea that was even possible for over the air analog TV! Do you know of that is for realz?

I downloaded dscaler but got a bit worried about their BSOD/ hardware damage comments. I may give it a try on a old laptop! Thanks for that suggestion!

I forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 10.

Thank you both!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ingallspw View Post
    The network is UPN (Paramount). If true, I had no idea that was even possible for over the air analog TV! Do you know of that is for realz?
    I believe it is possible but have also read that only premium services would do it.

I was merely thinking of a reason for the sudden loss of signal which, as you say, comes back once the 'important stuff ' returns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also use an OLD version of Magix Movie Edit to capture, along with the usual WinTV that came with the unit.
    Quote Quote