VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to convert a PAL DVD of UK origin (576i 25 fps with no telecine) to an MP4 file with 576p 25 fps (not 50 fps, so it is more widely compatible). What is a good way to do this? I have used MakeMKV to create an MPEG2 MKV file.

StaxRip using x264 and QTGMC-medium (to deinterlace) with SelectEven (to get 25 fps) seems to give better results than VidCoder (or Handbrake) using x264 with either Yadif-default or Decomb-default.

Can anyone suggest a better option?

I'd be very grateful for advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the video is really interlaced nothing will beat QTGMC. If it's out-of-phase PAL (really a progressive source) try TFM() instead of QTGMC(). If you don't know, post a sample from the VOB without any processing. Use a program like DgIndex, mark a short sequence with motion, then File -> Save Project and Demux video. Upload the resulting M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by barmah View Post
    I want to convert a PAL DVD of UK origin (576i 25 fps with no telecine) to an MP4 file with 576p 25 fps (not 50 fps, so it is more widely compatible).
    50fps is well supported for standard definition, unless you're using a fairly old hardware player. H264's High Profile, Level 4.1 supports 720p at 60fps and 576p at 150fps, so any player capable of playing Level 4.1 should play it, and Level 4.1 is pretty much the minimum level supported by players these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you to both jagabo and hello_hello for your advice, which is very helpful. The video is interlaced, not out-of-phase, so I'll use QTGMC.
    Quote Quote