VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I hope you can help. Apologies if this is a stupid query, but I am self taught in all things computing and can't figure this one out.

I live in Cambodia and it is pretty much impossible to find subtitles in Khmer for western films (in my searches so far anyway). I want to have these so I can watch movies with my girlfriend.

I have tried to make my own from aready made srt files and translating them via google translate (until i can find a btter way to translate). When I add the file to VLC though, it only shows square boxes instead of the Khmer language.

I have installed Khmer unicode 2.0.1 (got details for that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTJiLLcl4g), I have rebooted after that. I have saved the SRT encoding as UTF-8, and in VLC I have the text renderer to a unicode font (Arial Unicode MS) and have set the text subtitle decoder to Universal (UTF-8).

Is there anything else/different I should be doing?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I did a test. Google translated a subtitle in Subtitle Edit. Saved as .ass. Looks alright to me.

[Attachment 46976 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will see if I can make it work in this file type instead of srt. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Awesome, it seems to be working ok if i make it in subtitle edit as an .ass file (I must admit I thought that filetype may have been a joke on newbies, like tartan paint! lol)
    Quote Quote