VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I hope you can help. Apologies if this is a stupid query, but I am self taught in all things computing and can't figure this one out.

I live in Cambodia and it is pretty much impossible to find subtitles in Khmer for western films (in my searches so far anyway). I want to have these so I can watch movies with my girlfriend.

I have tried to make my own from aready made srt files and translating them via google translate (until i can find a btter way to translate). When I add the file to VLC though, it only shows square boxes instead of the Khmer language.

I have installed Khmer unicode 2.0.1 (got details for that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTJiLLcl4g), I have rebooted after that. I have saved the SRT encoding as UTF-8, and in VLC I have the text renderer to a unicode font (Arial Unicode MS) and have set the text subtitle decoder to Universal (UTF-8).

Is there anything else/different I should be doing?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I did a test. Google translated a subtitle in Subtitle Edit. Saved as .ass. Looks alright to me.

[Attachment 46976 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will see if I can make it work in this file type instead of srt. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Awesome, it seems to be working ok if i make it in subtitle edit as an .ass file (I must admit I thought that filetype may have been a joke on newbies, like tartan paint! lol)
    Quote Quote