VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is raspberry pi an video editing alternative?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try a video editor like Openshot . There are a few other video editors that run on Linux also. Raspberry Pi is a bit slow for editing video, but may work OK for some small projects.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only if you're into self punishment.

A Raspberry Pi would be like editing video on a really good Pentium III, or really crappy Pentium 4 Celeron.

Essentially the way we did things about 20 years ago.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some educators use the Raspberry Pi in their classrooms as it is inexpensive and it's used as a learning tool to help them understand a bit of electronics and PC programming. I wouldn't try to edit with it, but you could. It also makes a decent economy media player. Cost is still less than $50US.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The RPi has hardware decoding for many video and audio codecs, and hardware encoding for at least h.264. Though whether or not any editor supports them I don't know. The CPU is pretty wimpy though it may be fine with standard definition video. I know ffmpeg supports hardware h.264 encoding on the RPi. The few examples I've seen of h.264 encoding on the RPi weren't very good. But I don't know if that was because of the encoder or user error.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Raspberry does not have some weak parameters for such purposes?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by alanowak1985 View Post
    Raspberry does not have some weak parameters for such purposes?
    depends on software - 30 years ago supercomputer with RPi parameters would cost around 20 - 30 mln US $
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably have better luck with a cell phone or tablet. Simply because of more apps to pick from.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A RasbPi may be OK for playback (probably not UHD though IMO) but for editing? You'll spend more time rendering the video than watching it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Most important part of question that need to be addressed - RPi as a alternative but to what? Compared with?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Most important part of question that need to be addressed - RPi as a alternative but to what? Compared with?
    Good point, I'd suggest almost anything made in the last 10 years.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some estimation - quite fair IMHO https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/69hd8f/question_armraspberry_pi_cpu_vs_...tium_mmxiiiii/

I would compare RPi with some older Pentium III family (Katmai 450MHz) - but good point is that RPi sink 1/20 power required to run PIII system and GPU is probably better than PIII times also more RAM (1GB was very high in those times may do significant impact) so judging on this seem SD edition should be quite comfortable and using GPGPU perhaps also HD feasible (memory size may be bottleneck).
    2016 RPi capabilities can be seen on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dSJRzdj1rw - 720p over 30 (40?) fps.
    Bare metal RPI may be faster than this...
    Problem with RPi is not bare metal speed of RPi but way how OS and application are wrote nowadays classic example is simple game on Atari 2600 that will occupy few hundred bytes (yes, sub 1kB) vs same implementation on modern environment where required libraries will occupy over few tens of MB.
    Those MB of code make development easier but cost CPU time.
    Good programmers (coders) can push limit to HW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSBJVFCjWS8 - this is FMV is played on HW that support maximum 16 colors on screen (LUT 512 or 4096 colors - i.e 9 or 12 bit depth RGB). This is pure software pumping data directly to color registers directly from HDD.
    But this is different art of programming - you count CPU cycles - http://atari.8bitchip.info/movpst.php .
    Quote Quote