+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VCR Player: JVC HR-56700EK
    Capture program: Diamond VC500 USB 2.0 One Touch

My VCR has bank of yellow, white and red connection points at front (see Photo). When I connect the Capture cables, red, white and yellow, (video and audio L and R) , press play button on VCR and switch on the Capture record button, I should be able to capture the film on my laptop. However it doestn't work. The problem is with the JVC bank of sockets - although the connection is properly made they are inactive. How do I activate the bank of sockets. See the Photo of them below.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  2. Apparently, you have to first access the menu and set the VCR for either IN or OUT:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/84246/Jvc-Hr-S6700eu.html?page=36#manual
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. I will try it and get back on a day or too. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or just use the video/audio out jacks in the back?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by EamonX1 View Post
    My VCR has bank of yellow, white and red connection points at front (see Photo)...
    Those jacks are input-only, you have to use the output ones at the back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are only two jack sockets at the back. One does give me audio (the audio is captured) but the second does not give me video (I have tried all three jacks in the second socket)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Is your model really a JVC HR-56700EK? I can't find that model anywhere online.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Probably SCART connectors on the back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EamonX1 View Post
    There are only two jack sockets at the back. One does give me audio (the audio is captured) but the second does not give me video (I have tried all three jacks in the second socket)

try pressing the channel button on the VCR/remote usually video 2 for the rear connections.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A) Is your capture software set to capture composite or S-video?
    B) In almost all circumstances you would bet a better result from the S-video connection.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Is your model really a JVC HR-56700EK? I can't find that model anywhere online.
    You will find the manual at this LINK

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf/9/843/84246-jvc/hrs6700eu.pdf?f3bc183044829256b41aab85cac5ad84

The two sockets at rear of VCR are for Audio and when I connect them I can record Audio.

I wonder whether the three sockets at front of VCR are only INput, and I need OUTPUT. Could that be the reason I cant capture the video using those sockets.
    Quote Quote  
  12. There's an s-video output on the back (#2 in the rear diagram). Or you can access video and audio via the SCART connector (#3). You'll need a SCART to s-video or composite, and RCA audio, adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for putting me right. Brilliant. The Capture cable has an S-Video socket, female. The S-Video socket at rear of VCR is also female. Can I get an adapter to join these? Would that suffice.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Use an s-video male/male cable or adapter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connectland-0106033-Video-Connection-Cable/dp/B00ALUT7D0/

Remember, s-video is video only. You'll also need to connect the red/white RCA audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All you would need is a normal S-Video cable....no adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks both.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use an s-video male/male cable or adapter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connectland-0106033-Video-Connection-Cable/dp/B00ALUT7D0/

Remember, s-video is video only. You'll also need to connect the red/white RCA audio.
    I'm back again. I got the S-video cable and connected it as well as the red/white RCA audio. The Audio was recorded, but NO VIDEO. Do I have to change some setting to get it to work?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Make sure the capture software is set to capture from the s-video input.
    Quote Quote  
  19. What software are you using to capture on a pc? If you use virtualdub it sometimes "forgets" or switch the input with some tv capture cards( from Svideo to comp or tvtuner ) you should select again
    [Attachment 47000 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    What software are you using to capture on a pc? If you use virtualdub it sometimes "forgets" or switch the input with some tv capture cards( from Svideo to comp or tvtuner ) you should select again
    [Attachment 47000 - Click to enlarge]
    I am using One Touch Video Capture (Diamond)
    https://www.diamondmm.com/product/diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream/

I have set the VCR to S-Video output.
    Quote Quote  
  21. In VirtualDub2 -- what's in the Device menu? Try both 32 bit and 64 bit VirtualDub2.
    Quote Quote  
  22. In VirtualDub2 -- what's in the Device menu? Try both 32 bit and 64 bit VirtualDub2.
    Mine capture card was not connected (usb ) that's why it didn't show in sources and devices, I wanted to show him that sometimes virtualdub (switches sources without notice tvtuner/svideo/comp my card was avermedia pci card that had the problem ( driver software compatibility problem probably) and after recording (set to svideo) was returning to tvtuner ( or it stayed unselected) and had to manually set each time to get the picture out of vcr.

I am using One Touch Video Capture (Diamond)
    https://www.diamondmm.com/product/diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream/

I have set the VCR to S-Video output.
    I am not familiar with that software but as jagabo pointed out its better to use Virtualdub2 or 1, preferably uncompressed or lossless compressed (lag/hyff) (if you plan to correct the capture after, most of the time with VHS is mandatory) before going for the distribution or play codec/medium intended for watching
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked the user's instructions for the Capture program. The name of the program is Ezgrabber and it is a program on the One Touch Video Capture (Diamond) CD. There is no instruction about the S-Video setting. In any case I downloaded the VirtualDub trial program and ran it, with the same result. It recorded the Audio but NOT the Video. Does that indicate a problem with the VCR. I attach a screenshot of the VCR Input-Output set screen. I have the Output set to S-Video. (I think i have uploaded the screenshot - click on My files below)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Screenshot does not seem to have travelled. I enclose it here.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    The s-video jack on the back is output only, according to the manual, so you shouldn't have to fiddle with any menu settings. What does "NO VIDEO" mean? Black? Snow? Something else?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No video means the screen is blue. If I run the file created it runs like any video file - there is sound but no picture. I ll try to get my hands on another VCR to see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  27. Also try running the s-video output to TV if you can. You can also get an s-video to composite adapter if you only have a TV with a composite input.

https://www.amazon.com/S-Video-Composite-Video-Adapter-Cable/dp/B0000BZ2WC/
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Z43RVP/
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Will try and let you know . Am out of circulation for 2 days but will get back to you then
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by EamonX1 View Post
    No video means the screen is blue. If I run the file created it runs like any video file - there is sound but no picture. I ll try to get my hands on another VCR to see what happens
    This means the VCR is not getting video off the tape. It could be the tape, but more likely something wrong with the deck. Clean the video heads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You say "the film" in your original post, does this mean its a pre-recorded tape ? or is this recording made by yourself ?
    this makes a big difference, if your film is copy protected. aka Macrovision.
    btw... "the film" does play on the tv screen ?
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 25th Oct 2018 at 12:54.
    Quote Quote