VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get rid of the pillarboxing and the ticker. But it's interlaced, so I'm assuming it's not as simple as a crop-and-resize by the relevant number of pixels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	46920
    Quote Quote  
  2. After asking, why not de-interlace it first.....

Interlaced video can be cropped but for YV12 the height cropping has to be multiples of 4.

If you want to keep it interlaced and resize, I think you could use the IResize function.
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1185790#post1185790
    Not that I've used it myself as I always de-interlace.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The game before this one ran long. So I've got the live, ticker-free broadcast of the last three quarters, and the delayed broadcast of the first quarter, with the ticker. I'm trying to get them to match. Obviously switching between interlaced and progressive doesn't really do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    if you want keep it 1920x1080 and result as progresive than deinterlace first, then crop and then resize. I measure roughly the picture and it is 1,875:1 ratio. Resizing croped result to 1920/1080 you have 1,7777777777:1 ratio, so resized picture should be 1920x1024px

But it is slow proces. Can be solved without reencoding on software player or remuxing level. But not for TVs, just for watching on PC

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. oops, nevermind
    Quote Quote  
  6. You either have to deinterlace first, then crop and re-size, or else crop and then use IResize as hello_hello recommended. I'd forgotten about IResize. I've used it before and rather like it, but only if you want to have interlaced video as the final output. I am not a fan of deinterlacing unless you really need to do it (to deliver on the Internet, for instance). It always degrades the video. IResize makes no attempt to estimate pixels and therefore produces a result that is a little more faithful to the original. However, lots of people prefer deinterlacing, and I don't want to start another discussion about that, so try it both ways and see what you prefer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would use QTGMC/crop/resize rather than anything involving iResize. If you crop before QTGMC() be sure to use mod4 on all sides.

This is slightly faster:
    Code:
    Crop(96,0,-96,-108).QTGMC().Spline36Resize(1920,1080)
    than:
    Code:
    QTGMC().Crop(96,0,-96,-108).Spline36Resize(1920,1080)
    Even if I needed interlaced output I would use QTGMC/crop/resize/reinterlace. That will give better results than using iResize. The latter basically just blurs the video vertically to reduce aliasing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You mean you're going to stretch that video vertically and stretch it proportionately more horizontally? And screw up the original aspect ratio?
    The usual goofy stuff for this forum.
    Glad it's not my video.
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 13th Oct 2018 at 20:32.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your condescension is appreciated.

TBH I hadn't actually done the math, I just assumed ESPN weren't idiots and had included the full 1920x1080 original image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    yes, they are not stupid and picture is really 1920x1080, but it depends how things are inserted. Imagine the bottom banner can be inserted over video or video can be squeezed to make space for this banner. What is better solution and how it affected AR you can imagine. If you know how the banner is put in video, then nothing is easiest to resolve this issue.

Edit and i measured the picture you posted and can tell you that without black borders and bottom banner it is 1,875 ratio. So no 1920/1080 = 16/9 but 1,875 is equal to 1920x1024...

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Oct 2018 at 15:50. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    TBH I hadn't actually done the math, I just assumed ESPN weren't idiots and had included the full 1920x1080 original image.
    You didn't say how you got this video onto your computer, and what source it was from. If it was from a cable or satellite broadcast, there should be zero pillarboxing on the side. The fact that you DO have pillarboxing suggests something is wrong in your capture chain. If this is from a DVR, then you should go back and re-do the capture, because I'm pretty sure that ESPN doesn't broadcast pillarboxed material, except on their "classic" channel, where they show video from pre-HD days.

Another thing you should pay VERY special attention to is whether the image that will remain after you remove the crawl is the correct aspect ratio. I do a lot of work for a sports film collector, and sometimes need to do something very similar to what you're doing. What I've found is that sometimes ESPN squishes the image vertically in order to make room for the crawl. Other times they merely crop off the bottom. You need to figure out which applies to your video. If it was squished, your re-size operation is going to have to undo the squish, either before the resize or as part of that operation. On the other hand, if what you are looking at appears to be the correct proportions (i.e., a perfect circle still looks like a circle), then you can do a simple resize after the crop.

[edit]I see Bernix posted something similar about "squishing" while I was writing my post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Made better measure and result is 1,855 but not for sure 16/9
    Quote Quote  
  13. Photoshop says that cut is 1802x972 (one or two lines plus mines).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's capped from a cable box, and yes, it's broadcast pillarboxed. Presumably this is an ESPN Australia thing. On replays, they add that ticker to the bottom, and pillarbox it so as to avoid obscuring whatever graphics need to be seen at the bottom of the screen. Live broadcasts omit the ticker.

Live broadcast:

Name:	Live.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	816.5 KB
ID:	46933

Replay:

Name:	Replay.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	756.6 KB
ID:	46934
    Quote Quote  
  15. Then you should be OK, except that live image has about 10 lines missing at the bottom or it was broadcasted like that. Or you just made up that image?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see the top is cropped. Bottom not.
    Edit - Actually even bottom is affected.
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Oct 2018 at 16:27. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  17. oh, not straight forward to resurrect ar precisely ....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think when you have this two pictures and using some program to made proper measure, you can get correct AR, but not without black bars. Can't be rocket science. Some basic math. My opinion.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I played with this in krita and when you get rid of black bars and bottom crawl precisely and then resize to 1920x103?7? and add 1/2 of remaining 43 pixels on top and bottom you should get right AR.
    Images comming soon in this as edit.

I wasn't much precise. There is also problem what is considered to be black bar and what not. Dark transition.
    Here is result. Original bottom layer and resized relay on top substracted. Logo is exact i think, yes there is bit shift, but i think it is very small and whole layer can be centered also it is affected by progresive and interlaced content.
    If i were you i would play with it bit more.
    [Attachment 46935 - Click to enlarge]

For someone probably horrible, for me acceptable result. Of course without black bars on top and bottom

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Oct 2018 at 17:00.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yeah, obviously they zoom out a bit when adding the stuff at the bottom, while also cropping a little from the height, but it still results in black bars down each side. The aspect ratio looks fine.

In Avisynth-speak, and keeping the cropping mod4, I worked it out to be

crop(88, 0, -88, -100)
    Spline36Resize(1920,1080)

That leaves a few rows of black at the bottom, similar to the "live" screenshot. To remove the black at the bottom completely

crop(96, 0, -96, -108)

Which is exactly what jagabo suggested yesterday. Maybe he was overshadowed by the bad assumption that followed.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    crop(96, 0, -96, -108)

Which is exactly what jagabo suggested yesterday. Maybe he was overshadowed by the bad assumption that followed.
    Yes, I guessed the inset video was still square pixel and cropped/resize accordingly. Of course, koberulz might prefer to leave black letterboxing at the top/bottom instead. Personally, I'd downscale to 1280x720 rather than upscale to 1920x1080. Even the original broadcast wasnt't very sharp so the downscale isn't going to hurt it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. What about that live feed vs. letterboxed one? They do not match. This is not simple zoom out
    Quote Quote  
  23. It's a zoom out and crop top/bottom. You can't restore the full original 16:9 picture. If you want a 16:9 frame without distortion you have to crop some of the picture at the left/right, or leave some black borders top/bottom.

letterboxed (picture registered with the original broadcast for A/B flipping, not centered):

[Attachment 46939 - Click to enlarge]

zoomed:
    [Attachment 46940 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Oct 2018 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  24. yes jagabo, I get it, but cutting 36pixels left and 36 pixels right yet again to get 16:9 ? (for crop(96, 0, -96, -108))

that "shadowy" discussion was about to figure out how to perhaps not to screw up ar, instead to add some black bars at the bottom and top after resize, he posted real image so it might be doable, that's all, I am not going to do that math because I don't need it
    Quote Quote  
  25. you added those pictures in your previous post, that first picture, .... that is what I mean
    Quote Quote  
  26. I did the math, the cropping and resizing are correct. A/B flip between koberulz's live broadcast image and my letterboxed image. You'll see they are the same within a pixel or so -- aside from the black borders (and the fact that they aren't the exact same frame).
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Oct 2018 at 23:34.
    Quote Quote  
  27. ok cropping the first post image I get 1802x972 for the real footage, that means cropping left and right is about (1920-1802)/2 ~ 60 pixels, not 88, not 96 I don't get that , you used something else - that is the "math" we are talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  28. _Al_,

If you want to crop the "replay" image (post #14) to exactly 16:9 so you can resize to 16:9 dimensions such as 1920x1080 without distorting it, you need to crop extra picture from the sides. He wants to replace an existing section with a cropped version, and without any pillarboxing, as per his opening post, therefore it must remain 16:9 so it can be resized to match the rest of the video. The end result is effectively zooming in to lose the unwanted stuff at the bottom. In this case zooming in also removes some picture from the sides (so what remains is 16:9), but don't freak out, that's how it works.

1920 - 96 - 96 = 1728
    1080 - 108 - 972
    1728 / 972 = 1.7777777

The 1728x972 image can be resized back to 1920x1080 without any distortion.
    Or can you see aspect distortion in the cropped/resized version jagabo posted?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th Oct 2018 at 00:21.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Personally, I'd downscale to 1280x720 rather than upscale to 1920x1080. Even the original broadcast wasnt't very sharp so the downscale isn't going to hurt it.
    I'd do the same, especially if it's de-interlaced to 50fps. There's generally very little lost through de-interlacing and downscaling to 720/50p, and when de-interlacing with QTGMC, chances are the 720/50p version will look better.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Personally, I'd downscale to 1280x720 rather than upscale to 1920x1080. Even the original broadcast wasnt't very sharp so the downscale isn't going to hurt it.
    The vast majority of the footage I have is from the live broadcast, so I'd much rather leave that alone at 1080i and edit the first little bit to match.
    Quote Quote