VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, Im almost finished digitizing my tapes. I just have a couple troublesome tapes left and then Ill be done.

This is my first time taking apart tapes, so I chose the one that was less messed up first. I got the tape back in the reels painlessly, but I cant figure out howthe clear tape cover goes on the tape (top left of 1st picture). Did it have adhesive on it 30 years ago? Or do you have to be forceful with this tape cover? Or do I even need it to just play the tape once?

The other tape is a nightmare. Was curious what you guys might try to do with it. I want to save all the tape, so I'd like to save this messed up bunch of tape if possible. But it might be unsalvageable. Should I try and digitize this bad section of tape, or should I cut it out and splice the good sides together without even attempting salvaging it?

Thank you
    Last edited by videon00b; 14th Oct 2018 at 17:09. Reason: made questions more specific
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    1. Should be just a press fit. If it won't stay on, then you'll have to glue it.

2. A lot of that tape will be salvageable if it's just twisted and not creased. Unwind it VERY slowly and carefully and don't put any new creases in it. Playing it a few times will also help to iron it out between the capstan and pinch roller. If you find any tears or holes, best to cut them out and not risk damaging the video heads.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    1. Should be just a press fit. If it won't stay on, then you'll have to glue it.

2. A lot of that tape will be salvageable if it's just twisted and not creased. Unwind it VERY slowly and carefully and don't put any new creases in it. Playing it a few times will also help to iron it out between the capstan and pinch roller. If you find any tears or holes, best to cut them out and not risk damaging the video heads.
    OK thanks Ill try pressing it some more. If that doesn't work, Ill glue it. Do you know what glue is best? I guess youd just glue the middle plastic piece to the plastic cover, being sure not to glue the tape.

Does anyone know which side of the tape youre supposed to use scotch tape on, in relation to when the tape is taken apart. Would you tape on the "top" of the tape (where the mouth of the cassette slides back to reveal the tape when its inserted into a tape player or recorder) or on the "bottom" (where the tape would face the rest of the cassette)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    CA glue should be fine. Keep it away from the tape of course!

Splicing tape should be used on the back of the magnetic tape, the side that does not come in contact with the drum and heads. This is the side that faces toward the center of the reel. Make sure the splice is no wider than the magnetic tape or it will catch in the guides.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    CA glue should be fine. Keep it away from the tape of course!

Splicing tape should be used on the back of the magnetic tape, the side that does not come in contact with the drum and heads. This is the side that faces toward the center of the reel. Make sure the splice is no wider than the magnetic tape or it will catch in the guides.
    The super glue method worked perfectly. That tape is now digitized.

thanks for explaining where the tape goes. Do you know how many feet long video8 tape is? Ive read VHS is over 800 feet long.

Also the second tape is already ripped in the middle actually. I think I may just splice the good sides together, and if that digitizes, then Ill add in the really messed up section, just to see what I can get from it. I dont want to even risk damaging the good part of the tape (at least until I have it digitzed )
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videon00b View Post
    Do you know how many feet long video8 tape is? Ive read VHS is over 800 feet long.
    Linear tape speed is 0.58 ips, so a 120-minute cassette holds about 350 feet of tape. That's why it is so very, very thin.

Also the second tape is already ripped in the middle actually. I think I may just splice the good sides together, and if that digitizes, then Ill add in the really messed up section, just to see what I can get from it. I dont want to even risk damaging the good part of the tape (at least until I have it digitzed )
    The less cutting and splicing you do, the better. There is a risk of damaging the video heads running splices by them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I spliced the bad tape out and played it, turns out theres only a couple minutes of video on that one so the bad tape isnt important. I'm happy to be finished with the video8 tapes.

I converted the tapes into Lagarith codec. Should I convert it to FFV1 for long term storage?

I have some VHS tapes to convert. I suppose I can use the same GV-USB device to convert it losslessly, same settings (720x480, 29.97 fps, etc) as the video8??
    Quote Quote