VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I am making a video compilation of some lost videos from one of my favourite channels that were scattered all over the web (and giving credit of course) and some of the videos I am trying to join are already pretty low quality, so I am trying to do as much as possible with key frame editing and remuxing ie as little encoding as possible. I had to encode once already so they would all have matching height/width ofc, and I can usually join it all rather easily with mkvtoolnix, except some of the video streams are different formats so this time it's impossible without another encode. I was able to avoid encoding over half the videos that first time since many of the videos were already 720p so I just scaled the rest of the videos up to match. I'm hoping I can just use the youtube video joiner, but I am worried it might re-encode the whole thing every time I add a file. I suspect this would be unnecessary since youtube will encode everything to matching formats when I upload it automatically, so joining the files without another encode should be both faster and very possibe after I upload. The problem is I'm not very familiar with the youtube video editor since I do all of my editing before the upload. How exactly would youtube handle this? I would be joining like 50 parts into one so 50 encodes is obviously out of the question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Though I have not used it myself, the YouTube editor should be fine for cut and paste. Just don't use the Stabilize feature as it introduces some awful artifacts. As to re-encoding, you do realise that YouTube re-encodes all uploaded videos, so you need to make sure your original is as good as possible.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah of course, I put that in my post lol. Since it will re-encode automatically, will I be able to join 480p and 360p videos to 720p videos without scaling them up myself? Will it add black borders if I do that? I hate those black borders, I want the video stretched
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    Yeah of course, I put that in my post lol. Since it will re-encode automatically, will I be able to join 480p and 360p videos to 720p videos without scaling them up myself?
    No. Do it on your computer. Just make your intermediate videos lossless (I use Lagarith), so you don't do any further damage to the videos before your one final encode.

(and giving credit of course)
    Of course, you're not trying to monetize the videos, right? And giving credit doesn't protect you from copyright claims. And using someone else's video in your own video is a violation of both the Terms of Service and the Community Guidelines and you should ask the channel owners for permission first.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Of course I'm not trying to make money off them lol, I never liked all the ads and the remember like subscribe bullshit that's at the end of every video. I think an allowance is made for nonprofit videos right? It's a compilation of AVGN videos that were not posted on the AVGN channel, I just want to help people track down more AVGN content that's all. I did ask the guy but he probably gets hundreds of messages every day. He has been doing lets plays and retro video game reviews since before that type of thing was even popular, his channel is very popular. Since I am posting the fair use claim at the beginning of my video, and asking users to support the official release and all that good shit, similar to what they do on the TFS channel at the beginning of each video, and I am putting a credit reel at the end I should be doing this totally legally right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    I think an allowance is made for nonprofit videos right?
    To avoid copyright claims? No. To benefit a future Fair Use claim? It helps, yes.

...I should be doing this totally legally right?
    No.

Your video can still be claimed by a copyright owner, even if you have...

Given credit to the copyright owner
    Refrained from monetizing the infringing video
    Noticed similar videos that appear on YouTube
    Purchased the content on iTunes, a CD, or DVD
    Recorded the content yourself from TV, a movie theater, or the radio
    Stated that “no copyright infringement is intended"
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797466?hl=en
    Quote Quote  
  7. Lol well whatever then, I'll make my fair use claim if it comes to that, but even though his username is "The Angry Video Game Nerd" lol he seems like a nice guy, so I doubt it will come to that. It may not be legal, but neither is jay walking and a bunch of other shit people do every day. But is it wrong? Hell no, I'm giving full credits, and not profiting off it. It's pretty much just for the youtube community to enjoy and that's it, a nice little bonus for them to watch when they run out of new Nerd episodes. It even comes with a catchy opening theme song lol and asks them to support the official release. Plus I already alerted the guy myself so I'm not sure what more I can do about that. If it's not legal, then how is it that TFS is profiting off of abridging Dragon Ball Z episodes? They are most definitely monetizing that. They do their own voices, but the video is straight out of a TV series. Wtf? All they do is post a little opener giving full credits to Akira Toriyama and asking to support the official release. They have millions of subscribers, how do they avoid copyright claims? What is so different between what I am doing and what they are doing?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Are those rhetorical questions? Just because you have next to no understanding of how copyright works, don't expect everyone else to be equally ignorant. I was answering mostly to advise on how to lose as little quality as possible when resizing and joining and reencoding your videos. Again, use lossless codecs until you make your final encode for upload to YouTube. That'll most likely be an MP4 with AAC audio and H.264 video.

Good luck with your channel.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No it wasn't rhetorical. I literally wanted to know how TFS can do that without getting their videos removed if it's not legal. Yeah I have no clue how copyright works and no I did not expect anyone to be ignorant, else why would I have asked? Thanks for pointing out my lackluster knowledge of copyright claims, I am not a big youtuber yet so I haven't needed to know about that subject yet. People specialize, such is life, and my specialty is not video editing, even though I took a class on the subject they never covered copyright and I have learned more about video editing on my own than that class ever taught me. My new channel is meant for my game mods and any programs I may design in the future, this is just a side project, but I do need to know how the copyright system works if I want to post this particular video. Like I said, I'm just a fan looking to support the Cinemassacre channel and provide other fans with more content to watch, I already had collected these videos for my own personal use so there is no reason not to upload them once I realized there were so many lost videos I am sure other fans would just love. I'm not looking for profit, or more attention to my channel, in fact my channel takes a firm stance against bugging people about liking, subscribing, patreon, brilliant.org, etc etc. That shit gets old fast, and it's not what a youtuber wants to hear. Nobody likes ads. If you don't want to answer my question that is fine, I was asking everyone on this website, not just you.

Have a good day
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    No it wasn't rhetorical. I literally wanted to know how TFS can do that without getting their videos removed if it's not legal.
    I have no idea who TFS is (and have no interest in learning). But, maybe they have permission from the copyright holder. Maybe their videos have been claimed and if there are ads, the copyright holder is keeping the money. Maybe the copyright holder figures it's a form of free advertising and encourages others to use their material. Maybe they just haven't been caught yet. There could be several reasons. But none of that has anything at all to do with you and 'your' videos.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [/QUOTE]
    I have no idea who TFS is[/QUOTE]

Like I said before, they are abridgers of popular anime series, meaning they make parodies of TV shows and they do it by taking clips from the shows, smashing them together, and adding their own voices.

[/QUOTE]
    But none of that has anything at all to do with you and 'your' videos.[/QUOTE]

It is quite similar to the video compilation I am making and the only difference is they do their own voices. It only takes one copyright claim to get a video removed, so with 3.2 million subscribers there is no way they haven't been 'caught' yet. I simply wanted do know how they could make multiple series spanning over 100 episodes without getting any of them removed, so I could apply it to my own video. It has everything to do with the compilation I am making.

[/QUOTE]
    Maybe their videos have been claimed and if there are ads, the copyright holder is keeping the money.[/QUOTE]

If giving ad revenue to Cinemassacre is one option, then I am happy to do so. Is there a way to make that arrangement with youtube? You know what, whatever man, I'm just gonna google it.
    Last edited by imkira3; 12th Oct 2018 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Parody is one of the tests for "fair use":

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/
    https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/

For an individual or small company a bigger problem is that the burden of proof falls upon you to prove your product is fair use. If you go to court over this it will cost you tens of thousands of dollars (maybe much more) whether or not your use is fair use. There is rarely any punishment of the copyright holder (aside from their legal costs) for bringing the weakest of cases to course.

Consider the "dancing baby" case:
    https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-asks-supreme-court-review-dancing-baby-copyright-case

There have been many cases of people posting public domain classical recordings to Youtube then someone elseclaims it's their copyrighted recording and gets the proceeds. This has actually become a business model.

Then there is poor fingerprinting which misidentifies recordings and removes them from youtube:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/09/how-contentid-knocked-down-decades-old-rec...-of-beethoven/

And then there's the fact that copyright originally had a term of 14 years with the possibility of renewal for another 14 years.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_1790#Provisions

Since then copyright terms have gotten longer and longer. Disney has been intrumental in this. Every time Mickey Mouse is about to enter the public domain Disney bribes congress to extend the copyright term.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

You can rest assured that nothing produced after 1928 (when Mickey Mouse first appeared on screen) will ever pass to the public domain. Disney will pay to make sure of it.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Oct 2018 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There have been many cases of people posting public domain classical recordings to Youtube then someone elseclaims it's their copyrighted recording and gets the proceeds. This has actually become a business model.
    Holy crap! Some people have no shame. That is despicable. Anyway, thanks for the thorough and informative answer, I feel like it answered my question. I guess all I can do is keep messaging James Rolfe and hope he responds. It's sad that there are over 40 Nerd episodes that most people will never know about, simply because they weren't posted on his channel. Of course they weren't made up to standard so about 20 of them suck, but still. Shitty.

This website needs a like system, I was totally gonna like your post. Oh well.
    Quote Quote  
  14. By the way, Mickey Mouse was a ripoff of another cartoon character, Ozwald the Lucky Rabbit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_the_Lucky_Rabbit

And, of course, they built their empire on copying the works of others (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Lol wasn't it Snow White that nearly bankrupted them but in the end turned a major profit? That would have been ironic. Wow, just once I would like to hear something nice about the Disney corporation, but everything I hear is just evil, from child labor to platurism. It just goes to show the power of money. Despicable.
    Quote Quote