VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am trying to convert several files (VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_4) extracted from a DVD to a single MP4 file.

I used Handbrake to convert the files and MS Photos to merge.

The problem is that when I convert one of the original files, some kind of a menu or an overlay appears, as seen here:

[Attachment 46896 - Click to enlarge]

It is not visible in the original VTS_01_2 file. Could be something related to other VTS files which include menu...? I really do not know.

Is there any way of removing it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't convert the individual vob files on their own rather the whole dvd!

If you have decrypted the dvd to hdd and want to use HandBrake in order to reduce filesize then use "Open source -> Folder (Batch scan) and select the folder VIDEO_TS"

If filesize is of no importance and you want to preserve quality (and being fast) then use MakeMKV (which also acts as a decrypter) then use ffmpeg to re-mux to mp4

Code:
    ffmpeg -i mkvfile.mkv -codec copy mp4file.mp4
    assuming that the audio codec from the dvd (AC3) can be used on your target device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How do I convert the whole DVD? A friend gave me the files - VIDEO_RM folder, VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS, VIDEO_TS, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0, VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, VTS_01_3, VTS_01_4 etc.

I picked VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_4 and converted those, ignoring the rest of the files. I guess that it is not a correct procedure.

I do not have the DVD physically, just those files. I am not sure whether they comprise the full image of the original DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're missing the file extention. But I guess VIDEO_TS, VIDEO_TS could be VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB and you have a complete structure. Try the "Open source -> Folder (Batch scan) and select the folder VIDEO_TS""Open source -> Folder (Batch scan) and select the folder VIDEO_RM" in HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did that and it says the input is invalid. I guess a file or more files is missing.

So if I have a separate video_ts_01_2 file on its own (which plays flawlessly in vlc player) how do I convert it to mp4? Other recommended software (other than Handbrake)?

The rest of the files are ok, only one of them has that "black frame" overlay.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Drag the file VTS_01_1.VOB onto MKVToolnix. The other VOB files are automatically added. Press "Start Multiplexing" and test the resulting MKV file in VLC and if there's no menu overlay use that file as source for conversion to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by LodovicoAriosto View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to convert several files (VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_4) extracted from a DVD to a single MP4 file.

I used Handbrake to convert the files and MS Photos to merge.

The problem is that when I convert one of the original files, Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime some kind of a menu or an overlay appears, as seen here:

[Attachment 46896 - Click to enlarge]

It is not visible in the original VTS_01_2 file. Could be something related to other VTS files which include menu...? I really do not know.

Is there any way of removing it?
    I picked VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_4 and changed over those, disregarding whatever remains of the documents. I figure that it's anything but a right technique.

I don't have the DVD physically, simply those records. I am uncertain about whether they include the full picture of the first DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The clue is in that _RM folder.

What you have is not a standard DVD-video but a recording from a dvd-recorder in 'Recording Mode' instead of 'Video Mode'

Chances are that the recorder added that overlay and the only way you can remove it is to trim the mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I used MKVToolNix as suggested above to convert and merge all 4 parts into a single mkv. It worked - no menu overlay. Then I converted the file to mp4 with VLC player.

As I said, the original files VTS_01_1 to VTS_01_4 looked ok - the problem appeared only after using Handbrake on one of them (batch upload did not work - "invalid source").

Whatever caused that, using MKVToolNix proved to be a sufficient workaround. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  10. You should first be clear about the features of each part of Video_TS including VOB, IFO, BUP.
    Quote Quote